Kitesurfing in Mississippi

  • Kurtis Nelson
    Message 1 of 6 , May 13, 2006
      I've been in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi for a week now doing Katrina relief work and have noticed excellent steady winds almost every day, maybe 15-20 mph. Does anyone kitesurf down here? The beach is nice, although there is still quite a bit of debris, and the water is pretty warm and shallow for quite a distance from the beach. The hurricane damage is astounding and the needs of people are great. If anyone is interested in doing relief work (and bringing your kite gear) contact calvarychapelrelief.org. Now that the government is gone volunteers are really needed.

      Kurtis

      dvisionca <dvisionca@...> wrote:
      Which is the better kite? I am a beginner and will be purchacing gear
      for the first time.

      to the most frequently asked questions.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Alessandro Ghezzi
      Message 2 of 6 , May 14, 2006
        Hi everybody, I am not beginner kiter but neither an advanced one. My weight is 67kg and I need to change my kiteboard. I have just sold my NaishTT 168cm.
        I go out in Italy in chop conditions with 12-18 knots and I like to buy a multipurpouse board at no more than 250-300 euros.
        Here I have been asked 430 euros for a used SOS razor2 138cm.
        Is it possible to find something like this at lower price?
        thank you everybody,
        Ale.

      • dvisionca
        Message 3 of 6 , May 14, 2006
          I weight 85 KG and am 6 foot tall. I will be riding flat and choppy
          conditions. Average 10-25 knots fairly stable winds.

          Looking for 100% depower and will limit my quiver to 2 kites since I
          will be buying everything at once.

          I have flown the 9M Waroo and liked it although not much experience
          on anything else to compare to.

          The boards I am looking at are liquid force drop 136 / proof 151 or
          the float by Bestkites. I know that a big board is ideal for
          learning but I am also concerned about buying one so big that I may
          need to go smaller and you guessed it more $$$$.

          Hope this will help you to help me.

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Lex Lissauer" <lex.lissauer@...>
          wrote:

          > Wow! And you narrowed down your options to two already!
          > People who want to buy new kites in my environment don't know what
          too
          > choose, because all the kites are so excellent and improved this
          year.
          > Some more information like your weight, and the circumstances at
          the spot
          > you intend to go sailing (flat/waves/choppy, windforce, gusty or
          stable)
          > would help. Did you make a board choise already?
          >
          > On 5/14/06, dvisionca <dvisionca@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Which is the better kite? I am a beginner and will be purchacing
          gear
          > > for the first time.

        • Lex Lissauer
          Message 4 of 6 , May 15, 2006
            For 10-25 knots and 85 kg I would recommend a quiver of 16 and 12. If you
            skip the lightest winds you could even opt for 14 and 9. I'm talking bows
            here, not C-kites, but bows is obviously what you want. The advantage of a
            14/9 quiver are: better handling and you gain a lot more high end (maybe 15
            knots) by sacrificing a bit of low end (say 3 knots) . Also for a beginner
            it is better to be a bit underpowered, hence the 9m, which is the kite you
            should buy first then.

            As for the choice between Wipika Matrix and Best Waroo: I did not find any
            relevant information about the Wipika Matrix on the web and hardly anything
            negative about the Waroo. I even wonder if there is such thing as a Matrix
            2006 kite. So if the choice is between those two: Waroo. I can hardly
            imagine that you ever would regret the purchase.

            So for your first year you shouldn't take a small and radical board, but you
            don't need a ship either. Later you could use it as your light wind board.
            With your size I would recommend a bidirectional board with length 132-140
            (4'4"- 4'7") and width 39-43 cm. ( 15.5"-17"). I would not recommend a
            board less wide as 38.5 cm. A wide board goes well with a bow/SLE
            kite, because you will never need to edge hard. A wide board increases your
            low-end and eases planing.

            I studied the boards you mention, and I was most impressed by the LF Drop
            136. The Proof 151 is the biggest board you mention, so it will be the
            easiest in the beginning probably, but you will soon outgrow it and I think
            it is even too big to be comfortable in light winds once you are advanced.

            To make things more complicated: Have a look at the North Dragon Large
            (134×43). Never set my foot on a board that planed so early and still could
            turn easy. A friend of mine (100+ kg) just learned kiting on this board.

            And then the last advice: Buy (or better borrow) a big and cheap (<$100)
            beginners board for your very first sessions, then once you can stay on
            it, try the boards mentioned above, choose the one you like and get rid of
            the big thing again. Pass it on to a novice.