Re: Where are we heading?

  • woodman_k
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
      Stefan
      I think that is a good point too that the non-windsurfer types are
      really at risk in bad weather. Just no feeling as to how BAD it
      really is sometimes. I have been pushing the helmet a lot lately.
      Even though a lot think it's too kooky.
      Stan

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "amorw2002"
      <stefan.bleyenbergh@a...> wrote:

      > I live in Belgium but am kiting mostly in Holland.
      > It is true about the safety standards improving, as wel as the
      third
      > wave you write about, Stan.
      > However, there is a downside. Over here we have seen this third
      wave
      > already. People with no windsurf, sailing nor wave experience
      > entering the sport. People who used to come out only when the
      weather
      > was warm and calm. We can have tricky situations with fast changing
      > conditions due to clouds, windshifting and even thunderstorms.
      > It is pretty much impossible to explian to these people where the
      > danger lies when under a clear sky with a fine wind, even when you
      > point out a situation with high clouds in the neighbourhood.
      > Some of them will be fanatic, most of them only the first month or
      so.
      > resulting in people who start of with one kite, being on the water
      > almost every day or week for the first month or so. Later on this
      > will get to maybe 2 or 5 times a year,due to other
      occupations,whife,

    • dave@kiteship.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
        A couple of comments on newbies and safety. Statistically, newbies
        aren't the ones most often killed--experienced kite surfers are.
        Safety is an ever-vigilance thing, not simply a skill to be learned
        then ignored.

        Kite buggiers have a concept which might be worth sharing: Safety
        is EVERYONE'S concern. If you see another kiter behaving in an unsafe
        manner, it is YOUR beach and YOUR sport which will suffer in the end.
        With this attitude, one feels much better about walking over and
        saying, "I used to do it that way. It is dangerous. Let me show you a
        safer way." Buggiers have been known to go to extreme lengths in this
        pursuit--even "ganging up" to physically restrain extremely unsafe
        kiters from doing harm.

        Just a thought...

        Dave Culp
      • georgeiw@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
          Good thought Dave,
          It does seem to be newbies and experts that get hurt. Goal 1- get out of the
          newbie category, Goal 2- keep your head out of the expert category.

          This weekend was our first blast of fall wind. Winds above 25 and everything
          working.... but suddenly dangerous. After months of kiting in 8 to 12 it was
          hard to remember the slams that you get at 25 gusting to sustained 35.

          A simple reminder of the most dangerous situations.

          1. kiting with hard objects down wind of you.
          2. kiting with the kite in the zenith position waiting to get lofted.
          3. kiting with a messed up launch. If the kite drifts backwards, with lots
          of wind around, watch out for the explosion though the power zone when it
          gets there. The lines will be slack, you will have no steering ability and you
          will get taken for a dangerous ride.
          If it starts to happen to you ... unhook and pull all the releases, you only
          have about 1.5 seconds. Think about launching unhooked with the chicken
          loop fully depowered. The worst thing that happens is that the kite gets ripped
          out of your hands and straight to the leash.

          I remember it well, all 3 times.
          George

        • Neil Harper
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005
            Dave I think Gang stuff might be a bit extreme but I totally agree with the
            sentiment. We in the UK live in an evermore litigious society and the fear
            of negligence and compensation claims is a huge factor in local government
            decisions, so much so that you can get bans imposed just in case something
            happens. We all know the beauty of kitesurfing is the sense of freedom it
            gives. We all have to be sensible so that ignorance and or stupidity will
            not reduce our freedoms. So if you have the attitude that someone behaving
            dangerously is not your problem, it soon will be! :-)

            A couple of comments on newbies and safety. Statistically, newbies
            aren't the ones most often killed--experienced kite surfers are.
            Safety is an ever-vigilance thing, not simply a skill to be learned
            then ignored.

            Kite buggiers have a concept which might be worth sharing: Safety
            is EVERYONE'S concern. If you see another kiter behaving in an unsafe
            manner, it is YOUR beach and YOUR sport which will suffer in the end.
            With this attitude, one feels much better about walking over and
            saying, "I used to do it that way. It is dangerous. Let me show you a
            safer way." Buggiers have been known to go to extreme lengths in this
            pursuit--even "ganging up" to physically restrain extremely unsafe
            kiters from doing harm.

            Just a thought...

            Dave Culp

            to the most frequently asked questions.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • ex_cpe
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005
              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, hungvu2000@r... wrote:

              > Some place may see growth, some place may not but that is not the
              > subject of this thread.
              >
              > The fact that we have improved the sport (know how, safety, production,
              > etc.) is probably more important.

              ...............in that context: "We have improved the sport"...because we - being the sport -
              have improved.

              If the bulk of the people participating may now have two years+ expirence. The 'know
              how, safety, etc.' automatically improve, likely at a faster rate, than any material
              improvements like 5th lines, Bow shapes, etc. (hense the complaints of limitations of 5th's,
              Bow's, etc) My local crew could pass IKO tests with 2002 kites and 185cm boards.

              Jim