Re: [ksurf] Bow kite or classic lei kite?

  • Brian Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2006
      Hi Kitegohst

      Don't wish to go into the pros and cons of bow/SLE style kites here, there
      has been enough written elsewhere to conclude that the bow/SLE concept still
      has a way to go to be the ultimate design - except if used specifically for
      wave riding where they seem to be the business.
      Just wanted to point out that the V4 is in fact a 2004 kite - V4 was
      replaced by Torch 1 in 2005 and now Torch 2 in 2006. - V4 however is
      regarded as one of the best low end grunt kites ever.
      You should be able to pick up any 2005 model at 50% of bow price.

      Best regards

      Brian

      (========o]></

      _/\/¯¯¯¯¯¯\--/\_
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Brian Wilson
      Suntrax
      Tel/fax 27 (0)21 5560044
      cell; 0824656696
      13 Bayside Centre
      Tableview
      Cape Town
      www.suntrax.co.za
      info@...
      Mon - Fri 9am-7.00pm
      Sat 9am-5pm
      Sun 9.30am- 2.00pm

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 20, 2006
        I am in the market for new kites this year and any advice would be appreciated. I primarily ride in the Gorge and have only used North Rhino's (learned in the Gorge on Rhino '02s, Ouch!).
        I am an intermediate rider. I can jump but don't do any tricks in the air yet. Can do a backroll as well. I want to start riding unhooked and try some rotations with jumps. I
        I currently have Rhino '04s (8,12,16) and my 12 needs to be replaced soon. I was in La Ventana last month and demo'd an '06 Vegas and liked it. I am not happy with the quality of construction by North and am thinking of changing brands.
        Tried the Slingshot Octane, but felt it was too twitchy and responsive for my level and would probably not be forgiving for learning tricks.
        Demo'd the Best Waroo and liked it except for the bar pressure. That was my one and only time on a bow kite. A friend tried the same kite with the new Slingshot bar and adjustable stopper ball which is one way to eliminate bar pressure. I have heard good things about the GK Sonic, but not sure who sells them out here in Oregon.
        I was thinking of going with SS Fuels without demo'ing, but am now totally confused. My 12M is my workhorse kite followed by my 8 then 16. If I went Bow I would probably replace my 12 with a 9M. A wide wind range is ideal in the Gorge, but I don't want to be massively overpowered when unhooked.
        Any advice will be appreciated. I am off to Aruba on 3/11 and was hoping to replace my 12 prior to that. The Waroo won't be out until April from what I understand.
        Thanks.