Kitesurfing on the coast of Ceara, Brazil - Info, video & slideshow

  • vilapreabeach
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2006
      Hi, I´ve been living on the coast of Ceara, in North-East Brazil for
      2 years now and I thought I would give a little insight about the area
      to those looking for some fantastic kitesurfing conditions.

      Six months of guaranteed wind, (July thru December), warm tropical
      climate, (almost on the equator) and miles of prestine beaches (over 600
      km total) with side-on-shore winds (trades winds from Africa), that is
      what you can expect when coming to Ceara.

      Fortaleza is the capital of the state of Ceara. Cumbuco is probably the
      most famous spot with several kite schools and it is closest to
      Fortaleza (about 15 miles). Another spot becoming crowded is Paracuru,
      about 100 miles West of Fortaleza, also good wind and water conditions,
      Paracuru is the largest city on the coast between Fortaleza and
      Jericoacoara.

      Pousadas (brazilian bed and breakfasts) are usually located close to the
      spots, you shouldn't have to walk for more than 5 minutes, and in most
      cases there is lodging right on the beach, then all you have to do is
      wake-up, have breakfast and ride.

      There is a new kite beach coming up called "Prea", it is 7 miles before
      you get to Jericoacoara. It has 10 miles of white sandy beaches with
      constant side-on-shore winds from July to December, guaranteed wind and
      no obstacles or rocks! There are no safety issues here (such as gear
      disappearing on the beach) because of the distance from larger cities
      and the locals are very friendly, many times fishermen will bring back
      lost gear.

      A lot of people remember Prea for its unbelievable 10 km sunset
      downwinders, and the village borders the National Parc where there are
      many flat-water-lagoons (only 10 min. buggy drive), the wind there may
      be a little gusty, but the spots are beautiful.

      Click here to view the kitesurf video
      <http://www.vilaprea.com/Kite%20Beach%20Brazil%20-%20Vila%20Prea%20Hotel\
      %20-%20Broadband.wmv>
      <http://www.vilaprea.com>
      In regards to the wind conditions, on a regular basis in Prea, 20 knots
      in the morning and 25 to 30 in the afternoon, then it usually drops
      about 5 knots before sunset.

      In Sept, Oct and Nov, you may get 3-5 days a month with 35 knots in the
      afternoon, due to the New Moon and Full Moon effects.

      The fishing village of Prea is starting to develop and has a couple of
      restaurants and hotels on the beach, and if you are looking for some
      serious nightlife, Jericoacoara is only a 15 minute dune buggy ride
      away, party goes on from midnight to 6:00 am.

      We just added a new slideshow of the area (kitesurfing pictures, Jeri,
      Prea and the National parc) at:

      Click here to view the new slideshow <http://www.vilaprea.com/pictures>
      <http://www.vilaprea.com/pictures>

      If you need any more info on the area or are looking for lodging visit
      us at www.vilaprea.com <http://www.vilaprea.com> .

    • Bill
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2006
        Looks like paradise. My Brasilian wife and I bought a place on the
        beach in Vila Velha,Espirito Santo last year and it's great but nowhere
        near as windy as the Norteast. Looking forward to spending time outside
        Fortaleza at all the awesome beaches. I've got a bunch of friends that
        have travelled to paracura, cumbuco etc and have come back raving.Post
        some more stuff about Vila Prea etc.Enjoy, we're still kiting in full
        rubber and 40 degree water up here in Northeast USA~muito frio !!!