Hooked vs. Unhooked - Crossbow

  • ekulst
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 12, 2005
      As a newbie, I've heard conflicting things re. launching unhooked; it
      seems that it would certainly be the safer alternative, but with the
      Crossbow it would eliminate the ability to depower. Am I okay/safe
      continuing to launch hooked-in to my Crossbow (as suggested in the user
      manual)? I presume so, but would appreciate any input, contrary
      opinions, etc.

      Thanks!

      Erik
    • hungvu2000@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 12, 2005
        Erik,

        The new flat LEIs are somewhat new and many of us on this list probably
        haven't got one (we do understand it from the theory stand point)

        Personally, I have ordered a Sonic in the first batch to North America
        for demo around here in late October and I will know how it work in the
        real world better by then. I will then in the position to update the
        http://kitesurfingschool.org web site to include the flat LEIs.

        For now, I would suggest that you follow the instructions that come with
        the flat LEI (or ask whoever sold you that kite).

        Hung.

        ekulst wrote:

        >As a newbie, I've heard conflicting things re. launching unhooked; it
        >seems that it would certainly be the safer alternative, but with the
        >Crossbow it would eliminate the ability to depower. Am I okay/safe
        >continuing to launch hooked-in to my Crossbow (as suggested in the user
        >manual)? I presume so, but would appreciate any input, contrary
        >opinions, etc.
        >
        >Thanks!
        >
        >Erik

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • plabrevo
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 12, 2005
          I am a newbie too that has started with a crossbow 12 one month ago. I
          do launch hooked with the stopper ball released and I feel it safe
          because of the potential depower of the kite once you release the bar,
          or once you push the bar away from you.

          However my first launch ever turned to be a disaster. I had started
          with the stopper ball in place and was not familiar enough with the
          bar and the kite, and kiting in general. I knew that releasing the bar
          would in theory depower the kite but I had not experimented it yet
          myself for real.
          I incorrectly launched the kite that went into the powerzone pretty
          fast and started to be dragged around. Since that was my first launch,
          my first thought had not been to release the bar, quite the reverse.
          After 15 meters running after the kite, I pushed the bar away and the
          kite immediately depowered.

          As long as you feel the depower facility of the kite, I don think that
          there is any issue launching being hooked.

          Pascal