Re: [ksurf] Line Length

  • Hannes Leeb
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2006
      I think the best thing to do is to use a smaller kite instead of a
      big one
      if you are a beginner.

      Changing the line length will not change the power of the kite as long
      as it is kept static relative to the rider. If the kite is `parked'
      relative to the rider,
      longer/shorter lines will result in the kite flying further away
      from / closer to
      the rider while generating the same amount of power in either case.

      However, the situation changes if you move the kite: Longer lines
      will give
      you a stronger power stroke when you dive the kite, because the kite can
      travel a longer distance through the power zone, thus generating pull
      and
      picking up speed.

      When changing lines, check their lengths compared to your old lines. If
      your old front lines are of the same length as your old back lines,
      then the
      same should be true for the new lines; if there is, say, a 5 inches
      difference
      between old front and back, there should be again a 5 inches difference
      between new front and back. Otherwise, your kite will fly very
      differently.

      H.