RE: [ksurf] Beginner kiteboards

  • Klotz, Michael MD
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2 2:29 PM
      I learned on the ubiquitous Slingshot Drake (147cm?) and when I could stay up wind reasonably well I jumped down to a Jimmy Lewis Dominatrix 135 and my riding improved dramatically (I usually ride 12 and 8 m kites but also use it with my 16). Last year I bought a Slingshot SX 151 as my lightwind board and it is great when I cannot stay upwind on the Jimmy. I would not get too big of a board (unless dirt cheap) as you may outgrow it in a few sessons.
      Michael Klotz
      From: "pjminor_uk" <jonathan@...>
      Subject: Beginner's boards - advice?

      I'd be very grateful for some advice about boards suitable for learning on.
      Despite looking all round the web, most of the descriptions of boards seem
      to be filled with marketing hype, and I just can't work out what I should be
      looking for.

      1) I'm 85Kg, very tall (wide stance), with 15 years windsurfing experience
      on wave.
      2) I have some limited kiting experience on an old wipika 15m, with a 6 foot
      8 directional.
      I've also had a few lessons.
      3) I've just purchased a 2nd hand Slingshot Fuel 13m for learning. (It may
      not be the best option but I'm constrained on funds.)
      4) I will sail on the UK coast on rocky/stony beaches, so durability is
      important. No real waves but plenty of chop.
      5) I just want a board for learning, zoooming around on, learning to go
      upwind and progressing. Nothing fancy at this stage.

      So what should I be looking for in a board and the dimensions baffle me
      since beginners boards seem to come in a range of sizes?
      If I was to buy new, I would get an Airush Square 3, but not sure what
      boards I should be going for if I try to get one second hand. SHould I just
      go for anything with similar dimensions thats not too old? I'd prefer to get
      something good rather than a cheap thing which a shop just wants to get off
      its shelves.

      Many thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

      Jonathan M

      to the most frequently asked questions.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      DISCLAIMER:
    • George
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3 11:27 AM
        I got the Slinghsot Drake 147 as my 2nd board (my
        first was a Lw 169). I had a real problem staying
        upwing with this board while learning. It is
        quite narrow and has lots of rocker for surf
        riding, but not that good for under-powered riding.
        However, once you get better and feel more confident
        taking a a bigger kite out, it should work OK. It
        edges well, but is very stiff. (I weigh 160
        lbs/73kgs)

        George.

        --- "Klotz, Michael MD"

        http://mail.yahoo.com