Re: [ksurf] Best? who's flown the waroo?

  • loco4olas
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31 5:23 PM
      ANSWERS IN CONTEXT.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Jan W Couhig" <stochastic@...>
      To: <kitesurf@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2006 9:36 AM
      Subject: Re: [ksurf] Best? who's flown the waroo?

      > Ok questions:
      >
      > You fly the 9m in 10 knots at 75kg? Wow! I was worried about buying a
      > 12 and not having enough power. If you are flying a 9 at my weight in
      > 10 knots, the 12 should do it. ...unless...what board were you using?
      > what size? USING 132 FLX OR 132 BEST DRIVE
      >
      > Can you compare the construction to say an R3/5, one of the original
      > North kites, Slingshot kites, some other kite? CONSTRUCTION IS LIGHT AND
      > NOT SEWN AS WELL AS THE CABRINHA/SLINGSHOT ETC. JUST TEH STITCHING IS
      > LIGHTER NOT TRIPPLE STITCHED--BUT IT'S HELD UP WELL WITH LOTS OF SURF
      > TIME.
      >
      > Is the Waroo a bow shape or just a flat kite? Is it swept back at the
      > tips? What is the power stroke for water starting like? I have heard
      > that the flat kites produce really crapy power on the down stroke. SIMILAR
      > IN DESIGN TO THE CABRINHA WITH TEH SWPET TIPS-LOOK ONLINE THERE'S HEAPS OF
      > PHOTOS ETC.
      IT'S GREAT TO RE-LAUNCH-ALMOST AUTO RE-LAUNCHES.

      > what do you mean there is no stoper? If yo let go of the bar to spin
      > it it fully depowers? That doesn't seem right. YES, THAT'S RIGHT. I
      > UNDERSTAND THAT YOU CAN PUT A STOPPER ON THE CENTER LINE-BUT MY MATE'S
      > BEST WAROO BAR DOESN'T HAVE ONE-AND IT SUCKS TO UN-SPIN THE BAR-AND YES IT
      > DEPOWERS.
      >
      > Did you try jumping unhooked? JUMPS FINE.
      >
      > And, another comment I have heard. goes something like
      > ..."Bow/Flat/SLE kites are at the begining. All of the kites being
      > released today will have serious imporvements over the next few years.
      > So if a kite had 'decent' construction, enough to last a year and a
      > halph or so, and it is cheaper than the compitition, that would be the
      > kite to buy. Otherwise you are esentialy paying a premium to beta test
      > a new technology." UMMM-I THINK ESSENTIALLY THE COMMENT IS CORRECT-YES THE
      > BOW/FLATS ARE PRETTY MUCH FIRST GEN. AND YES IMPROVEMENTS WILL COME-BUT
      > THAT IS PRETTY MUCH ALWAYS THE CASE WITH ANYTHING IN EVOLUTION-SHIT LOOK
      > AT COMPUTERS. THEY'RE A GOOD KITE WORTH CONSIDERING.
      >
      > I think the same consideration goes to buying 5 line kites. If the
      > market moves in force to SLEs the 5LC is going have no resale value.
      > So once again you are paying for playing. How much do you want to pay
      > for what kind of play. I THINK 5TH LINE SUCKS MYSELF-MUCH RATHER-AS A WAVE
      > KITESURFER US A SIMPLE 4 LINE SET UP-OR A BOW KITE-I'M GOING TO RIDE MY 4
      > LINES INTO THE GROUND AS THE BOW/FLATS DEVELOP AND PROBABLY GET A 2ND GEN.
      > KITE (IE 2007 OR ALER MODEL)
      >

      > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "loco4olas" <loco4olas@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I normally fly X3 10 or 14 and Yarga 13-my mate bought a Waroo 9
      > about 4
      >> weeks ago.
      >>
      >> He used to fly Nemesis 10 and 14.
      >>
      >> He flies the Waroo through all winds from about 10 knots to 30
      > knots-it's
      >> sweet spot is HUGE!
      >>
      >> I've used it and a 9m Crossbow.
      >

      >> Any specific questions? Ask away.
      >>
      >> Matt

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Jan W Couhig
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
        Has anyone else noticed that as the waroo getts bigger and bigger,
        that it has a completely differnt range than the cabrinha bows? Given
        the wind ranges and expected sweet spots of about a 5 knot range in
        the middle of the stated range; the 14 warro seems equivelent to a cab 12.

        Has anyone flown both 12s in 10 to 17 knots?

        Does anyone know of a place in the SF bay area where one can fly a
        Waroo on test?

      • bhsu24
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
          This past weekend at Ocean Beach in San Francisco Evan from live2kite
          put on a demo day and there were waroos there i flew the 9m and the
          16m in very light wind only on the beach, but i noticed that the kite
          luffed alot, even sometimes while powered up, it luffed more when
          depowered. something i didnt notice while flying the Caution Answer,
          crossbow, Sonic the only bows ive flown.

          Bryan

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Jan W Couhig" <stochastic@...> wrote:

          > Has anyone else noticed that as the waroo getts bigger and bigger,
          > that it has a completely differnt range than the cabrinha bows? Given
          > the wind ranges and expected sweet spots of about a 5 knot range in
          > the middle of the stated range; the 14 warro seems equivelent to a
          cab 12.

          > Has anyone flown both 12s in 10 to 17 knots?
          >
          > Does anyone know of a place in the SF bay area where one can fly a
          > Waroo on test?
          >

          > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "loco4olas" <loco4olas@> wrote:
          > >
          > > ANSWERS IN CONTEXT.

        • M Silva
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
            On 4/3/06 9:46 PM, "Jan W Couhig" <stochastic@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone else noticed that as the waroo getts bigger and bigger,
            > that it has a completely differnt range than the cabrinha bows? Given
            > the wind ranges and expected sweet spots of about a 5 knot range in
            > the middle of the stated range; the 14 warro seems equivelent to a cab 12.

            That's because the waroo is not as flat as the xbow. In smaller sizes, the
            winds power is much stronger, making differences between kites less
            noticeable.

            mykl

            --
            Give me ambiguity or give me something else.