Re: [ksurf] Digest Number 3514

  • georgeiw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1 10:15 AM
      I agree on the plywood. Sounds like you need something in the 165 to 180
      range with from 15 to 18" width.
      If you can find Okume or Maranti marine plywood you can make them out of
      3/8" or 9mm. This stuff is much stronger, more uniform and less warpy than
      regular plywood. From 1 sheet you can make 3 boards.

      It is really strong and has the right amount of flex. You can ride them flat
      in light wind and then they flex into a rockered shape as the wind picks up
      and you push into them.

      Fins are not required but when you start out they might help in the middle
      of the heel side.
      small ones on the tips are useful as well.
      Fins on the toe-side will be of no use until you ride toe side.... not very
      soon.
      Where are you located?
      George

    • makis "Principia"
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3 2:17 AM
        Hello from Athens of Greece.
        I want to ask if u know any guides that can make u
        feel comfortable in building my own board.
        I know its not a 1-2-3 step tutorial but more than
        that.
        I m willing to give it a try though ;)

        === message truncated ===

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • georgeiw@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3 6:17 AM
          Eric Wilhelm has some instructions on instructables.com on how to make
          boards.
          Tim Andesen has some information at zeroprestige.org.
          In Greece you should have access to Marine Plywood, british standard 1088,
          they are usually called okume or maranti. Both of these plywoods have 7
          laminations in 9mm, 3/8", and they are solid plys with no voids, this gives lots of
          strength and a good amount of flex.
          Here in the US they come 4' x 8', there they are probably 1meter by 2 meters.
          From one sheet make a short board 4' x 16" across the top. From the rest
          make one board your 'regular' size say 40 x 158. That will leave room for a big
          board up to 190 long and really wide. Don't go overboard but a 180 x 60is not
          unreasonable for the lightest days. Fins are not required but if you do add
          them put them on the heel side. Put holes in the middle and you can put the
          fins there for your first 3 or 4 sessions then take them off and fill the holes
          with wax.
          There you go an instant quiver. Once you are good you will not use the big
          board. You can cut it in half, make it smaller and make a travel board out of
          it.
          Put varnish, paint or epoxy on the wood to protect it. If you have a router,
          round off the edges. If not do it with very rough sand paper. 40 or 50 grit.
          Let us know how it goes.
          George