Trying to get started

  • cyborg_ratus
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006
      Hi im looking to start snow kitting But im a student so my budget is very
      limited i already have a snow board and gear all i need now is to get a kite i found some on ebay But of foil type i would like to you what you guys think about it or if i need a other size i weight 120-130lbs and im 5,7":

      The link to the auction:
      http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-6m-MOUNTAIN-SNOW-BOARD-KITESURF-TRACTION-POWER-KITE_W0QQitemZ7210177484QQcategoryZ114264QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    • Iain Wood
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006
        On 12 Jan 2006, at 23:47, cyborg_ratus wrote:

        > Hi im looking to start snow kitting But im a student so my budget
        > is very
        > limited i already have a snow board and gear all i need now is to
        > get a kite i found some on ebay But of foil type i would like to
        > you what you guys think about it or if i need a other size i weight
        > 120-130lbs and im 5,7":
        >
        > The link to the auction:
        > http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-6m-MOUNTAIN-SNOW-BOARD-KITESURF-TRACTION-
        > POWER-KITE_W0QQitemZ7210177484QQcategoryZ114264QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

        I would be careful here. The price is suspiciously low. A good kite
        that size would normally be at least $400. If you could try it first
        it might be worth considering, but otherwise I wouldn't risk it.

        Iain
      • cyborg_ratus
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006

          > > The link to the auction:
          > > http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-6m-MOUNTAIN-SNOW-BOARD-KITESURF-TRACTION-
          > > POWER-KITE_W0QQitemZ7210177484QQcategoryZ114264QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
          > >

          > I would be careful here. The price is suspiciously low. A good kite
          > that size would normally be at least $400. If you could try it first
          > it might be worth considering, but otherwise I wouldn't risk it.
          >
          > Iain

          Well i wont be able to test it,But the guy seems to have very good
          seller reputation...if you read all description would it still be a
          maybe? liek rope ,kit to attach etc?
        • Iain Wood
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 13, 2006
            On 13 Jan 2006, at 04:59, cyborg_ratus wrote:

            >>> The link to the auction:
            >>> http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-6m-MOUNTAIN-SNOW-BOARD-KITESURF-TRACTION-
            >>> POWER-KITE_W0QQitemZ7210177484QQcategoryZ114264QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
            >>>

            >> I would be careful here. The price is suspiciously low. A good kite
            >> that size would normally be at least $400. If you could try it first
            >> it might be worth considering, but otherwise I wouldn't risk it.
            >>
            >> Iain
            >>

            > Well i wont be able to test it,But the guy seems to have very good
            > seller reputation...if you read all description would it still be a
            > maybe? liek rope ,kit to attach etc?

            I wouldn't touch it myself. Look at the pics at the bottom. The kites
            there seem to be ozone frenzys (a kite with a pretty good reputation
            for snowkiting) They certainly aren't the kite being offered. There's
            a lot of subtlety in kite design and there are some cheap rubbish
            kites out there that just don't cut it. Now this guy may have created
            a great kite and be selling it at an unbelievably low price. Somehow
            I doubt it though.

            If you are on a tight budget it's even more important that you get it
            right first time. Why not look out for a secondhand foil of some
            sort? Something with a good reputation, and preferably something you
            can try out.

            Iain
          • M Silva
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 13, 2006
              To put it simply, you get what you pay for. If the money's tight, it's EVEN
              MORE IMPORTANT to buy the quality shit. Leave it to the people with enough
              money to blow, to try out a cheap unknown kite, because it might be OK, for
              shits and giggles.

              You need to buy a quality kite that will take beginner punishment, and will
              still hold some value beyond that. Buying this kite is throwing your money
              out the window, unless you've flown it, or know someone who has, and swore
              it's a great value.

              Good kites hold their value. Look what people are getting for blade mk 1's
              and original arcs and wipikas, people still looking for them and riding
              them. The choice is clear...

              Besides, flimsy cheap material will turn you off and frustrate you. These
              are things you pay for too, not with money, but infinitely more costly.

              Fuggedaboutit!

              Peace and love,
              Mykl

              --
              Procrastinate Now
            • M Silva
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 13, 2006
                LOL, here's something that should have tipped you off, this guys other ebay
                store items are male adult novelty underwear such as " Funny Exotic Sexy Hot
                Elephant snake Thong Underwear" BWAAAHHHAAAHAAAAHAAAAAAA!!
                <http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8370979609&ssPageName=MER
                C_VI_ReBay_Pr12_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT>

                And it appears they know nothing of kites, to be stupid enough to put a
                picture of a frenzy with the name of their kite on the picture, that's some
                balls, or total ignorance.

                Check ikitesurf.com. Or I can sell you a name brand, as new 3m ozone little
                devil for $250. Flown 5 times, less than 1 hr flying time on it, no crashes.
                Pulls A LOT.

                --
                "One year ago today, the time for excuse-making has come to an end."‹George
                W. Bush Washington, D.C., Jan. 8, 2003