Re: [ksurf] SLE Reviews

  • Lex Lissauer
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2006
      Hey Jan, thanks for the overview, keep up the good work.
      I'll try to join in by testing as much bows (and hybrids) as I can.

      Here are some comments and supplementary remarks after many sessions with
      the GKSonic in all kinds of circumstances.

      After modifying the GKSonic (11) I am now happy with it and I DO know where
      the kite is without looking. The wind range is accurate for me (75 kg)
      Indeed 12-30 knots, depending on the air temperature (10-26 in cold winds).
      I have been overpowered with it once in gusty 35 - 45 knots. It starts to
      flutter violently, but I could manage to sail it back by keeping the kite
      very low and edging like hell as on a C-kite. The 100% depower appeared to
      be a 90% depower in those circumstances, but it was manageable and still
      safe once arrived on the beach.

      I fixed a depower strap and, because that ruined the full depower safety
      option, I made a safety line which attaches above the power strap. I
      recently discovered that a conventional strap system is now a standard
      option with the GKSonic, so I could just have bought it.

      I made the system more complex by adding an extra attachment point on each
      side between the front and back line attachment points and connecting then
      with a 2 m long line on which a pulley(!) runs, which is attached to the
      steering line. The Waroo has this system as well, only without the pulley.
      This makes steering more direct and increases bar pressure (for steering,
      not for powering). Now I dare to loop this kite also in stronger winds.

      I don't know why everybody is complaining about the GKSonic turning too
      fast. I learned kiting on a Flysurfer Warrior, so I am used to slow turning,
      but I wouldn't mind if they made the Sonic even faster.

      Comments/additions on Jan's review:
      "when I took this kite out I couldn't tell where it was in the sky without
      looking at it"
      Well, I can. I never look at the kite, only after a crash.

      "The stopper on the kite was very easy to disengage and once released it was
      nearly impossible to reset while on the water."
      True. I used it only as a reference point. No Sonic rider actually uses it.
      I am very happy since I put a conventional power strap, loose the full
      depower and can unspin the bar like on any C-kite now.

      "The way the clam cleat worked, and the tension on the lines made it
      difficult to move the power setting"
      True too. I am happy I got rid of it. Worse is, that after a while it wears
      out and especially in strong winds the cord has the tendency to break loose,
      suddenly powering you up to the max. Not safe. I highly recommend replacing
      this system.

      "The kite was very fast. Some people rave about this, but I found it
      twitchy."
      Me not. I think the Waroo 12 turns faster than the Sonic 11.

      "I got many chances to discover how easy the kite was to re-launch."
      Me not. I drop it more on purpose than by accident. If you want a less easy
      relaunch make a bottom turn and after sail in the direction of the kite with
      high speed, preferably depowering totally at the same time. You'll discover
      that the kite will relaunch even if it has gone through its own lines
      several times. Big advantage of bows: NO 5TH LINE!

      I had one session with the Naish Shockwave (7m).
      There must be cheaper devices for building arm muscles.

    • Jan W Couhig
      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2006
        Nice Lex, I am glad you made the Sonic work for you.

        There was a time when modiying your kit was expected. At these prices
        however, the vendor should have already figured all of this stuff out.

        I feel like with most kits we are flying beta testers. With a kite
        that is like being a guine pig.

        That is ture with every single kite we have been reviewing. :(

        A note about the wind range. I don't doubt you have had the Sonic in
        the range you claim. The thing is, most of them will have that same
        kind of range. The differences seem to be in the lower end of the
        kite's range, but becouse of the depower, the upper end seems to be
        about 30 or so with a medium kite.

        So far I am the most impressed with the Xbow (after the bar pressure
        mod) and, for the value the Waroo comes in at a close second.

        I'm really excited right now about Xbow. If it's like last year, the
        new ones come out in 2 months or so. Everyone is treating them like
        they just came out like all the other kites. But they are actualy a
        year ahead of everyone else, and it definitly shows. Of course they
        have allways been the tech leader.

        If the new Xbows have even slightly less bar pressure and one pump,
        they better make a lot of them becouse the market is going to go fully
        to Cabrinha. They will be the cokacola of the kiteing world. We might
        as well all start spelling kite with a C.

        With Best like shasta I hope they succeed in bringing the prices down
        a bit.

        It's going to be interesting, and to think it's only like 2 months or
        so away. Of course if I were Pete I just might sit on the new kites
        and ride the wave for a bit. That really doesn't seem like his
        intention since they already released the contra. Everyone can already
        see the future.

        I keep wondering why I shouldn't get a contra as my usual kite, but
        supposedly they arn't quite right in higher winds.