Do go to Panama.....

  • jim cancil
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10 6:21 AM
      I went down on business - there's some great prospects there within a growing economy
      and a fairly stable situaton. You'll not find the quality of product for export compared to
      China but if you wanted to get in on tourism or retirement, there's some obvious
      opportunity.

      I checked out the close-in beaches - within a couple of hours of Panama: Rio Mar,
      Coronado and Santa Clara. None would be on my list. The trend is to make them private/
      limited access or as in Santa Clara - a weekend beach spot for lots of locals. The beaches
      are slopy with closeuots and it appears the dry season winds may be mostly side-off.

      About 5 hours away is the BEAUTIFUL Pacific coast. On the drive, the winds were about
      15kts over land, but went flat when we got to the ocean. Plenty of breaks for regular
      surfing and one beach - Playa Venado - looked perfect to live out the rest of your surf life.
      Compared to DR, Panama appears totally pristine.

      Plane tickets are expensive, car rentals not cheap but it's a great place without 'that
      feeling' you get in some under-developed countries. I'd go back to Cabarete if I wanted a
      kite spot.

      Jim
    • jim cancil
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11 3:04 PM
        .....I'll add something that I should have read before I went: www.kitesurfpanama.com/

        It appears that I drove right past the prime spot, and when I saw the other beaches nearby
        it was at high tide and it did not look very appealing. Some places like Cabarete have very
        little tide, so only the wind is a consideration.

        Jim