help for buying kiteboard

  • Alessandro Ghezzi
    Message 1 of 6 , May 14 11:10 AM
      Hi everybody, I am not beginner kiter but neither an advanced one. My weight is 67kg and I need to change my kiteboard. I have just sold my NaishTT 168cm.
      I go out in Italy in chop conditions with 12-18 knots and I like to buy a multipurpouse board at no more than 250-300 euros.
      Here I have been asked 430 euros for a used SOS razor2 138cm.
      Is it possible to find something like this at lower price?
      thank you everybody,
      Ale.

    • Lex Lissauer
      Message 2 of 6 , May 15 4:31 PM
        For 10-25 knots and 85 kg I would recommend a quiver of 16 and 12. If you
        skip the lightest winds you could even opt for 14 and 9. I'm talking bows
        here, not C-kites, but bows is obviously what you want. The advantage of a
        14/9 quiver are: better handling and you gain a lot more high end (maybe 15
        knots) by sacrificing a bit of low end (say 3 knots) . Also for a beginner
        it is better to be a bit underpowered, hence the 9m, which is the kite you
        should buy first then.

        As for the choice between Wipika Matrix and Best Waroo: I did not find any
        relevant information about the Wipika Matrix on the web and hardly anything
        negative about the Waroo. I even wonder if there is such thing as a Matrix
        2006 kite. So if the choice is between those two: Waroo. I can hardly
        imagine that you ever would regret the purchase.

        So for your first year you shouldn't take a small and radical board, but you
        don't need a ship either. Later you could use it as your light wind board.
        With your size I would recommend a bidirectional board with length 132-140
        (4'4"- 4'7") and width 39-43 cm. ( 15.5"-17"). I would not recommend a
        board less wide as 38.5 cm. A wide board goes well with a bow/SLE
        kite, because you will never need to edge hard. A wide board increases your
        low-end and eases planing.

        I studied the boards you mention, and I was most impressed by the LF Drop
        136. The Proof 151 is the biggest board you mention, so it will be the
        easiest in the beginning probably, but you will soon outgrow it and I think
        it is even too big to be comfortable in light winds once you are advanced.

        To make things more complicated: Have a look at the North Dragon Large
        (134×43). Never set my foot on a board that planed so early and still could
        turn easy. A friend of mine (100+ kg) just learned kiting on this board.

        And then the last advice: Buy (or better borrow) a big and cheap (<$100)
        beginners board for your very first sessions, then once you can stay on
        it, try the boards mentioned above, choose the one you like and get rid of
        the big thing again. Pass it on to a novice.