Kiteboards checked as baggage

  • Larry_Gorham
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 24, 2005
      I'm flying to the Caribbean this winter from the US and wonder if
      anyone has had any recent problems getting their kiteboards checked as
      baggage. My TT is 157 and in it's bag exceeds their L+W+D < 80 inch
      criterion. I know there may be an excess baggage charge but the
      airlines say nothing beyond 80 inches can be checked unless it's
      a "golf" bag.
    • Tonya Landry
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 25, 2005
        There is a bag designed specifically for kiteboarders, called the
        NSI Deceiver Kite and Board Bag; however, it accommodates boards up
        to 147cm in length: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/offdal/28-
        decever.html You can find it sold at other websites as well.
        My boyfriend and I are travelling to the Bahamas at the end of
        December and he will be leaving his 157 at home. We will be bringing
        his 140 and my 136. Where are you going exactly? Do you know any
        kiteboarders or schools there? Do you have access to a smaller board
        somehow?

        Good luck,
        ~tonya

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Larry_Gorham" <larry_gorham@h...>
        wrote:

        > I'm flying to the Caribbean this winter from the US and wonder if
        > anyone has had any recent problems getting their kiteboards
        checked as
        > baggage. My TT is 157 and in it's bag exceeds their L+W+D < 80
        inch
        > criterion. I know there may be an excess baggage charge but the
        > airlines say nothing beyond 80 inches can be checked unless it's
        > a "golf" bag.

      • MARQ MORRISON
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 25, 2005
          larry

          the deciever bag rocks. i've had mine over a year now
          and i have yet to pay for excess baggage. a couple of
          my friends have borrowed it and they have nothing but
          praise for the beast. it does creeate a little bit of
          a problem getting a cab, at least in LA, as they are
          lazy and do not like big baggage.

          the one time i was questioned i simply told them i was
          carrying professional stunt kites. they had no idea
          what i was talking about and they let it pass with no
          baggae fees. use the skycaps, when available, and tip
          them $5-10 they usually don't dig to deep.

          be sure to check out "Into The Air: A Kiteboarding
          Experience" street date 12/12/05.

          view trailer: www.intotheairmovie.com

          peas
          www.intotheairmovie.com