Are new flat LEIs worth it?

  • hungvu2000@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 4:04 AM
      Having used a new flat LEI in the last couple weeks on snow, my response
      is a definite yes for snow (assuming that all flat LEIs are somewhat
      similar).

      So far, there are almost no negative things about the flat LEI kite I used.

      The positive things are:
      - Depower: boy, can these flat kite ever DEpower. I've never had to
      use the safety leash and wonder whether you need it. There was a time I
      crash landed and the bar got off my hand, the kite lost control and shot
      across the wind window. I was not dragged around at all for that.
      - Relaunch on snow: even better than foil. You just let go off the
      bar and the kite will slowly drop and hover at the window edge waiting
      for relaunch. When you relaunch, it goes up slowly and not dragging you
      around like foil.
      - Less kite to carry around: A single 9m feels like a 8m/10m combo
      (or even a 7m/11m combo). Two kite quiver is now possible. For me
      probably a 9 and a 15 flat LEI.

      Jumping is very good and hang time is excellent. The condition have
      never been ideal so I did not have a chance to "take it to the limit";
      however, I would think its "take it to the limit" jumping and hang time
      performance would be better if not the same as the traditional LEIs.

      I will know more about it on water in spring.

      Hung.