Re: Where are we heading?

  • amorw2002
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 10, 2005
      I live in Belgium but am kiting mostly in Holland.
      It is true about the safety standards improving, as wel as the third
      wave you write about, Stan.
      However, there is a downside. Over here we have seen this third wave
      already. People with no windsurf, sailing nor wave experience
      entering the sport. People who used to come out only when the weather
      was warm and calm. We can have tricky situations with fast changing
      conditions due to clouds, windshifting and even thunderstorms.
      It is pretty much impossible to explian to these people where the
      danger lies when under a clear sky with a fine wind, even when you
      point out a situation with high clouds in the neighbourhood.
      Some of them will be fanatic, most of them only the first month or so.
      resulting in people who start of with one kite, being on the water
      almost every day or week for the first month or so. Later on this
      will get to maybe 2 or 5 times a year,due to other occupations,whife,
      sports,house renevation etc.. . When they are able too go out they
      will go, even in infavourable, instable conditions. Now there finaly
      back on the beach they have to make the most of this day, so they
      will launch ther 16 or 14 m2, even when experienced riders fly half
      of that and are having a though job.
      Whe have seen some near- and real accidents over here, the last
      couple of months, almost always with this third wave.
      I like newbees entering the sport, but we all have a responsability
      to them, others and to ourselves. Whe all need to keep them informed
      about conditions, even when it appears that whe are menacing.

      Cheers,

      Stefan.

    • hungvu2000@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
        I have seen the SAME with the 1st and 2nd waves (which include many of
        us on this list, ex-windsurfers, ex-sailors, ex-surfers or otherwise).

        You are doing the right things spreading the knowledge about the safety
        of the sport and there are more info, more instruction online and
        otherwise. So far I beleive we have done not bad. Ofcourse we still
        have to improve and continue doing this to the 3rd, 4th, 5th and etc. waves.

        Hung.

      • hungvu2000@rogers.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
          Some place may see growth, some place may not but that is not the
          subject of this thread.

          The fact that we have improved the sport (know how, safety, production,
          etc.) is probably more important.

          I have seen rapid growth in 2002-2003 that may endanger the sport back
          then but now the growth is more moderate however the improvements really
          impressed me in the last year. It may be better that way ... for a
          while...

          Hung.

          ex_cpe wrote:

          >--- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
          >

          >>It seems like we are heading the right directions with many improvements
          >>in the sport in the couple years (near 100% depowerable kite, larger
          >>wind range, more kites selections, better board designs, better board
          >>constructions, lower equipment cost, better technique and instruction
          >>availability online and otherwise, etc).
          >>
          >>Am I correct seeing it that way or just too optimistic?
          >>

          >Hung: .....I'd say you pretty well cap'd the upside. But, I'd answer a question with a
          >question: As an instructor, how many students did you have in 2003 vs. 2005? You'll
          >have to factor out your input (reputaion, promotion, time available variance) to calculate
          >simple business growth coming in over the transom.
          >
          >I've been speculating for a couple of years that something like a Crossbow, in the short
          >term, mostly takes from Naish, Slingy, etc. sales rather than adds to the market. Best may
          >have provided a bump with Wamart kites...but I see almost zero evidence of the entry of
          >new people. ...not that any of my local crew is complaining mind you!
          >
          >And if you look at iktesurf.com classifieds; they have gone from 500's kites for sale to
          >600's...which could show growth...but, perhaps more indicative: the price of used gear has
          >headed to windsurfer territory.
          >
          >I've listed a 2005 Rapture with a lot of the features in your list. It listed new for $850+ (a
          >bargain compared to the CB)....it got zero attention at $500...little (other WWinger's
          >nervous) attention at $400....and little at $375. I've sold perfectly good kites for what we
          >paid for a B3 trainer a few years ago....but, aside from some whiny Arab who squealed like
          >a paid mourner at Arafat's funeral, only to people who had that kind of kite already in his
          >quiver.
          >
          >How's the traffic at kitesurf school? That was the number one online resource for me as a
          >newbie. I wonder how many school bookings there are in Cabarete vs a couple of years
          >ago? How many instructors can stay and make a modest 'kite' living? Kite destinations
          >seem to have come off the radar.
          >
          >I don't frankly care - I can do it - and I love it. Some people who come up to me ask how
          >much it costs, but most first say: "That looks hard!" Maybe I make it look hard...and
          >maybe American are lazy sods (we sure can be fat!)...so maybe as a sport it is growing like
          >weeds in Camaroon or Cambodia - I just don't see it looking out my cave.
          >
          >Contiuned good kiting my brothers - we share what seems like an open secret.
          >
          >jim

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • woodman_k
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
            Stefan
            I think that is a good point too that the non-windsurfer types are
            really at risk in bad weather. Just no feeling as to how BAD it
            really is sometimes. I have been pushing the helmet a lot lately.
            Even though a lot think it's too kooky.
            Stan

            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "amorw2002"

          • dave@kiteship.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
              A couple of comments on newbies and safety. Statistically, newbies
              aren't the ones most often killed--experienced kite surfers are.
              Safety is an ever-vigilance thing, not simply a skill to be learned
              then ignored.

              Kite buggiers have a concept which might be worth sharing: Safety
              is EVERYONE'S concern. If you see another kiter behaving in an unsafe
              manner, it is YOUR beach and YOUR sport which will suffer in the end.
              With this attitude, one feels much better about walking over and
              saying, "I used to do it that way. It is dangerous. Let me show you a
              safer way." Buggiers have been known to go to extreme lengths in this
              pursuit--even "ganging up" to physically restrain extremely unsafe
              kiters from doing harm.

              Just a thought...

              Dave Culp
            • georgeiw@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 11, 2005
                Good thought Dave,
                It does seem to be newbies and experts that get hurt. Goal 1- get out of the
                newbie category, Goal 2- keep your head out of the expert category.

                This weekend was our first blast of fall wind. Winds above 25 and everything
                working.... but suddenly dangerous. After months of kiting in 8 to 12 it was
                hard to remember the slams that you get at 25 gusting to sustained 35.

                A simple reminder of the most dangerous situations.

                1. kiting with hard objects down wind of you.
                2. kiting with the kite in the zenith position waiting to get lofted.
                3. kiting with a messed up launch. If the kite drifts backwards, with lots
                of wind around, watch out for the explosion though the power zone when it
                gets there. The lines will be slack, you will have no steering ability and you
                will get taken for a dangerous ride.
                If it starts to happen to you ... unhook and pull all the releases, you only
                have about 1.5 seconds. Think about launching unhooked with the chicken
                loop fully depowered. The worst thing that happens is that the kite gets ripped
                out of your hands and straight to the leash.

                I remember it well, all 3 times.
                George

              • Neil Harper
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005
                  Dave I think Gang stuff might be a bit extreme but I totally agree with the
                  sentiment. We in the UK live in an evermore litigious society and the fear
                  of negligence and compensation claims is a huge factor in local government
                  decisions, so much so that you can get bans imposed just in case something
                  happens. We all know the beauty of kitesurfing is the sense of freedom it
                  gives. We all have to be sensible so that ignorance and or stupidity will
                  not reduce our freedoms. So if you have the attitude that someone behaving
                  dangerously is not your problem, it soon will be! :-)

                  A couple of comments on newbies and safety. Statistically, newbies
                  aren't the ones most often killed--experienced kite surfers are.
                  Safety is an ever-vigilance thing, not simply a skill to be learned
                  then ignored.

                  Kite buggiers have a concept which might be worth sharing: Safety
                  is EVERYONE'S concern. If you see another kiter behaving in an unsafe
                  manner, it is YOUR beach and YOUR sport which will suffer in the end.
                  With this attitude, one feels much better about walking over and
                  saying, "I used to do it that way. It is dangerous. Let me show you a
                  safer way." Buggiers have been known to go to extreme lengths in this
                  pursuit--even "ganging up" to physically restrain extremely unsafe
                  kiters from doing harm.

                  Just a thought...

                  Dave Culp

                  to the most frequently asked questions.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • ex_cpe
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005
                    --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, hungvu2000@r... wrote:

                    > Some place may see growth, some place may not but that is not the
                    > subject of this thread.
                    >
                    > The fact that we have improved the sport (know how, safety, production,
                    > etc.) is probably more important.

                    ...............in that context: "We have improved the sport"...because we - being the sport -
                    have improved.

                    If the bulk of the people participating may now have two years+ expirence. The 'know
                    how, safety, etc.' automatically improve, likely at a faster rate, than any material
                    improvements like 5th lines, Bow shapes, etc. (hense the complaints of limitations of 5th's,
                    Bow's, etc) My local crew could pass IKO tests with 2002 kites and 185cm boards.

                    Jim