Flat LEIs for beginners?

  • hungvu2000@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 12, 2006
      Since modern flat LEIs can depower 100% (or almost there) and very easy
      to relaunch, should beginners and schools start using them?

      Hung.
    • Lex Lissauer
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 12, 2006
        Beginners: Yes.
        Old school advanced kiters: Yes.
        Waveriders: Yes.
        New school riders: Probably not.
        Schools: Certainly not: Because it is imperative to learn to water relaunch
        traditional 4-line kites. If you can do that, relaunching any other type of
        kite is easy. So schools should not even use 5th line kites in my opinion.
        Additional courses/clinics could be created for bow and foil kites,
        actually any kite which is deviating from the standard 4-line C-shape kite.
        They should be free of charge and organised by the vendors.

        On 3/12/06, hungvu2000@... <hungvu2000@...> wrote:

        > Since modern flat LEIs can depower 100% (or almost there) and very easy
        > to relaunch, should beginners and schools start using them?
        >
        > Hung.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • kitesplosh
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 12, 2006
          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, hungvu2000@... wrote:

          > Since modern flat LEIs can depower 100% (or almost there) and very easy
          > to relaunch, should beginners and schools start using them?
          >
          > Hung.

          My view is a resounding yes. I am somewhere on the boundary between
          beginner and intermediate, and recently purchased a Slingshot turbo
          diesel 12m. This has totaly changed my kiting experience, and resulted
          in approx 5x as much time spent on the water beacuse:

          1) I am going and staying up wo ind consistently on the Flat LEI,
          whereas on a C kite (Naish Aer2) I would go upwind 80=90% of the time
          then get pulled off my edge and have to spend 20mins doing the 'walk
          of shame'

          2) I am never dropping the kite into the water, whereas on the C kite
          a jump, gust or bit of swell would sometime end up with the kite in
          the water and me struggling to relaunch it, particularly in stronger
          winds (no 5th line). It was not uncommon for me to have to pull the
          safety and perform a self rescue. Even if the slingshot does go in the
          water, relaunch is so simple.

          3) The wind range is higher allowing me to go out in gustier conditions.

          4) My confidence has soared, and thus so has my performance.

          The one caveat I would put on this is to make sure that beginners are
          properly trained in the self launch, self landing and self rescue
          techniques with bow kites, as they are slightly different to C kite
          techniques. The original turbo diesel did not have a single front line
          sliding safety leash system, which is still needed in my opinion for
          beginners (particularly in higher winds). Luckily Slingshot have
          rectified this with the improved warranty bar they have released.
        • hungvu2000@rogers.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 12, 2006
            Could the beginners take lesson on a Flat LEI kite and then if needed
            take an extra hour to learn how to relaunch a classic LEI kite ?

            Hung.

            Lex Lissauer wrote:

            >Beginners: Yes.
            >Old school advanced kiters: Yes.
            >Waveriders: Yes.
            >New school riders: Probably not.
            >Schools: Certainly not: Because it is imperative to learn to water relaunch
            >traditional 4-line kites. If you can do that, relaunching any other type of
            >kite is easy. So schools should not even use 5th line kites in my opinion.
            >Additional courses/clinics could be created for bow and foil kites,
            >actually any kite which is deviating from the standard 4-line C-shape kite.
            >They should be free of charge and organised by the vendors.
            >

            >On 3/12/06, hungvu2000@... <hungvu2000@...> wrote:
            >

            >>Since modern flat LEIs can depower 100% (or almost there) and very easy
            >>to relaunch, should beginners and schools start using them?
            >>
            >>Hung.
            >>

            >>If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit
            >>http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for the answers
            >>to the most frequently asked questions.
            >>
            >>=== to unsubscribe, please send an email to
            >>kitesurf-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
            >>Yahoo! Groups Links

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Lex Lissauer
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 13, 2006
              You can learn to drive in a car with an automatic gear, but then you'll have
              a hard time to drive a car with a normal gear box.
              The other way around is easy.
              I fly a bow (GKSonic) mainly because I can't afford a large quiver, but I
              would prefer a set of Impact, Vegas or Raven at the moment.
              I am happy that I can kite with all types of kites. My first 2 kiting years
              I flew easy water relaunchable (Flysurfer) foils. Very nice to learn. The
              first times I dropped a 4-line LEI (blowkite) in the water I could not
              relaunch it, although I knew the theory. I had to let go of the kite and
              swim back. After I learned how to do it in practice, I deciced it is too
              tiresome and sold the kite.