Re: [ksurf] Locations in Bay Area - Advice please

  • Dean Crowell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2006
      Where ever you go the main thing is to kite within your ability until
      you are ready to advance and think through your Exit Strategy if your
      session turns sketchy. The other thing, which sounds slightly lame,
      but as I was reading Rick Iossi's kite fatality report, many of the
      seriously injured avoided the Reaper by wearing helmets. Not the
      first thing I considered when looking at the breezy ocean or lovely
      lake but let's just say I'm helmet shopping -

      Aloha,
      Dean Crowell

      On Jun 15, 2006, at 12:51 PM, John wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I live in Santa Cruz and I'm looking for places to learn and new
      > places to kite.
      >
      > I have a 12 meter Cabrinha kite and have practiced on both a trainer
      > kite and a 5 meter airrush. To date I've not gotten up.
      >
      > I'm in Santa Cruz, and I know the locals head to Scott's Creek. This
      > is a great location, but I'm intimidated by the surf. So I'm
      > thinking of heading over the hill to the bay. Perhaps off 3rd ave.
      > I hear the water is flat and shallow and that it's a good place to
      > learn.
      >
      > Also, I'm wondering if there are any other recommendations you might
      > have.
      >
      > Finally, I travel to monterey on business often and would like to
      > find a good beach down there to kite on. Does anyone have any
      > recommendations?
      >
      > Thanks everyone.
      >
      > Regards.
      > John... aka Calfunguy

    • John
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 16, 2006
        Dean and George,

        Thanks to you both.

        Let's just say I'm long past the personal insult to suggest I wear a
        helmet, or plan an exit strategy.

        And for locations, I'm thinking of heading to Alameda tomorrow for
        the day. I've heard good things about it.

        All the best.

        John

        I'm always grateful for good advice. Can we ever hear it enough?

        \--- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Dean Crowell <dean@...> wrote:

        > Where ever you go the main thing is to kite within your ability
        until
        > you are ready to advance and think through your Exit Strategy if
        your
        > session turns sketchy. The other thing, which sounds slightly
        lame,
        > but as I was reading Rick Iossi's kite fatality report, many of
        the
        > seriously injured avoided the Reaper by wearing helmets. Not the
        > first thing I considered when looking at the breezy ocean or
        lovely
        > lake but let's just say I'm helmet shopping -
        >
        > Aloha,
        > Dean Crowell
        >

        > On Jun 15, 2006, at 12:51 PM, John wrote:
        >
        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > I live in Santa Cruz and I'm looking for places to learn and new
        > > places to kite.
        > >
        > > I have a 12 meter Cabrinha kite and have practiced on both a
        trainer
        > > kite and a 5 meter airrush. To date I've not gotten up.
        > >
        > > I'm in Santa Cruz, and I know the locals head to Scott's Creek.
        This
        > > is a great location, but I'm intimidated by the surf. So I'm
        > > thinking of heading over the hill to the bay. Perhaps off 3rd ave.
        > > I hear the water is flat and shallow and that it's a good place to
        > > learn.
        > >
        > > Also, I'm wondering if there are any other recommendations you
        might
        > > have.
        > >
        > > Finally, I travel to monterey on business often and would like to
        > > find a good beach down there to kite on. Does anyone have any
        > > recommendations?
        > >
        > > Thanks everyone.
        > >
        > > Regards.
        > > John... aka Calfunguy

      • mycolebee
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 20, 2006
          You definitely need a bigger board or kite (than a 12m) for normal
          Alameda conditions.