Bow kite or classic lei kite?

  • kiteghost
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 19, 2006
      Hi all I'm looking to buy a new kite. I'm looking at the new bow style
      kites but are they really worth the extra money? I can get a new 2005
      naish V4 16m half the price of one of the new bow kites. I want to use
      my kites for flat water as well as wave riding.

      I have the following:

      2003 naish Aero2 12m
      2003 155mm naish twin tip
      2005 140mm Cyclone twin tip

      Thanks
    • Lex Lissauer
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 20, 2006
        Best and GlobeKite (GKSonic) have quite cheap, and in my opinion, good bow
        kites. I bought a GKSonic 11m myself, because I could not afford to buy a
        quiver and so I needed a kite with a broad range. And this it has: I could
        sail it in 12 knots when others were out with 14-16m as well as in 25-30
        knots when others were out with 5-7 m.
        In the light wind I needed to really work hard (sinus) to get it going, but
        once it was going I could go fast and just enough upwind to return to the
        same point. The high winds were more fun. Of course my kite was slower then
        the small ones, but I could make tremendous high and/or long jumps with
        absolute control. Although I have not yet been overpowered with this kite
        (so I don't know the high end limit) I would prefer a smaller kite in high
        winds, because it is faster. Next time I go to Brazil I will bring an 8m bow
        kite.

        Some bow kites have a high bar pressure. The GKSonic has a very light bar
        pressure. The weight of my arm supplies exactly enough. With a bow kite you
        'play trombone' with the bar all the time, so high bar pressure is a
        disaster. With most C-shape kites you counter gusts and lulls mainly by more
        or less edging the board, with a bow you do it all with the kite/bar, so
        you're more free to do with the board whatever you want, which makes it
        apparently a good kite for wave riding.

        In very high wind (7 Beaufort with 40+ knots gusts) I used to go out with a
        4½m kite. This is extremely nervous sailing. Sometimes I had to sinus like
        hell to keep going and the next split second I was violently lifted off the
        water. I guess that a 8m bow kite would be a lot smoother ride in such
        weather and I'd love to try it.

        For advanced and new school kiters I would not recommend this bow kite, at
        least not a big one. It is however possible to unhook and to loop the kite,
        but there are other (classic) kite much better at that, such as F.One Impact
        and Slingshot Octane. At the other hand I have seen one guy with a Best
        prototype bow kite doing all these unhooked tricks for 2 hours in a row.
        Rotations with kite loop as well as handle-passes.

        Last but not least: Consider the safety options: Bow kites have only 4 lines
        and are very easy water relaunchable. At least my GKSonic is. The worst that
        ever happened was when I misjudged a gybe and sailed in shore break towards
        my kite making the lines go slack and the kite swirl down, going several
        times through its lines. I was able to restart it and sail without a
        problem, but had to go on shore and rearrange the crossed lines. A 5th line
        would probably have been sliced the kite.

        On 2/19/06, kiteghost <kiteghost@...> wrote:

        > Hi all I'm looking to buy a new kite. I'm looking at the new bow style
        > kites but are they really worth the extra money? I can get a new 2005
        > naish V4 16m half the price of one of the new bow kites. I want to use
        > my kites for flat water as well as wave riding.
        >
        > I have the following:
        >
        > 2003 naish Aero2 12m
        > 2003 155mm naish twin tip
        > 2005 140mm Cyclone twin tip
        >
        > Thanks

        > http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm<http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/faqs.htm>for the answers

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • kiteghost
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 20, 2006
          Cheers for all the advice it helped loads, it looks like i'll be going
          a 14m bow kite now.
        • Robert Thompson
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 20, 2006
            Dear Lex
            A friend of mine is thinking about getting a bow
            aswell and he is really hooked on the gksonic
            i know bow kites have ups and downs but what is really
            wrong with it (GKSONICS)
            i know the crossbow has its set backs everybody knows
            them IT INVERTS AND IT HAS A COMPLICATED BRIDLE AND IT
            DOES'NT WORK AS WELL AS OTHER KITES WHEN UNHOOKED AND
            THE BAR PRESSURE IS INTENCE.
            but as a user of the gksonic what does it do that you
            wish it did'nt do or what could it do better.
            thanks
            R.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Lex Lissauer
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 21, 2006
              Hi Robert,

              I do like the GKSonic. It don't think there is anything really wrong with
              it. Any kite is a trade-off and has it pros and cons, otherwise there would
              be only exactly one type of kite, no?

              The things I don't like about my GKSonic:
              - Not being able to adjust the depower strap while sailing and the excess of
              rope dangling from my cleat.
              - I can't do really tight kiteloops. The back lines are too slack for that.
              This also causes that I can't steer without really powering the kite. And
              even then:
              - the steering feels indirect: the kite responds delayed.

              This can of course all be caused by my lack of experience or wrong
              adjustment of the lines/bridles or both. Many adjustments can be made.
              Unfortunately I did not find any documentation about line/bridle set-up or
              adjustment for the GKSonic anywhere on the Internet and certainly not on the
              GlobeKite site. Did you? Then please let me know.

              In the 1 month that I sailed it I had it repaired twice. First I had the
              stitching of the leading edge reinforced over the whole length, because the
              inner tube threatened to bulge out and once the cloth ripped from the
              trailing to the leading edge with a "normal" crash. Now maybe there was
              already a tiny tear, which makes the chance of ripping the whole a lot
              bigger. It can just be bad luck and the Brazilian climate is a kite killer
              anyway.

              Kind regards,

              Lex

              On 2/20/06, Robert Thompson <rydestillruff@...> wrote:

              > Dear Lex
              > A friend of mine is thinking about getting a bow
              > aswell and he is really hooked on the gksonic
              > i know bow kites have ups and downs but what is really
              > wrong with it (GKSONICS)
              > i know the crossbow has its set backs everybody knows
              > them IT INVERTS AND IT HAS A COMPLICATED BRIDLE AND IT
              > DOES'NT WORK AS WELL AS OTHER KITES WHEN UNHOOKED AND
              > THE BAR PRESSURE IS INTENCE.
              > but as a user of the gksonic what does it do that you
              > wish it did'nt do or what could it do better.
              > thanks
              > R.

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • PINILLOS
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 21, 2006
                Any one can help me with info of Punta del Este in March? is there any wind
                at this time? beaches?

                thanks

                Luis
                PERU.

                A friend of mine is thinking about getting a bow aswell and he is really
                hooked on the gksonic i know bow kites have ups and downs but what is really
                wrong with it (GKSONICS) i know the crossbow has its set backs everybody
                knows them IT INVERTS AND IT HAS A COMPLICATED BRIDLE AND IT DOES'NT WORK AS
                WELL AS OTHER KITES WHEN UNHOOKED AND THE BAR PRESSURE IS INTENCE.
                but as a user of the gksonic what does it do that you wish it did'nt do or
                what could it do better.
                thanks
                R.

                http://mail.yahoo.com

                to the most frequently asked questions.

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • hoekiez
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 21, 2006
                  The Hybrids like Vegas06, Tribal (and JN wild Thing and more or less
                  Matrix and Impact) are worth their money.
                  Wait for next generation bows untill things have sorted out. A.o.
                  there will be no more pulleys.(prone to wear/failure)
                  Finally the way to go will be a mix of C-kite and Bow.
                  IMO The Hybrids are at the moment THE type of kites to go for.

                  --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "kiteghost" <kiteghost@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all I'm looking to buy a new kite. I'm looking at the new bow
                  style
                  > kites but are they really worth the extra money? I can get a new
                  2005
                  > naish V4 16m half the price of one of the new bow kites. I want to
                  use
                  > my kites for flat water as well as wave riding.
                  >
                  > I have the following:
                  >
                  > 2003 naish Aero2 12m
                  > 2003 155mm naish twin tip
                  > 2005 140mm Cyclone twin tip
                  >
                  > Thanks

                • Kitepower Sydney
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 22, 2006
                    Our experience here proves the opposite, the majority of kiters prefer bow
                    style kites and once they have tried one, they buy one and then buy more.
                    Why?
                    Because of the huge advantage of being able to push the bar away and depower
                    95%, they can control both power and speed which gives a huge boost to
                    confidence and lets them focus on learning more. There is nothing better for
                    the average rider in both waves and flat water.
                    We also sell North, Flexifoil, Naish, Slingshot, Globerider, Peter Lynn,
                    Liquid Force, Airush and Cabrinha.
                    We let people choose, we never push them towards any particular kite, we
                    have a huge demo kite and board range, people buy what they like, bows
                    outsell C's 20 to 1, there has to be a reason eh??

                    Cya and

                    Goodwinds

                    Steve McCormack
                    www.kitepower.com.au

                    From: hoekiez
                    Subject: Re: Bow kite or classic lei kite?

                  • hungvu2000@rogers.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 22, 2006
                      Interesting stat Steve.

                      How many flat kites have you sold for 2006?

                      Hung.

                      Kitepower Sydney wrote:

                      >Our experience here proves the opposite, the majority of kiters prefer bow
                      >style kites and once they have tried one, they buy one and then buy more.
                      >Why?
                      >Because of the huge advantage of being able to push the bar away and depower
                      >95%, they can control both power and speed which gives a huge boost to
                      >confidence and lets them focus on learning more. There is nothing better for
                      >the average rider in both waves and flat water.
                      >We also sell North, Flexifoil, Naish, Slingshot, Globerider, Peter Lynn,
                      >Liquid Force, Airush and Cabrinha.
                      >We let people choose, we never push them towards any particular kite, we
                      >have a huge demo kite and board range, people buy what they like, bows
                      >outsell C's 20 to 1, there has to be a reason eh??
                      >

                      >Cya and
                      >
                      >Goodwinds
                      >
                      >Steve McCormack
                      >www.kitepower.com.au
                      >
                      > From: hoekiez
                      >Subject: Re: Bow kite or classic lei kite?
                      >
                      >The Hybrids like Vegas06, Tribal (and JN wild Thing and more or less Matrix
                      >and Impact) are worth their money.
                      >Wait for next generation bows untill things have sorted out. A.o.
                      >there will be no more pulleys.(prone to wear/failure) Finally the way to go
                      >will be a mix of C-kite and Bow.
                      >IMO The Hybrids are at the moment THE type of kites to go for.
                      >
                      >--- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "kiteghost" <kiteghost@...> wrote:
                      >

                      >>Hi all I'm looking to buy a new kite. I'm looking at the new bow
                      >>

                      >style
                      >

                      >>kites but are they really worth the extra money? I can get a new
                      >>

                      >2005
                      >

                      >>naish V4 16m half the price of one of the new bow kites. I want to
                      >>

                      >use
                      >

                      >>my kites for flat water as well as wave riding.
                      >>
                      >>I have the following:
                      >>
                      >>2003 naish Aero2 12m
                      >>2003 155mm naish twin tip
                      >>2005 140mm Cyclone twin tip
                      >>
                      >>Thanks

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Eric
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 22, 2006
                        Hello

                        Does any one know the location of factories where they
                        make the kites. I am going to China and would like to
                        visit one of these locations and see how the whole
                        process works. Especially the bladder trick !
                        You can visit a car manufacturer, but what is the
                        mistery with the kite manufacturers.
                        Slingshot R & D told me flat out that they do not give
                        out that information!! Are they hiding something ??
                        tx
                        Eric

                        http://mail.yahoo.com