Re: [ksurf] Re: Where are we heading?

  • hungvu2000@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
      I have seen the SAME with the 1st and 2nd waves (which include many of
      us on this list, ex-windsurfers, ex-sailors, ex-surfers or otherwise).

      You are doing the right things spreading the knowledge about the safety
      of the sport and there are more info, more instruction online and
      otherwise. So far I beleive we have done not bad. Ofcourse we still
      have to improve and continue doing this to the 3rd, 4th, 5th and etc. waves.

      Hung.

    • hungvu2000@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
        Some place may see growth, some place may not but that is not the
        subject of this thread.

        The fact that we have improved the sport (know how, safety, production,
        etc.) is probably more important.

        I have seen rapid growth in 2002-2003 that may endanger the sport back
        then but now the growth is more moderate however the improvements really
        impressed me in the last year. It may be better that way ... for a
        while...

        Hung.

        ex_cpe wrote:

        >--- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
        >

        >>It seems like we are heading the right directions with many improvements
        >>in the sport in the couple years (near 100% depowerable kite, larger
        >>wind range, more kites selections, better board designs, better board
        >>constructions, lower equipment cost, better technique and instruction
        >>availability online and otherwise, etc).
        >>
        >>Am I correct seeing it that way or just too optimistic?
        >>

        >Hung: .....I'd say you pretty well cap'd the upside. But, I'd answer a question with a
        >question: As an instructor, how many students did you have in 2003 vs. 2005? You'll
        >have to factor out your input (reputaion, promotion, time available variance) to calculate
        >simple business growth coming in over the transom.
        >
        >I've been speculating for a couple of years that something like a Crossbow, in the short
        >term, mostly takes from Naish, Slingy, etc. sales rather than adds to the market. Best may
        >have provided a bump with Wamart kites...but I see almost zero evidence of the entry of
        >new people. ...not that any of my local crew is complaining mind you!
        >
        >And if you look at iktesurf.com classifieds; they have gone from 500's kites for sale to
        >600's...which could show growth...but, perhaps more indicative: the price of used gear has
        >headed to windsurfer territory.
        >
        >I've listed a 2005 Rapture with a lot of the features in your list. It listed new for $850+ (a
        >bargain compared to the CB)....it got zero attention at $500...little (other WWinger's
        >nervous) attention at $400....and little at $375. I've sold perfectly good kites for what we
        >paid for a B3 trainer a few years ago....but, aside from some whiny Arab who squealed like
        >a paid mourner at Arafat's funeral, only to people who had that kind of kite already in his
        >quiver.
        >
        >How's the traffic at kitesurf school? That was the number one online resource for me as a
        >newbie. I wonder how many school bookings there are in Cabarete vs a couple of years
        >ago? How many instructors can stay and make a modest 'kite' living? Kite destinations
        >seem to have come off the radar.
        >
        >I don't frankly care - I can do it - and I love it. Some people who come up to me ask how
        >much it costs, but most first say: "That looks hard!" Maybe I make it look hard...and
        >maybe American are lazy sods (we sure can be fat!)...so maybe as a sport it is growing like
        >weeds in Camaroon or Cambodia - I just don't see it looking out my cave.
        >
        >Contiuned good kiting my brothers - we share what seems like an open secret.
        >
        >jim

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • woodman_k
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
          Stefan
          I think that is a good point too that the non-windsurfer types are
          really at risk in bad weather. Just no feeling as to how BAD it
          really is sometimes. I have been pushing the helmet a lot lately.
          Even though a lot think it's too kooky.
          Stan

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "amorw2002"

        • dave@kiteship.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
            A couple of comments on newbies and safety. Statistically, newbies
            aren't the ones most often killed--experienced kite surfers are.
            Safety is an ever-vigilance thing, not simply a skill to be learned
            then ignored.

            Kite buggiers have a concept which might be worth sharing: Safety
            is EVERYONE'S concern. If you see another kiter behaving in an unsafe
            manner, it is YOUR beach and YOUR sport which will suffer in the end.
            With this attitude, one feels much better about walking over and
            saying, "I used to do it that way. It is dangerous. Let me show you a
            safer way." Buggiers have been known to go to extreme lengths in this
            pursuit--even "ganging up" to physically restrain extremely unsafe
            kiters from doing harm.

            Just a thought...

            Dave Culp
          • georgeiw@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
              Good thought Dave,
              It does seem to be newbies and experts that get hurt. Goal 1- get out of the
              newbie category, Goal 2- keep your head out of the expert category.

              This weekend was our first blast of fall wind. Winds above 25 and everything
              working.... but suddenly dangerous. After months of kiting in 8 to 12 it was
              hard to remember the slams that you get at 25 gusting to sustained 35.

              A simple reminder of the most dangerous situations.

              1. kiting with hard objects down wind of you.
              2. kiting with the kite in the zenith position waiting to get lofted.
              3. kiting with a messed up launch. If the kite drifts backwards, with lots
              of wind around, watch out for the explosion though the power zone when it
              gets there. The lines will be slack, you will have no steering ability and you
              will get taken for a dangerous ride.
              If it starts to happen to you ... unhook and pull all the releases, you only
              have about 1.5 seconds. Think about launching unhooked with the chicken
              loop fully depowered. The worst thing that happens is that the kite gets ripped
              out of your hands and straight to the leash.

              I remember it well, all 3 times.
              George

            • Neil Harper
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005
                Dave I think Gang stuff might be a bit extreme but I totally agree with the
                sentiment. We in the UK live in an evermore litigious society and the fear
                of negligence and compensation claims is a huge factor in local government
                decisions, so much so that you can get bans imposed just in case something
                happens. We all know the beauty of kitesurfing is the sense of freedom it
                gives. We all have to be sensible so that ignorance and or stupidity will
                not reduce our freedoms. So if you have the attitude that someone behaving
                dangerously is not your problem, it soon will be! :-)

                A couple of comments on newbies and safety. Statistically, newbies
                aren't the ones most often killed--experienced kite surfers are.
                Safety is an ever-vigilance thing, not simply a skill to be learned
                then ignored.

                Kite buggiers have a concept which might be worth sharing: Safety
                is EVERYONE'S concern. If you see another kiter behaving in an unsafe
                manner, it is YOUR beach and YOUR sport which will suffer in the end.
                With this attitude, one feels much better about walking over and
                saying, "I used to do it that way. It is dangerous. Let me show you a
                safer way." Buggiers have been known to go to extreme lengths in this
                pursuit--even "ganging up" to physically restrain extremely unsafe
                kiters from doing harm.

                Just a thought...

                Dave Culp

                to the most frequently asked questions.

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • ex_cpe
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005
                  --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, hungvu2000@r... wrote:

                  > Some place may see growth, some place may not but that is not the
                  > subject of this thread.
                  >
                  > The fact that we have improved the sport (know how, safety, production,
                  > etc.) is probably more important.

                  ...............in that context: "We have improved the sport"...because we - being the sport -
                  have improved.

                  If the bulk of the people participating may now have two years+ expirence. The 'know
                  how, safety, etc.' automatically improve, likely at a faster rate, than any material
                  improvements like 5th lines, Bow shapes, etc. (hense the complaints of limitations of 5th's,
                  Bow's, etc) My local crew could pass IKO tests with 2002 kites and 185cm boards.

                  Jim