Re: [ksurf] Digest Number 3514--->bulding our own boards

  • makis "Principia"
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2006
      Hello from Athens of Greece.
      I want to ask if u know any guides that can make u
      feel comfortable in building my own board.
      I know its not a 1-2-3 step tutorial but more than
      that.
      I m willing to give it a try though ;)

      === message truncated ===

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • georgeiw@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2006
        Eric Wilhelm has some instructions on instructables.com on how to make
        boards.
        Tim Andesen has some information at zeroprestige.org.
        In Greece you should have access to Marine Plywood, british standard 1088,
        they are usually called okume or maranti. Both of these plywoods have 7
        laminations in 9mm, 3/8", and they are solid plys with no voids, this gives lots of
        strength and a good amount of flex.
        Here in the US they come 4' x 8', there they are probably 1meter by 2 meters.
        From one sheet make a short board 4' x 16" across the top. From the rest
        make one board your 'regular' size say 40 x 158. That will leave room for a big
        board up to 190 long and really wide. Don't go overboard but a 180 x 60is not
        unreasonable for the lightest days. Fins are not required but if you do add
        them put them on the heel side. Put holes in the middle and you can put the
        fins there for your first 3 or 4 sessions then take them off and fill the holes
        with wax.
        There you go an instant quiver. Once you are good you will not use the big
        board. You can cut it in half, make it smaller and make a travel board out of
        it.
        Put varnish, paint or epoxy on the wood to protect it. If you have a router,
        round off the edges. If not do it with very rough sand paper. 40 or 50 grit.
        Let us know how it goes.
        George