Flat LEI .vs. classic LEI projected surface

  • hungvu2000@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2006
      I have been playing with Flat LEI and classic LEI kite design and notice
      that the projected surface of a flat LEI is around 15% more than classic
      LEI of the same size (the projected surface of a 10m flat LEI is around
      7.1m and that of a 10m classic LEI is around 6.2m).

      P.S. While the classic LEI projected surface to flat surface ratio is
      pretty "constant", the same ratio in flat LEI may vary slightly
      depending on how flat the kite is.

      Hung.

    • Dean Crowell
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2006
        If a "10M" is really only 6.2 or 7.1, why is it called a 10?
        Dean Crowell

      • hungvu2000@rogers.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 14, 2006
          It's a long story.

          In the last few years, the manufacturers have standardized on using flat
          size as kite size.

          Hung.

          Dean Crowell wrote:

          >If a "10M" is really only 6.2 or 7.1, why is it called a 10?
          >Dean Crowell
          >
          >On Jun 10, 2006, at 5:26 PM, hungvu2000@... wrote:
          >

          >>I have been playing with Flat LEI and classic LEI kite design and
          >>notice
          >>that the projected surface of a flat LEI is around 15% more than
          >>classic
          >>LEI of the same size (the projected surface of a 10m flat LEI is
          >>around
          >>7.1m and that of a 10m classic LEI is around 6.2m).
          >>
          >>P.S. While the classic LEI projected surface to flat surface ratio is
          >>pretty "constant", the same ratio in flat LEI may vary slightly
          >>depending on how flat the kite is.
          >>
          >>Hung.

        • Dean Crowell
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 15, 2006
            So that's how it is! Thanks for the update -
            Dean