ATTENTION: BEGINNERS , MALIBU KITESURFING IS NOT FOR YOU

  • jfraven74
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2005
      Dear kiteboarders,

      I had the awful experience of buying a 10 hour lesson pack from an
      incredibly unprofessional and unsafe business. The name Malibu
      kitesurfing. Richard Mena, although some of you may know him, is not
      a certified IKO instructor, and has no regard for informing his
      students of the pitfalls of kite boarding before he sends them out
      on the water. My experience : I was a competitive Snowboarder for 10
      years and tried kite boarding before but i figured it was time to
      complete my training so i could get the whole story.

      Intro: walk up to richard : time 4PM "I TOLD YOU TO BE HERE AT
      4:30."
      i was thinking ok this guy is a bit of a hardass but so what ,
      nobody could be as hard as my old coaches. I am 30, and nobody has
      ever met me and immediately yelled at me ( a complete stranger) for
      being early and HAVING PREPAID FOR A SERVICE. The guy was just
      sitting in his truck like a typical fryhead.

      My sister standing next to me...... Richard: so you wanna learn
      that safety bullsH** or do you just want to get out on the water".

      at this point i was thinking man , I already prepaid this fool, too
      late to back out. That was a huge mistake i should have because this
      fool almost got me killed by not giving me the whole story. So we
      proceeded on a complete ride of disorganized lessons ( 3 hours over
      two sessions, because he cancelled on me twice) . Finally got out
      onto the water in malibu but the wind was dead but enough to fly a
      trainer that i had bought. This fool instead of taking my scheduled
      lesson time to give me tips with the trainer, decides to strip down
      to his speedo and sun himself, snd later he informs that I OWE HIM
      FOR THE TIME HE HAD TO WAIT that e wasn't teaching me. This is
      garbage, i had paid for lessons but this guy wasn't acting
      professional or even attempting to work for the money i had already
      given him. I was so angry but i wanted to learn so i didnt think
      twice because i thought i would get my money's worth later.... what
      a mistake.

      I eventually made it out to the water that afternoon and popped
      right up and already understood how to kite upwind because of my
      tacking experience from sailing. I didnt have a full understanding
      though of kite behavior. This was not a good plan to take me to a
      beach that was 20 feet wide from a fence right in front of HOUSES.
      Malibu is NOT A BEGINNER SPOT. anyways after being out on the water
      alone for 15 minutes, he motioned me to come in. so i did, easily, i
      got to the shallows and slowed the kite down and tried to step off
      the board. tripped and spun for 5 feet. Not a problem but apparently
      it was to him. Mind you no information about the dangers on the
      beach!!.....

      " WHAT THE F$$# are you DOING I NEVER TOLD YOU TO DO THAT!!! but
      good job on the water.... " BUT DONT EVER F*****ING DO THAT AGAIN.

      At this point i had had enough, " I yelled back at him, "ARE WE DONE
      HERE." This surprised him obviously the guy never had somebody talk
      back to him for his poor teaching. He got kind of embarressed and
      said no you can go back out, But continued yelling. I had already
      figured out that getting closer to land is not a good idea, but how
      the he@@ would you know this unless you TEACHER TOLD YOU. I went
      back out one more time and again was up and running but I was so
      pissed i kited back and got out of the water.

      This guy then informs me that i owe him money because there was no
      wind to fly earlier in the day. Remember I was flying my kite just
      not with him thanks to his speedo and old leathery skin. At that
      point i informed him that i still had 7 hours prepaid and he said
      that this does not include that. That was it. He then decided it
      would be good business practice to ignore me, and then go out on the
      water himself.

      That was the last time i saw this idiot. I am sure i will see him
      again and his Van. Is this the kind of experience you want? Because
      i can tell you there are actual shops that teach IKO lesson plans
      that will help you become a kiteboarder in a safe and testable
      manner and not just on the fly like Richard Mena.

      If you have any questions email me at jfraven74@... and i
      will tell you whats up.

      Stay Smart and stay the hell away from Malibu kitesurfing in Los
      Angeles California.
    • M Silva
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2005
        Wow, guy sounds like a dick. Thanks for posting that, though malibu is
        nowhere near me; it's the least you can do for someone who might go to him,
        spend money, and get potentially very hurt.

        mykl

      • ex_cpe
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 9, 2005
          JF: It's funny - not Ha-Ha - but one of the kite instructors you'd want to move next door
          to after taking lessons, also teaches out of Malibu: Traig at Monkey Air.
          (www,monkeyair.com) He's one of the nicest people in the sport and has taught everyone
          from kids to mummys since 1999.

          I'd suggest you try again, but there's already too many of us.

          Jim