Re: [ksurf] Beginner's boards - advice?

  • Erik Mermagen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2006
      Find a Slingshot LFT. TONS of upwind confidence. Fairly light. EASY up
      on plane. Not too huge. I had one and LOVED it. I think it was 167cm or
      so. I got mine for $200. Ride fast. Take a lot of chances.
      Erik
      On Jan 31, 2006, at 8:42 AM, pjminor_uk wrote:

      I'd be very grateful for some advice about boards suitable for learning
      on. Despite looking
      all round the web, most of the descriptions of boards seem to be filled
      with marketing
      hype, and I just can't work out what I should be looking for.

      1) I'm 85Kg, very tall (wide stance), with 15 years windsurfing
      experience on wave.
      2) I have some limited kiting experience on an old wipika 15m, with a 6
      foot 8 directional.
      I've also had a few lessons.
      3) I've just purchased a 2nd hand Slingshot Fuel 13m for learning. (It
      may not be the best
      option but I'm constrained on funds.)
      4) I will sail on the UK coast on rocky/stony beaches, so durability is
      important. No real
      waves but plenty of chop.
      5) I just want a board for learning, zoooming around on, learning to go
      upwind and
      progressing. Nothing fancy at this stage.

      So what should I be looking for in a board and the dimensions baffle me
      since beginners
      boards seem to come in a range of sizes?
      If I was to buy new, I would get an Airush Square 3, but not sure what
      boards I should be
      going for if I try to get one second hand. SHould I just go for
      anything with similar
      dimensions thats not too old? I'd prefer to get something good rather
      than a cheap thing
      which a shop just wants to get off its shelves.

      Many thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

      Jonathan M

      to the most frequently asked questions.

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Simone Freire
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
        Hello, Jonathan.
        I'm about your weight, 84 kg, but not tall, however I
        had the same problem as yours, and now have three
        boards... :-)
        Well, now I've been using a Best board (Drive), it is
        131 x 39 cm , and I'm able to go upwind with a 15 kite
        when the wind is blowing at 14 knots at least. I'm
        quite satisfied, but still keep my old 165 cm mutant
        for those light wind days.
        As you have a wide stance, maybe all you need is to
        adjust the distance between the pads, to the largest
        distance possible. In
        fact, I've glued my Best pads to the board. There was
        sand being
        deposited between the pads and the board, and this was
        wearing faster the bottom side of the pads.
        Although short in length, the Drive is wide enough to
        keep me going upwind even in light winds. So, my
        opinion is, what is more important is the board
        breadth, not the length. A good dimension for you, as
        a beginner, may be something between a length of 135
        to 142 cm, and at least a breadth of 40 cm.

        And go for a twin board. I also have a North mutant,
        but I got
        scoliosis from riding toeside to the left all the
        time! :-)

        Andre Soares

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2006
          try bigger board..cabrinha has many also!!!!

          carlos rudge
          Rio de Janeiro, Br

          http://mail.yahoo.com