Re: [ksurf] Bow kite or classic lei kite?

  • Lex Lissauer
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 21, 2006
      Hi Robert,

      I do like the GKSonic. It don't think there is anything really wrong with
      it. Any kite is a trade-off and has it pros and cons, otherwise there would
      be only exactly one type of kite, no?

      The things I don't like about my GKSonic:
      - Not being able to adjust the depower strap while sailing and the excess of
      rope dangling from my cleat.
      - I can't do really tight kiteloops. The back lines are too slack for that.
      This also causes that I can't steer without really powering the kite. And
      even then:
      - the steering feels indirect: the kite responds delayed.

      This can of course all be caused by my lack of experience or wrong
      adjustment of the lines/bridles or both. Many adjustments can be made.
      Unfortunately I did not find any documentation about line/bridle set-up or
      adjustment for the GKSonic anywhere on the Internet and certainly not on the
      GlobeKite site. Did you? Then please let me know.

      In the 1 month that I sailed it I had it repaired twice. First I had the
      stitching of the leading edge reinforced over the whole length, because the
      inner tube threatened to bulge out and once the cloth ripped from the
      trailing to the leading edge with a "normal" crash. Now maybe there was
      already a tiny tear, which makes the chance of ripping the whole a lot
      bigger. It can just be bad luck and the Brazilian climate is a kite killer
      anyway.

      Kind regards,

      Lex

      On 2/20/06, Robert Thompson <rydestillruff@...> wrote:

      > Dear Lex
      > A friend of mine is thinking about getting a bow
      > aswell and he is really hooked on the gksonic
      > i know bow kites have ups and downs but what is really
      > wrong with it (GKSONICS)
      > i know the crossbow has its set backs everybody knows
      > them IT INVERTS AND IT HAS A COMPLICATED BRIDLE AND IT
      > DOES'NT WORK AS WELL AS OTHER KITES WHEN UNHOOKED AND
      > THE BAR PRESSURE IS INTENCE.
      > but as a user of the gksonic what does it do that you
      > wish it did'nt do or what could it do better.
      > thanks
      > R.

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • PINILLOS
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 21, 2006
        Any one can help me with info of Punta del Este in March? is there any wind
        at this time? beaches?

        thanks

        Luis
        PERU.

        A friend of mine is thinking about getting a bow aswell and he is really
        hooked on the gksonic i know bow kites have ups and downs but what is really
        wrong with it (GKSONICS) i know the crossbow has its set backs everybody
        knows them IT INVERTS AND IT HAS A COMPLICATED BRIDLE AND IT DOES'NT WORK AS
        WELL AS OTHER KITES WHEN UNHOOKED AND THE BAR PRESSURE IS INTENCE.
        but as a user of the gksonic what does it do that you wish it did'nt do or
        what could it do better.
        thanks
        R.

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        to the most frequently asked questions.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • hoekiez
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 21 12:16 AM
          The Hybrids like Vegas06, Tribal (and JN wild Thing and more or less
          Matrix and Impact) are worth their money.
          Wait for next generation bows untill things have sorted out. A.o.
          there will be no more pulleys.(prone to wear/failure)
          Finally the way to go will be a mix of C-kite and Bow.
          IMO The Hybrids are at the moment THE type of kites to go for.

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "kiteghost" <kiteghost@...> wrote:

          > Hi all I'm looking to buy a new kite. I'm looking at the new bow
          style
          > kites but are they really worth the extra money? I can get a new
          2005
          > naish V4 16m half the price of one of the new bow kites. I want to
          use
          > my kites for flat water as well as wave riding.
          >
          > I have the following:
          >
          > 2003 naish Aero2 12m
          > 2003 155mm naish twin tip
          > 2005 140mm Cyclone twin tip
          >
          > Thanks

        • Kitepower Sydney
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 22 3:13 PM
            Our experience here proves the opposite, the majority of kiters prefer bow
            style kites and once they have tried one, they buy one and then buy more.
            Why?
            Because of the huge advantage of being able to push the bar away and depower
            95%, they can control both power and speed which gives a huge boost to
            confidence and lets them focus on learning more. There is nothing better for
            the average rider in both waves and flat water.
            We also sell North, Flexifoil, Naish, Slingshot, Globerider, Peter Lynn,
            Liquid Force, Airush and Cabrinha.
            We let people choose, we never push them towards any particular kite, we
            have a huge demo kite and board range, people buy what they like, bows
            outsell C's 20 to 1, there has to be a reason eh??

            Cya and

            Goodwinds

            Steve McCormack
            www.kitepower.com.au

            From: hoekiez
            Subject: Re: Bow kite or classic lei kite?

          • hungvu2000@rogers.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 22 3:20 PM
              Interesting stat Steve.

              How many flat kites have you sold for 2006?

              Hung.

              Kitepower Sydney wrote:

              >Our experience here proves the opposite, the majority of kiters prefer bow
              >style kites and once they have tried one, they buy one and then buy more.
              >Why?
              >Because of the huge advantage of being able to push the bar away and depower
              >95%, they can control both power and speed which gives a huge boost to
              >confidence and lets them focus on learning more. There is nothing better for
              >the average rider in both waves and flat water.
              >We also sell North, Flexifoil, Naish, Slingshot, Globerider, Peter Lynn,
              >Liquid Force, Airush and Cabrinha.
              >We let people choose, we never push them towards any particular kite, we
              >have a huge demo kite and board range, people buy what they like, bows
              >outsell C's 20 to 1, there has to be a reason eh??
              >

              >Cya and
              >
              >Goodwinds
              >
              >Steve McCormack
              >www.kitepower.com.au
              >
              > From: hoekiez
              >Subject: Re: Bow kite or classic lei kite?
              >
              >The Hybrids like Vegas06, Tribal (and JN wild Thing and more or less Matrix
              >and Impact) are worth their money.
              >Wait for next generation bows untill things have sorted out. A.o.
              >there will be no more pulleys.(prone to wear/failure) Finally the way to go
              >will be a mix of C-kite and Bow.
              >IMO The Hybrids are at the moment THE type of kites to go for.
              >
              >--- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "kiteghost" <kiteghost@...> wrote:
              >

              >>Hi all I'm looking to buy a new kite. I'm looking at the new bow
              >>

              >style
              >

              >>kites but are they really worth the extra money? I can get a new
              >>

              >2005
              >

              >>naish V4 16m half the price of one of the new bow kites. I want to
              >>

              >use
              >

              >>my kites for flat water as well as wave riding.
              >>
              >>I have the following:
              >>
              >>2003 naish Aero2 12m
              >>2003 155mm naish twin tip
              >>2005 140mm Cyclone twin tip
              >>
              >>Thanks

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Eric
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 22 9:15 PM
                Hello

                Does any one know the location of factories where they
                make the kites. I am going to China and would like to
                visit one of these locations and see how the whole
                process works. Especially the bladder trick !
                You can visit a car manufacturer, but what is the
                mistery with the kite manufacturers.
                Slingshot R & D told me flat out that they do not give
                out that information!! Are they hiding something ??
                tx
                Eric

                http://mail.yahoo.com