Beginner kiteboards

  • Chris M. Moore
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2006
      Jonathan,

      I have had great success with the Cabrinha Prodigy 158 kiteboard. I like
      this board over other boards because it is large enough to be a forgiving
      beginner board, but the edges(rails) are not all big and fat like other big
      boards so you can also ride this board with advanced skills and really edge
      the board to control your speed. Big surfboard style rails are going to
      equate to super sonic speed in higher winds that will be uncontrollable. Be
      careful with something too large and something with big fat rails..

      I have been extremely pleased with the Cabrinh Prodigy 158 twintip. I would
      not suggest a directional as it is much harder to learn to gybe a
      directional than to do a reverse heel side slide with a twintip!

      Hope this helps!

      Chris Moore
      www.khkkiteboarding.com
      Kiteboarding Instructor

      From: "pjminor_uk" <jonathan@...>
      Subject: Beginner's boards - advice?

      I'd be very grateful for some advice about boards suitable for learning on.
      Despite looking all round the web, most of the descriptions of boards seem
      to be filled with marketing hype, and I just can't work out what I should be
      looking for.

      1) I'm 85Kg, very tall (wide stance), with 15 years windsurfing experience
      on wave.
      2) I have some limited kiting experience on an old wipika 15m, with a 6 foot
      8 directional.
      I've also had a few lessons.
      3) I've just purchased a 2nd hand Slingshot Fuel 13m for learning. (It may
      not be the best option but I'm constrained on funds.)
      4) I will sail on the UK coast on rocky/stony beaches, so durability is
      important. No real waves but plenty of chop.
      5) I just want a board for learning, zoooming around on, learning to go
      upwind and progressing. Nothing fancy at this stage.

      So what should I be looking for in a board and the dimensions baffle me
      since beginners boards seem to come in a range of sizes?
      If I was to buy new, I would get an Airush Square 3, but not sure what
      boards I should be going for if I try to get one second hand. SHould I just
      go for anything with similar dimensions thats not too old? I'd prefer to get
      something good rather than a cheap thing which a shop just wants to get off
      its shelves.

      Many thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

      Jonathan M
    • Pedro P Guimaraes
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2006
        I have to agree with Chris here, I have (and still do) use a Prodigy
        158. It has been a really good board for learning and I am really
        happy with it.

        ~pedro