Re: [ksurf] Digest Number 3514

  • Dix Franklin
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
      Jonathan, with out trying to sound too much like a wise guy, the best way to
      avoid "marketing hype" is to build your own boards from plywood. I've used
      fin-less plywood boards for a couple years and they are great for everyday
      use.

      I've even cut them down in size to try new shapes. GL...
      From: "fatkidonline" <fatkidonline@...>
      2. Beginner's boards - advice?
      From: "pjminor_uk" <jonathan@...>
      3. RE: Vegas 06 kites
      From: "Klotz, Michael MD" <michael.klotz@...>
      4. Re: Beginner's boards - advice?
      From: Erik Mermagen <mermagen@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 04:18:37 -0000
      From: "fatkidonline" <fatkidonline@...>
      Subject: Vegas 06 kites

      Has anyone tried the new north vegas kites? Everyone is hyping them
      up. How about the ocean rodeo one kites?? Which is better? I like the
      fact that ocean rodeo stuff is built to last more than 6 months.
      I have vegas05 kites that work great.

      Message: 2
      Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:42:17 -0000
      From: "pjminor_uk" <jonathan@...>
      Subject: Beginner's boards - advice?

      I'd be very grateful for some advice about boards suitable for learning on.
      Despite looking
      all round the web, most of the descriptions of boards seem to be filled with
      marketing
      hype, and I just can't work out what I should be looking for.

      1) I'm 85Kg, very tall (wide stance), with 15 years windsurfing experience
      on wave.
      2) I have some limited kiting experience on an old wipika 15m, with a 6 foot
      8 directional.
      I've also had a few lessons.
      3) I've just purchased a 2nd hand Slingshot Fuel 13m for learning. (It may
      not be the best
      option but I'm constrained on funds.)
      4) I will sail on the UK coast on rocky/stony beaches, so durability is
      important. No real
      waves but plenty of chop.
      5) I just want a board for learning, zoooming around on, learning to go
      upwind and
      progressing. Nothing fancy at this stage.

      So what should I be looking for in a board and the dimensions baffle me
      since beginners
      boards seem to come in a range of sizes?
      If I was to buy new, I would get an Airush Square 3, but not sure what
      boards I should be
      going for if I try to get one second hand. SHould I just go for anything
      with similar
      dimensions thats not too old? I'd prefer to get something good rather than a
      cheap thing
      which a shop just wants to get off its shelves.

      Many thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

      Jonathan M

      Message: 3
      Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 09:01:09 -0800
      From: "Klotz, Michael MD" <michael.klotz@...>
      Subject: RE: Vegas 06 kites

      I was in La Ventana last week and demo'd the Vegas '06. I loved it! I
      currently ride Rhino '04s and prior to that I learned on Rhino '02s (and
      survived). I rode a 10M while I had been on my 12 Rhino. Very stable,
      quick, slt less bar pressure than the Rhino, great going upwind. I need to
      replace at least my 12M this season and am seriously considering the Vegas.
      I want to demo the Rhino '06 and slingshot fuels. I tried the SS Octane and
      felt it was too twitchy for my level of learning tricks (I can jump and do a
      backrolls only to date). Tried the Best Waru (sp?) which was my first time
      on a Bow kite. Too much bar pressure in my opinion, but only spent 30 min
      on it and didn't fool with tuning. Great price!
      Never tried Ocean Rodeo kites.
      I ride mostly in the Gorge and am looking for a kite with wide wind range
      and that can handle gusts. Feedback is welcome.

      Has anyone tried the new north vegas kites? Everyone is hyping them
      up. How about the ocean rodeo one kites?? Which is better? I like the
      fact that ocean rodeo stuff is built to last more than 6 months.
      I have vegas05 kites that work great.

      to the most frequently asked questions.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      DISCLAIMER:
      This message is intended for the sole use of the addressee, and may contain
      under applicable law. If you are not the addressee you are hereby notified
      that you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute to anyone the message or
      any information contained in the message. If you have received this message
      in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete
      this message.

      Message: 4
      Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:44:55 -0500
      From: Erik Mermagen <mermagen@...>
      Subject: Re: Beginner's boards - advice?

      Find a Slingshot LFT. TONS of upwind confidence. Fairly light. EASY up
      on plane. Not too huge. I had one and LOVED it. I think it was 167cm or
      so. I got mine for $200. Ride fast. Take a lot of chances.
      Erik
      On Jan 31, 2006, at 8:42 AM, pjminor_uk wrote:

[...]

      ---
      [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude/F-Prot Virus]

      ---
      [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude/F-Prot Virus]
    • georgeiw@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
        I agree on the plywood. Sounds like you need something in the 165 to 180
        range with from 15 to 18" width.
        If you can find Okume or Maranti marine plywood you can make them out of
        3/8" or 9mm. This stuff is much stronger, more uniform and less warpy than
        regular plywood. From 1 sheet you can make 3 boards.

        It is really strong and has the right amount of flex. You can ride them flat
        in light wind and then they flex into a rockered shape as the wind picks up
        and you push into them.

        Fins are not required but when you start out they might help in the middle
        of the heel side.
        small ones on the tips are useful as well.
        Fins on the toe-side will be of no use until you ride toe side.... not very
        soon.
        Where are you located?
        George

      • makis "Principia"
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2006
          Hello from Athens of Greece.
          I want to ask if u know any guides that can make u
          feel comfortable in building my own board.
          I know its not a 1-2-3 step tutorial but more than
          that.
          I m willing to give it a try though ;)

          === message truncated ===

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • georgeiw@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2006
            Eric Wilhelm has some instructions on instructables.com on how to make
            boards.
            Tim Andesen has some information at zeroprestige.org.
            In Greece you should have access to Marine Plywood, british standard 1088,
            they are usually called okume or maranti. Both of these plywoods have 7
            laminations in 9mm, 3/8", and they are solid plys with no voids, this gives lots of
            strength and a good amount of flex.
            Here in the US they come 4' x 8', there they are probably 1meter by 2 meters.
            From one sheet make a short board 4' x 16" across the top. From the rest
            make one board your 'regular' size say 40 x 158. That will leave room for a big
            board up to 190 long and really wide. Don't go overboard but a 180 x 60is not
            unreasonable for the lightest days. Fins are not required but if you do add
            them put them on the heel side. Put holes in the middle and you can put the
            fins there for your first 3 or 4 sessions then take them off and fill the holes
            with wax.
            There you go an instant quiver. Once you are good you will not use the big
            board. You can cut it in half, make it smaller and make a travel board out of
            it.
            Put varnish, paint or epoxy on the wood to protect it. If you have a router,
            round off the edges. If not do it with very rough sand paper. 40 or 50 grit.
            Let us know how it goes.
            George