Re: [ksurf] Bow kite or classic lei kite?

  • kiteghost
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 20, 2006
      Cheers for all the advice it helped loads, it looks like i'll be going
      a 14m bow kite now.
    • Lex Lissauer
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 21, 2006
        Hi Robert,

        I do like the GKSonic. It don't think there is anything really wrong with
        it. Any kite is a trade-off and has it pros and cons, otherwise there would
        be only exactly one type of kite, no?

        The things I don't like about my GKSonic:
        - Not being able to adjust the depower strap while sailing and the excess of
        rope dangling from my cleat.
        - I can't do really tight kiteloops. The back lines are too slack for that.
        This also causes that I can't steer without really powering the kite. And
        even then:
        - the steering feels indirect: the kite responds delayed.

        This can of course all be caused by my lack of experience or wrong
        adjustment of the lines/bridles or both. Many adjustments can be made.
        Unfortunately I did not find any documentation about line/bridle set-up or
        adjustment for the GKSonic anywhere on the Internet and certainly not on the
        GlobeKite site. Did you? Then please let me know.

        In the 1 month that I sailed it I had it repaired twice. First I had the
        stitching of the leading edge reinforced over the whole length, because the
        inner tube threatened to bulge out and once the cloth ripped from the
        trailing to the leading edge with a "normal" crash. Now maybe there was
        already a tiny tear, which makes the chance of ripping the whole a lot
        bigger. It can just be bad luck and the Brazilian climate is a kite killer
        anyway.

        Kind regards,

        Lex

        On 2/20/06, Robert Thompson <rydestillruff@...> wrote:

        > Dear Lex
        > A friend of mine is thinking about getting a bow
        > aswell and he is really hooked on the gksonic
        > i know bow kites have ups and downs but what is really
        > wrong with it (GKSONICS)
        > i know the crossbow has its set backs everybody knows
        > them IT INVERTS AND IT HAS A COMPLICATED BRIDLE AND IT
        > DOES'NT WORK AS WELL AS OTHER KITES WHEN UNHOOKED AND
        > THE BAR PRESSURE IS INTENCE.
        > but as a user of the gksonic what does it do that you
        > wish it did'nt do or what could it do better.
        > thanks
        > R.

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • PINILLOS
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 21, 2006
          Any one can help me with info of Punta del Este in March? is there any wind
          at this time? beaches?

          thanks

          Luis
          PERU.

          A friend of mine is thinking about getting a bow aswell and he is really
          hooked on the gksonic i know bow kites have ups and downs but what is really
          wrong with it (GKSONICS) i know the crossbow has its set backs everybody
          knows them IT INVERTS AND IT HAS A COMPLICATED BRIDLE AND IT DOES'NT WORK AS
          WELL AS OTHER KITES WHEN UNHOOKED AND THE BAR PRESSURE IS INTENCE.
          but as a user of the gksonic what does it do that you wish it did'nt do or
          what could it do better.
          thanks
          R.

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          to the most frequently asked questions.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • hoekiez
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 21 12:16 AM
            The Hybrids like Vegas06, Tribal (and JN wild Thing and more or less
            Matrix and Impact) are worth their money.
            Wait for next generation bows untill things have sorted out. A.o.
            there will be no more pulleys.(prone to wear/failure)
            Finally the way to go will be a mix of C-kite and Bow.
            IMO The Hybrids are at the moment THE type of kites to go for.

            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "kiteghost" <kiteghost@...> wrote:

            > Hi all I'm looking to buy a new kite. I'm looking at the new bow
            style
            > kites but are they really worth the extra money? I can get a new
            2005
            > naish V4 16m half the price of one of the new bow kites. I want to
            use
            > my kites for flat water as well as wave riding.
            >
            > I have the following:
            >
            > 2003 naish Aero2 12m
            > 2003 155mm naish twin tip
            > 2005 140mm Cyclone twin tip
            >
            > Thanks

          • Kitepower Sydney
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 22 3:13 PM
              Our experience here proves the opposite, the majority of kiters prefer bow
              style kites and once they have tried one, they buy one and then buy more.
              Why?
              Because of the huge advantage of being able to push the bar away and depower
              95%, they can control both power and speed which gives a huge boost to
              confidence and lets them focus on learning more. There is nothing better for
              the average rider in both waves and flat water.
              We also sell North, Flexifoil, Naish, Slingshot, Globerider, Peter Lynn,
              Liquid Force, Airush and Cabrinha.
              We let people choose, we never push them towards any particular kite, we
              have a huge demo kite and board range, people buy what they like, bows
              outsell C's 20 to 1, there has to be a reason eh??

              Cya and

              Goodwinds

              Steve McCormack
              www.kitepower.com.au

              From: hoekiez
              Subject: Re: Bow kite or classic lei kite?

            • hungvu2000@rogers.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 22 3:20 PM
                Interesting stat Steve.

                How many flat kites have you sold for 2006?

                Hung.

                Kitepower Sydney wrote:

                >Our experience here proves the opposite, the majority of kiters prefer bow
                >style kites and once they have tried one, they buy one and then buy more.
                >Why?
                >Because of the huge advantage of being able to push the bar away and depower
                >95%, they can control both power and speed which gives a huge boost to
                >confidence and lets them focus on learning more. There is nothing better for
                >the average rider in both waves and flat water.
                >We also sell North, Flexifoil, Naish, Slingshot, Globerider, Peter Lynn,
                >Liquid Force, Airush and Cabrinha.
                >We let people choose, we never push them towards any particular kite, we
                >have a huge demo kite and board range, people buy what they like, bows
                >outsell C's 20 to 1, there has to be a reason eh??
                >

                >Cya and
                >
                >Goodwinds
                >
                >Steve McCormack
                >www.kitepower.com.au
                >
                > From: hoekiez
                >Subject: Re: Bow kite or classic lei kite?
                >
                >The Hybrids like Vegas06, Tribal (and JN wild Thing and more or less Matrix
                >and Impact) are worth their money.
                >Wait for next generation bows untill things have sorted out. A.o.
                >there will be no more pulleys.(prone to wear/failure) Finally the way to go
                >will be a mix of C-kite and Bow.
                >IMO The Hybrids are at the moment THE type of kites to go for.
                >
                >--- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "kiteghost" <kiteghost@...> wrote:
                >

                >>Hi all I'm looking to buy a new kite. I'm looking at the new bow
                >>

                >style
                >

                >>kites but are they really worth the extra money? I can get a new
                >>

                >2005
                >

                >>naish V4 16m half the price of one of the new bow kites. I want to
                >>

                >use
                >

                >>my kites for flat water as well as wave riding.
                >>
                >>I have the following:
                >>
                >>2003 naish Aero2 12m
                >>2003 155mm naish twin tip
                >>2005 140mm Cyclone twin tip
                >>
                >>Thanks

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Eric
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 22 9:15 PM
                  Hello

                  Does any one know the location of factories where they
                  make the kites. I am going to China and would like to
                  visit one of these locations and see how the whole
                  process works. Especially the bladder trick !
                  You can visit a car manufacturer, but what is the
                  mistery with the kite manufacturers.
                  Slingshot R & D told me flat out that they do not give
                  out that information!! Are they hiding something ??
                  tx
                  Eric

                  http://mail.yahoo.com