GK Sonik or Waroo pros/cons pls

  • whyserpico
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 19, 2006
      I`m on the market for a bow kite and from what I heard and read my
      choise now is between Waroo and GK Sonik is there anybody out there
      that can help.I`m 6' 8" around 190pds winds in the area 10-15(20) and
      rare occasions towards 25-30.
      Cheers
    • MARQ MORRISON
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 19, 2006
        hola

        well i was in a three week waiting period for a waroo
        but i could not wait and i got a sweet deal on caution
        answer 12m (live2kite, went out of their way to please
        me). supposedly very similar to the waroo. i used to
        ride a 16.5 contra and the answer really rocks. i'm
        riding in the same range as the contra but i have so
        much more control over the kite. the answer really
        blends the best of the C kites and the bow kites. you
        get the pop and feel of a C when jumping and you the
        really powered grunty feel of a C. you also get the
        depower and the FAST truning speed of a bow, night and
        day when compared with my contra.

        i weigh in at 180 and i rode a 125 litewave in 15-20
        mph wind.

        the transition form my contra to the answer was
        painless. first dive was so fast i almost crashed it
        but after that i adjusted and that was it.

        my roomate flys a crossbow and he could not get over
        how much the answer felt like a C kite when jumping
        and the power. no inversion reports yet. i think this
        will not be a problem due to its shape.

        not to mention i can self launch the same as i did
        with my contra. i really think the hybrid, "in
        bewteen", kites are the future.

        then again what the flip do i know. try before you
        buy.

        peas - Q
        www.intotheairmovie.com

        --- whyserpico <whyserpico@...> wrote:

        > I`m on the market for a bow kite and from what I
        > heard and read my
        > choise now is between Waroo and GK Sonik is there
        > anybody out there
        > that can help.I`m 6' 8" around 190pds winds in the
        > area 10-15(20) and
        > rare occasions towards 25-30.
        > Cheers

        > answers

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Jan W Couhig
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 19, 2006
          Interesting choices! I would be interested to understand your
          reasoning? Have you tried these kites? Did you consider the ION, One,
          or Answer?

          What about the Switchblade, Shockwave, and Turbo Deisle?

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "whyserpico" <whyserpico@...> wrote:

          > I`m on the market for a bow kite and from what I heard and read my
          > choise now is between Waroo and GK Sonik is there anybody out there
          > that can help.I`m 6' 8" around 190pds winds in the area 10-15(20) and
          > rare occasions towards 25-30.
          > Cheers

        • Lex Lissauer
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 20, 2006
            Hi,
            I'm from Europe and I tried to convert your message to European sizes. You
            appear to be extremely tall (over 2 meter) and with 86 kilogram you must be
            quite thin, then. I suppose the wind speed your talking about is knots or
            mph, which is not a very big difference. In both cases you are talking about
            very light wind (3-4 Beaufort). I would recommend a light foil kite like
            Flysurfer Speed (13 or even 17) in that case. If you are rich even the
            "Silverpfeil". It has a higher turning speed than the Sonic 17, and probably
            more power. At the other hand you could use the Sonic 17 also for these
            25-30 winds, but this will not be comfortable sailing. As these winds are
            rare I would buy a cheap kite for these occasions, and the Waroo is cheaper
            than the Sonic. In your situation I would buy a second hand 2004 or 2005
            kite myself. And a not too small board too. 132-140 × 38-41 (4"4'-4"7' ×
            1"3'-1"4')

            Good luck

            On 4/20/06, whyserpico <whyserpico@...> wrote:

            > I`m on the market for a bow kite and from what I heard and read my
            > choise now is between Waroo and GK Sonik is there anybody out there
            > that can help.I`m 6' 8" around 190pds winds in the area 10-15(20) and
            > rare occasions towards 25-30.
            > Cheers

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • malink magombo
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 27, 2006
              best waroo

              in the last year kiting has seen the 'next big thing',
              the bowkite phenomenon. these kites claimed to offer
              total depower, as well as the ability to let go of the
              bar and acitate the safety system. however, problems
              became apparent with issues such as stability, the
              power delivery and most importantly, the phenomenon of
              the kite inverting, which can end up causing a very
              expensive repair. best have released the waroo,
              claiming that all of these problems have been
              adressed, and that all the advantages of tradditional
              C shaped LEI's and bow kites have been maintained.

              ok, the bag. to look at its not that special, but it
              packs down small and can be extended to various sizes,
              including being big enough to accomodate the kite with
              struts inflated. theres a pocket for your pump, and
              you can put your bar at the side of the bag.

              the bar itself is well constructed, with a nice small
              daimeter and a contoured end, allowing you to hold it
              more comfortably. this is particularly nice, as some
              bars ive had in the past have been abysmal to hold for
              long periods. the chicken loop has a release activated
              my a loop and pin, and is mounted on the side of the
              loop, which makes it easier to reach and activate than
              one on top of the loop. the depower line is quite
              long, but reachable with my arms. the trimmer is a
              pull/pull system with long toggles, and again is easy
              to reach with the hands. theres nothing worse than
              being overpowered and not being able to reach the trim
              strap! at either end of the bar are OSR handles, which
              allow you to flag the kite out if need be, handy for
              self landing the kite and a reassuring extra safety
              option.

              the kite itself is well made, the stiching is well
              done and the fabric feels good. the quality of the
              printing seems fine, but time will tell. the kite
              itself appears very simple, there really isnt a lot to
              it when you look at it. theres only 5 struts, and
              bridling is nice and simple. the front lines attach to
              a pulley on the main bridle, allowing the pivot point
              for the depower of the kite to move back and forth
              when used. the brake lines go onto a v shaped line
              which terminates on the front and rear of the wingtip.
              on this are adustment knots for the turning style of
              the kite, as well as further knots which allow you to
              tailor the activation of the safety to your own needs.
              it reminds me of the WAC system you see on flysurfers,
              and certainly gives you the option of making the kite
              suit your flying style a lot better. more on this
              later.
              all the vales are non return, including the main
              bladder, which is certainly apprechiated. more than
              once ive had a pump nozzle come put on a windy day and
              ended up swearing. the only thing missing is a pump
              leash attachment, but you can hold onto the bridle
              instead.

              pumping up the kite is a pretty quick affair, due to
              the thin struts and small number of them. the kite
              likes to be super hard to help it maintain its shape.
              its certainly gets pumped up a lot harder than a
              regular LEI, and initially this is a bit worrying, but
              the kite can take it. also, once inflated you notice
              how light the kite is.

              flying

              you can launch the kite like a regular LEI, weighting
              down the wingtip, or its possible to launch the kite
              by rolling it over from its leading edge by pulling
              one of the brakelines. this takes a bit of practice on
              the land, but is easy enough, and certainly quicker
              and easier than having to weigh down the wingtip
              everytime you stuff up a trick. you do need more than
              10mph of wind to do this however.

              once in the air, on the default settings feels light
              on th bar, but not devoid of feel. the turning
              response is excellent, the kite responding crisply
              like a regular LEI without delay. on the default
              settings the kite turns half like a foil, i.e. on its
              axis, and half like an LEI. being from a foil
              background this is no bad thing, and as i said it can
              be changed if it isnt your thing. the turning radius
              is good but perhaps not quite as tight as a C shaped
              LEI.
              the level of depower feels smooth and progressive, and
              around the last 3 inches of bar travel, you can feel
              the pull from the kite fade and hear a gentle flapping
              of the sail. this is perfectly normal and what the
              kite is designed to do. push the bar out further and
              the pull is negligable, as my kite is set up currenty
              the kite sits at zenith for a while, then slowly
              flutters down. in stronger winds, it gradually
              descends to the edge of the window and sits there,
              benign and awaiting relaunch. by simply adjusting the
              backline tension via the knots on the brakelines, you
              can make the safety actuation more or less prononced.
              i like it set up this way as it gives the benefits of
              total depower, but the kite stays in the air long
              enough for you to recover and reride after a trick, so
              its in effect like have a safe suicide leash. altering
              the amount of backline tension also allows you to
              tailor the amount of available top and bottom end of
              the kite, giving you a bit more windrange and a larger
              comfort zone.
              the level of power in the kite is good, certainly
              more than a 12m C kite. best say the 12m is around the
              power of a 16 C kite, and this doesnt feel too far
              from the truth. the power feels smooth and
              progressive, not as grunty as a C kite but perhaps
              more like a high aspect foil. dont let this put you
              off though as this is relative, and the kite is a lot
              more grunty than a foil. the kite flys fast and
              accelerates quickly, but sheeting out into the safety
              zone soon slows things down again. inital impressions
              remind me of a foil, but only in certain ways. the
              kite feels recognisable in the way that you fly it,
              but seems to combine foil and LEI flying qualities.

              water use

              my first inital water session was at fleetwood beach
              in a gusty 20mph plus wind. a few minutes before i'd
              been out sailing on a regular C shaped kite (a yarga
              pro) and it'd been your typical sail in gusty wind,
              i.e. digging in your edge like mad during the gusts,
              and bearing off downwind and losing ground during the
              lulls. personally i find sailing in these conditions
              more like a war with the kite, rather than you and
              your kit working in unison. this kind of sailing makes
              my thighs ache and my temper frayed.

              anyway, i moved onto the waroo and headed out.
              initially apparent was that now i could maintain a
              constant board speed, instead of speeding or slowing
              as the wind changed in order to maintain control, now
              i could use the depower available on the kite to
              smooth out the ride. instead of flying off every piece
              of chop i could cruise as i wished, and the strain
              going through my legs was much reduced. compared to a
              regular blimp the board seemed to plane from the speed
              of the kite, rather than the grunt available from a
              more classic shaped kite. within a few minutes my
              condifence level had gained, and i was carving and
              throwing the board around despite the less than
              average conditions. jumping was good, but i noticed
              that it was important to maintain backline tension to
              get the most boost from the kite. the jumping style is
              quite foil-like, you didnt need to send the kite back
              as far as a classic kite, but the hangtime and pop
              felt good. it took me a while to dail in the timing
              but it soon comes naturally.

              the first time in decent conditions was over at shell
              island in some small peeling sets. i use a 129 X 39
              twintip and before on my previous kite, it had been
              difficult to get more than 2 or 3 turns on a wave this
              size without being pulled off, or worse straight
              through the face. with this kite it was now possible
              to line myself up for a section and meter out the
              power as desired, easing off as i hit the lip or when
              i carved into toeside to help maintain balance.
              bogging down didnt seem much of a problem as the waroo
              was giving me a high initial boardspeed, and i could
              blend the power of the wave and kite as i wished. this
              day i was able to continuosly link sets together for
              over a mile, something i have never been able to do
              before. to say i felt pretty good was an
              understatement. and getting back wasnt too much of an
              ordeal as you can really point the kite upwind and
              make up some ground.

              land use

              i kite with a mountainboard on a regular basis, and
              this is where i throw most of my freestyle moves as
              ive kited on the land for much longer. using the waroo
              on land is pretty straightforward, you can relaunch by
              rolling the kite as detailed earlier and the depower
              qualities certainly come in useful. my site is inland
              and gusty, and the amount of depower helps to prevent
              loftings a lot more often than on other equipment ive
              used in the past. the only time ive been able to
              overfly is inland, and this was in a severely
              unstable wind. when the kite did this however it just
              fluttered harmlessly to the ground, the important
              thing to remember in this instance is to let go of the
              bar. the kite still has yet to fully invert on me,
              despite deliberately trying on a number of occasions.
              my advice is if landboarding with any bow kite keep an
              eye on it and maintian some backline tension at all
              times so you can feel what the kite is doing.

              trickwise, once i had adjusted the turn settings to
              full 'pivot' style turning, the timing for jumps on
              land became a lot easier. in a wind of around 15mph i
              was getting good boosts from the kite with nice float,
              i still need to work on some aspects of jumping with
              this kite as i feel there is more performance to come.
              recently ive been doing some of the kiteloop moves and
              being able to sheet out mid loop and prevent the
              dreaded mis timed power surge is very useful. my
              backloop kiteloops are smoother than ever and i can
              pop them in less wind. i also apprechiated the fact
              that in blind its very easy to control the kite and
              maintain boardspeed without getting pulled off
              backwards.
              unhooked the kite accelerates well and doesnt stall
              too easily, except in very light wind. its also easy
              to turn the kite one handed with either hand, whatever
              side of the bar you're holding.

              conclusion

              the waroo certainly bridges several different styles
              of riding and flying styles well. as someone who never
              owns more than two kites, this versatility is very
              welcome. plus there is the confidence imbued by the
              safety systems and level of depower, it really is a
              very reassuring ride. the kite has the lightness and
              float of a foil, and the speed and turning of an LEI
              kite. however, the flying style is a blend of the two,
              with its own individualities. with the mixed
              references this is initially a little disconcerting
              but getting dailled in isnt difficult. i like the
              simplicity of the kite and its ease of use, along with
              the attention to detail in the impretant areas. factor
              in the price and it makes for a compelling package.
              the only real dissapointing aspect of the package is
              the pump, mine was abysmal and totally incapable of
              infalting the kite correctly. but i have contacted
              best and they're sending me a replacement. all in all
              this kite has a lot to offer to a lot of people, its
              certainly made my kiting both easier and more
              pleasureable

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • loco4olas
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 28, 2006