Re: [ksurf] Bow kite or classic lei kite?

  • kiteghost
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 20, 2006
      Cheers for all the advice it helped loads, it looks like i'll be going
      a 14m bow kite now.
    • Robert Thompson
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 20, 2006
        Dear Lex
        A friend of mine is thinking about getting a bow
        aswell and he is really hooked on the gksonic
        i know bow kites have ups and downs but what is really
        wrong with it (GKSONICS)
        i know the crossbow has its set backs everybody knows
        them IT INVERTS AND IT HAS A COMPLICATED BRIDLE AND IT
        DOES'NT WORK AS WELL AS OTHER KITES WHEN UNHOOKED AND
        THE BAR PRESSURE IS INTENCE.
        but as a user of the gksonic what does it do that you
        wish it did'nt do or what could it do better.
        thanks
        R.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Lex Lissauer
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 21, 2006
          Hi Robert,

          I do like the GKSonic. It don't think there is anything really wrong with
          it. Any kite is a trade-off and has it pros and cons, otherwise there would
          be only exactly one type of kite, no?

          The things I don't like about my GKSonic:
          - Not being able to adjust the depower strap while sailing and the excess of
          rope dangling from my cleat.
          - I can't do really tight kiteloops. The back lines are too slack for that.
          This also causes that I can't steer without really powering the kite. And
          even then:
          - the steering feels indirect: the kite responds delayed.

          This can of course all be caused by my lack of experience or wrong
          adjustment of the lines/bridles or both. Many adjustments can be made.
          Unfortunately I did not find any documentation about line/bridle set-up or
          adjustment for the GKSonic anywhere on the Internet and certainly not on the
          GlobeKite site. Did you? Then please let me know.

          In the 1 month that I sailed it I had it repaired twice. First I had the
          stitching of the leading edge reinforced over the whole length, because the
          inner tube threatened to bulge out and once the cloth ripped from the
          trailing to the leading edge with a "normal" crash. Now maybe there was
          already a tiny tear, which makes the chance of ripping the whole a lot
          bigger. It can just be bad luck and the Brazilian climate is a kite killer
          anyway.

          Kind regards,

          Lex

          On 2/20/06, Robert Thompson <rydestillruff@...> wrote:

          > Dear Lex
          > A friend of mine is thinking about getting a bow
          > aswell and he is really hooked on the gksonic
          > i know bow kites have ups and downs but what is really
          > wrong with it (GKSONICS)
          > i know the crossbow has its set backs everybody knows
          > them IT INVERTS AND IT HAS A COMPLICATED BRIDLE AND IT
          > DOES'NT WORK AS WELL AS OTHER KITES WHEN UNHOOKED AND
          > THE BAR PRESSURE IS INTENCE.
          > but as a user of the gksonic what does it do that you
          > wish it did'nt do or what could it do better.
          > thanks
          > R.

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • PINILLOS
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 21, 2006
            Any one can help me with info of Punta del Este in March? is there any wind
            at this time? beaches?

            thanks

            Luis
            PERU.

            A friend of mine is thinking about getting a bow aswell and he is really
            hooked on the gksonic i know bow kites have ups and downs but what is really
            wrong with it (GKSONICS) i know the crossbow has its set backs everybody
            knows them IT INVERTS AND IT HAS A COMPLICATED BRIDLE AND IT DOES'NT WORK AS
            WELL AS OTHER KITES WHEN UNHOOKED AND THE BAR PRESSURE IS INTENCE.
            but as a user of the gksonic what does it do that you wish it did'nt do or
            what could it do better.
            thanks
            R.

            http://mail.yahoo.com

            to the most frequently asked questions.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • hoekiez
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 21, 2006
              The Hybrids like Vegas06, Tribal (and JN wild Thing and more or less
              Matrix and Impact) are worth their money.
              Wait for next generation bows untill things have sorted out. A.o.
              there will be no more pulleys.(prone to wear/failure)
              Finally the way to go will be a mix of C-kite and Bow.
              IMO The Hybrids are at the moment THE type of kites to go for.

              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "kiteghost" <kiteghost@...> wrote:

              > Hi all I'm looking to buy a new kite. I'm looking at the new bow
              style
              > kites but are they really worth the extra money? I can get a new
              2005
              > naish V4 16m half the price of one of the new bow kites. I want to
              use
              > my kites for flat water as well as wave riding.
              >
              > I have the following:
              >
              > 2003 naish Aero2 12m
              > 2003 155mm naish twin tip
              > 2005 140mm Cyclone twin tip
              >
              > Thanks

            • Kitepower Sydney
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 22, 2006
                Our experience here proves the opposite, the majority of kiters prefer bow
                style kites and once they have tried one, they buy one and then buy more.
                Why?
                Because of the huge advantage of being able to push the bar away and depower
                95%, they can control both power and speed which gives a huge boost to
                confidence and lets them focus on learning more. There is nothing better for
                the average rider in both waves and flat water.
                We also sell North, Flexifoil, Naish, Slingshot, Globerider, Peter Lynn,
                Liquid Force, Airush and Cabrinha.
                We let people choose, we never push them towards any particular kite, we
                have a huge demo kite and board range, people buy what they like, bows
                outsell C's 20 to 1, there has to be a reason eh??

                Cya and

                Goodwinds

                Steve McCormack
                www.kitepower.com.au

                From: hoekiez
                Subject: Re: Bow kite or classic lei kite?

              • hungvu2000@rogers.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 22, 2006
                  Interesting stat Steve.

                  How many flat kites have you sold for 2006?

                  Hung.

                  Kitepower Sydney wrote:

                  >Our experience here proves the opposite, the majority of kiters prefer bow
                  >style kites and once they have tried one, they buy one and then buy more.
                  >Why?
                  >Because of the huge advantage of being able to push the bar away and depower
                  >95%, they can control both power and speed which gives a huge boost to
                  >confidence and lets them focus on learning more. There is nothing better for
                  >the average rider in both waves and flat water.
                  >We also sell North, Flexifoil, Naish, Slingshot, Globerider, Peter Lynn,
                  >Liquid Force, Airush and Cabrinha.
                  >We let people choose, we never push them towards any particular kite, we
                  >have a huge demo kite and board range, people buy what they like, bows
                  >outsell C's 20 to 1, there has to be a reason eh??
                  >

                  >Cya and
                  >
                  >Goodwinds
                  >
                  >Steve McCormack
                  >www.kitepower.com.au
                  >
                  > From: hoekiez
                  >Subject: Re: Bow kite or classic lei kite?
                  >
                  >The Hybrids like Vegas06, Tribal (and JN wild Thing and more or less Matrix
                  >and Impact) are worth their money.
                  >Wait for next generation bows untill things have sorted out. A.o.
                  >there will be no more pulleys.(prone to wear/failure) Finally the way to go
                  >will be a mix of C-kite and Bow.
                  >IMO The Hybrids are at the moment THE type of kites to go for.
                  >
                  >--- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "kiteghost" <kiteghost@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >>Hi all I'm looking to buy a new kite. I'm looking at the new bow
                  >>

                  >style
                  >

                  >>kites but are they really worth the extra money? I can get a new
                  >>

                  >2005
                  >

                  >>naish V4 16m half the price of one of the new bow kites. I want to
                  >>

                  >use
                  >

                  >>my kites for flat water as well as wave riding.
                  >>
                  >>I have the following:
                  >>
                  >>2003 naish Aero2 12m
                  >>2003 155mm naish twin tip
                  >>2005 140mm Cyclone twin tip
                  >>
                  >>Thanks

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Eric
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 22, 2006
                    Hello

                    Does any one know the location of factories where they
                    make the kites. I am going to China and would like to
                    visit one of these locations and see how the whole
                    process works. Especially the bladder trick !
                    You can visit a car manufacturer, but what is the
                    mistery with the kite manufacturers.
                    Slingshot R & D told me flat out that they do not give
                    out that information!! Are they hiding something ??
                    tx
                    Eric

                    http://mail.yahoo.com