RE: [ksurf] Bow kite or classic lei kite?

  • Klotz, Michael MD
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2006
      I am in the market for new kites this year and any advice would be appreciated. I primarily ride in the Gorge and have only used North Rhino's (learned in the Gorge on Rhino '02s, Ouch!).
      I am an intermediate rider. I can jump but don't do any tricks in the air yet. Can do a backroll as well. I want to start riding unhooked and try some rotations with jumps. I
      I currently have Rhino '04s (8,12,16) and my 12 needs to be replaced soon. I was in La Ventana last month and demo'd an '06 Vegas and liked it. I am not happy with the quality of construction by North and am thinking of changing brands.
      Tried the Slingshot Octane, but felt it was too twitchy and responsive for my level and would probably not be forgiving for learning tricks.
      Demo'd the Best Waroo and liked it except for the bar pressure. That was my one and only time on a bow kite. A friend tried the same kite with the new Slingshot bar and adjustable stopper ball which is one way to eliminate bar pressure. I have heard good things about the GK Sonic, but not sure who sells them out here in Oregon.
      I was thinking of going with SS Fuels without demo'ing, but am now totally confused. My 12M is my workhorse kite followed by my 8 then 16. If I went Bow I would probably replace my 12 with a 9M. A wide wind range is ideal in the Gorge, but I don't want to be massively overpowered when unhooked.
      Any advice will be appreciated. I am off to Aruba on 3/11 and was hoping to replace my 12 prior to that. The Waroo won't be out until April from what I understand.