Re: [ksurf] Bow kite or classic lei kite?

  • Lex Lissauer
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 20, 2006
      Best and GlobeKite (GKSonic) have quite cheap, and in my opinion, good bow
      kites. I bought a GKSonic 11m myself, because I could not afford to buy a
      quiver and so I needed a kite with a broad range. And this it has: I could
      sail it in 12 knots when others were out with 14-16m as well as in 25-30
      knots when others were out with 5-7 m.
      In the light wind I needed to really work hard (sinus) to get it going, but
      once it was going I could go fast and just enough upwind to return to the
      same point. The high winds were more fun. Of course my kite was slower then
      the small ones, but I could make tremendous high and/or long jumps with
      absolute control. Although I have not yet been overpowered with this kite
      (so I don't know the high end limit) I would prefer a smaller kite in high
      winds, because it is faster. Next time I go to Brazil I will bring an 8m bow
      kite.

      Some bow kites have a high bar pressure. The GKSonic has a very light bar
      pressure. The weight of my arm supplies exactly enough. With a bow kite you
      'play trombone' with the bar all the time, so high bar pressure is a
      disaster. With most C-shape kites you counter gusts and lulls mainly by more
      or less edging the board, with a bow you do it all with the kite/bar, so
      you're more free to do with the board whatever you want, which makes it
      apparently a good kite for wave riding.

      In very high wind (7 Beaufort with 40+ knots gusts) I used to go out with a
      4½m kite. This is extremely nervous sailing. Sometimes I had to sinus like
      hell to keep going and the next split second I was violently lifted off the
      water. I guess that a 8m bow kite would be a lot smoother ride in such
      weather and I'd love to try it.

      For advanced and new school kiters I would not recommend this bow kite, at
      least not a big one. It is however possible to unhook and to loop the kite,
      but there are other (classic) kite much better at that, such as F.One Impact
      and Slingshot Octane. At the other hand I have seen one guy with a Best
      prototype bow kite doing all these unhooked tricks for 2 hours in a row.
      Rotations with kite loop as well as handle-passes.

      Last but not least: Consider the safety options: Bow kites have only 4 lines
      and are very easy water relaunchable. At least my GKSonic is. The worst that
      ever happened was when I misjudged a gybe and sailed in shore break towards
      my kite making the lines go slack and the kite swirl down, going several
      times through its lines. I was able to restart it and sail without a
      problem, but had to go on shore and rearrange the crossed lines. A 5th line
      would probably have been sliced the kite.

      On 2/19/06, kiteghost <kiteghost@...> wrote:

      > Hi all I'm looking to buy a new kite. I'm looking at the new bow style
      > kites but are they really worth the extra money? I can get a new 2005
      > naish V4 16m half the price of one of the new bow kites. I want to use
      > my kites for flat water as well as wave riding.
      >
      > I have the following:
      >
      > 2003 naish Aero2 12m
      > 2003 155mm naish twin tip
      > 2005 140mm Cyclone twin tip
      >
      > Thanks

      > http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm<http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/faqs.htm>for the answers

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • kiteghost
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 20, 2006
        Cheers for all the advice it helped loads, it looks like i'll be going
        a 14m bow kite now.
      • Robert Thompson
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 20, 2006
          Dear Lex
          A friend of mine is thinking about getting a bow
          aswell and he is really hooked on the gksonic
          i know bow kites have ups and downs but what is really
          wrong with it (GKSONICS)
          i know the crossbow has its set backs everybody knows
          them IT INVERTS AND IT HAS A COMPLICATED BRIDLE AND IT
          DOES'NT WORK AS WELL AS OTHER KITES WHEN UNHOOKED AND
          THE BAR PRESSURE IS INTENCE.
          but as a user of the gksonic what does it do that you
          wish it did'nt do or what could it do better.
          thanks
          R.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Lex Lissauer
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 21, 2006
            Hi Robert,

            I do like the GKSonic. It don't think there is anything really wrong with
            it. Any kite is a trade-off and has it pros and cons, otherwise there would
            be only exactly one type of kite, no?

            The things I don't like about my GKSonic:
            - Not being able to adjust the depower strap while sailing and the excess of
            rope dangling from my cleat.
            - I can't do really tight kiteloops. The back lines are too slack for that.
            This also causes that I can't steer without really powering the kite. And
            even then:
            - the steering feels indirect: the kite responds delayed.

            This can of course all be caused by my lack of experience or wrong
            adjustment of the lines/bridles or both. Many adjustments can be made.
            Unfortunately I did not find any documentation about line/bridle set-up or
            adjustment for the GKSonic anywhere on the Internet and certainly not on the
            GlobeKite site. Did you? Then please let me know.

            In the 1 month that I sailed it I had it repaired twice. First I had the
            stitching of the leading edge reinforced over the whole length, because the
            inner tube threatened to bulge out and once the cloth ripped from the
            trailing to the leading edge with a "normal" crash. Now maybe there was
            already a tiny tear, which makes the chance of ripping the whole a lot
            bigger. It can just be bad luck and the Brazilian climate is a kite killer
            anyway.

            Kind regards,

            Lex

            On 2/20/06, Robert Thompson <rydestillruff@...> wrote:

            > Dear Lex
            > A friend of mine is thinking about getting a bow
            > aswell and he is really hooked on the gksonic
            > i know bow kites have ups and downs but what is really
            > wrong with it (GKSONICS)
            > i know the crossbow has its set backs everybody knows
            > them IT INVERTS AND IT HAS A COMPLICATED BRIDLE AND IT
            > DOES'NT WORK AS WELL AS OTHER KITES WHEN UNHOOKED AND
            > THE BAR PRESSURE IS INTENCE.
            > but as a user of the gksonic what does it do that you
            > wish it did'nt do or what could it do better.
            > thanks
            > R.

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • PINILLOS
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 21, 2006
              Any one can help me with info of Punta del Este in March? is there any wind
              at this time? beaches?

              thanks

              Luis
              PERU.

              A friend of mine is thinking about getting a bow aswell and he is really
              hooked on the gksonic i know bow kites have ups and downs but what is really
              wrong with it (GKSONICS) i know the crossbow has its set backs everybody
              knows them IT INVERTS AND IT HAS A COMPLICATED BRIDLE AND IT DOES'NT WORK AS
              WELL AS OTHER KITES WHEN UNHOOKED AND THE BAR PRESSURE IS INTENCE.
              but as a user of the gksonic what does it do that you wish it did'nt do or
              what could it do better.
              thanks
              R.

              http://mail.yahoo.com

              to the most frequently asked questions.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • hoekiez
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 21, 2006
                The Hybrids like Vegas06, Tribal (and JN wild Thing and more or less
                Matrix and Impact) are worth their money.
                Wait for next generation bows untill things have sorted out. A.o.
                there will be no more pulleys.(prone to wear/failure)
                Finally the way to go will be a mix of C-kite and Bow.
                IMO The Hybrids are at the moment THE type of kites to go for.

                --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "kiteghost" <kiteghost@...> wrote:

                > Hi all I'm looking to buy a new kite. I'm looking at the new bow
                style
                > kites but are they really worth the extra money? I can get a new
                2005
                > naish V4 16m half the price of one of the new bow kites. I want to
                use
                > my kites for flat water as well as wave riding.
                >
                > I have the following:
                >
                > 2003 naish Aero2 12m
                > 2003 155mm naish twin tip
                > 2005 140mm Cyclone twin tip
                >
                > Thanks

              • Kitepower Sydney
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 22, 2006
                  Our experience here proves the opposite, the majority of kiters prefer bow
                  style kites and once they have tried one, they buy one and then buy more.
                  Why?
                  Because of the huge advantage of being able to push the bar away and depower
                  95%, they can control both power and speed which gives a huge boost to
                  confidence and lets them focus on learning more. There is nothing better for
                  the average rider in both waves and flat water.
                  We also sell North, Flexifoil, Naish, Slingshot, Globerider, Peter Lynn,
                  Liquid Force, Airush and Cabrinha.
                  We let people choose, we never push them towards any particular kite, we
                  have a huge demo kite and board range, people buy what they like, bows
                  outsell C's 20 to 1, there has to be a reason eh??

                  Cya and

                  Goodwinds

                  Steve McCormack
                  www.kitepower.com.au

                  From: hoekiez
                  Subject: Re: Bow kite or classic lei kite?

                • hungvu2000@rogers.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 22, 2006
                    Interesting stat Steve.

                    How many flat kites have you sold for 2006?

                    Hung.

                    Kitepower Sydney wrote:

                    >Our experience here proves the opposite, the majority of kiters prefer bow
                    >style kites and once they have tried one, they buy one and then buy more.
                    >Why?
                    >Because of the huge advantage of being able to push the bar away and depower
                    >95%, they can control both power and speed which gives a huge boost to
                    >confidence and lets them focus on learning more. There is nothing better for
                    >the average rider in both waves and flat water.
                    >We also sell North, Flexifoil, Naish, Slingshot, Globerider, Peter Lynn,
                    >Liquid Force, Airush and Cabrinha.
                    >We let people choose, we never push them towards any particular kite, we
                    >have a huge demo kite and board range, people buy what they like, bows
                    >outsell C's 20 to 1, there has to be a reason eh??
                    >

                    >Cya and
                    >
                    >Goodwinds
                    >
                    >Steve McCormack
                    >www.kitepower.com.au
                    >
                    > From: hoekiez
                    >Subject: Re: Bow kite or classic lei kite?
                    >
                    >The Hybrids like Vegas06, Tribal (and JN wild Thing and more or less Matrix
                    >and Impact) are worth their money.
                    >Wait for next generation bows untill things have sorted out. A.o.
                    >there will be no more pulleys.(prone to wear/failure) Finally the way to go
                    >will be a mix of C-kite and Bow.
                    >IMO The Hybrids are at the moment THE type of kites to go for.
                    >
                    >--- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "kiteghost" <kiteghost@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >>Hi all I'm looking to buy a new kite. I'm looking at the new bow
                    >>

                    >style
                    >

                    >>kites but are they really worth the extra money? I can get a new
                    >>

                    >2005
                    >

                    >>naish V4 16m half the price of one of the new bow kites. I want to
                    >>

                    >use
                    >

                    >>my kites for flat water as well as wave riding.
                    >>
                    >>I have the following:
                    >>
                    >>2003 naish Aero2 12m
                    >>2003 155mm naish twin tip
                    >>2005 140mm Cyclone twin tip
                    >>
                    >>Thanks

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Eric
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 22, 2006
                      Hello

                      Does any one know the location of factories where they
                      make the kites. I am going to China and would like to
                      visit one of these locations and see how the whole
                      process works. Especially the bladder trick !
                      You can visit a car manufacturer, but what is the
                      mistery with the kite manufacturers.
                      Slingshot R & D told me flat out that they do not give
                      out that information!! Are they hiding something ??
                      tx
                      Eric

                      http://mail.yahoo.com