Re: Where are we heading?

  • dave@kiteship.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
      A couple of comments on newbies and safety. Statistically, newbies
      aren't the ones most often killed--experienced kite surfers are.
      Safety is an ever-vigilance thing, not simply a skill to be learned
      then ignored.

      Kite buggiers have a concept which might be worth sharing: Safety
      is EVERYONE'S concern. If you see another kiter behaving in an unsafe
      manner, it is YOUR beach and YOUR sport which will suffer in the end.
      With this attitude, one feels much better about walking over and
      saying, "I used to do it that way. It is dangerous. Let me show you a
      safer way." Buggiers have been known to go to extreme lengths in this
      pursuit--even "ganging up" to physically restrain extremely unsafe
      kiters from doing harm.

      Just a thought...

      Dave Culp
    • georgeiw@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
        Good thought Dave,
        It does seem to be newbies and experts that get hurt. Goal 1- get out of the
        newbie category, Goal 2- keep your head out of the expert category.

        This weekend was our first blast of fall wind. Winds above 25 and everything
        working.... but suddenly dangerous. After months of kiting in 8 to 12 it was
        hard to remember the slams that you get at 25 gusting to sustained 35.

        A simple reminder of the most dangerous situations.

        1. kiting with hard objects down wind of you.
        2. kiting with the kite in the zenith position waiting to get lofted.
        3. kiting with a messed up launch. If the kite drifts backwards, with lots
        of wind around, watch out for the explosion though the power zone when it
        gets there. The lines will be slack, you will have no steering ability and you
        will get taken for a dangerous ride.
        If it starts to happen to you ... unhook and pull all the releases, you only
        have about 1.5 seconds. Think about launching unhooked with the chicken
        loop fully depowered. The worst thing that happens is that the kite gets ripped
        out of your hands and straight to the leash.

        I remember it well, all 3 times.
        George

      • Neil Harper
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005
          Dave I think Gang stuff might be a bit extreme but I totally agree with the
          sentiment. We in the UK live in an evermore litigious society and the fear
          of negligence and compensation claims is a huge factor in local government
          decisions, so much so that you can get bans imposed just in case something
          happens. We all know the beauty of kitesurfing is the sense of freedom it
          gives. We all have to be sensible so that ignorance and or stupidity will
          not reduce our freedoms. So if you have the attitude that someone behaving
          dangerously is not your problem, it soon will be! :-)

          A couple of comments on newbies and safety. Statistically, newbies
          aren't the ones most often killed--experienced kite surfers are.
          Safety is an ever-vigilance thing, not simply a skill to be learned
          then ignored.

          Kite buggiers have a concept which might be worth sharing: Safety
          is EVERYONE'S concern. If you see another kiter behaving in an unsafe
          manner, it is YOUR beach and YOUR sport which will suffer in the end.
          With this attitude, one feels much better about walking over and
          saying, "I used to do it that way. It is dangerous. Let me show you a
          safer way." Buggiers have been known to go to extreme lengths in this
          pursuit--even "ganging up" to physically restrain extremely unsafe
          kiters from doing harm.

          Just a thought...

          Dave Culp

          to the most frequently asked questions.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • ex_cpe
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005
            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, hungvu2000@r... wrote:

            > Some place may see growth, some place may not but that is not the
            > subject of this thread.
            >
            > The fact that we have improved the sport (know how, safety, production,
            > etc.) is probably more important.

            ...............in that context: "We have improved the sport"...because we - being the sport -
            have improved.

            If the bulk of the people participating may now have two years+ expirence. The 'know
            how, safety, etc.' automatically improve, likely at a faster rate, than any material
            improvements like 5th lines, Bow shapes, etc. (hense the complaints of limitations of 5th's,
            Bow's, etc) My local crew could pass IKO tests with 2002 kites and 185cm boards.

            Jim