Re: [ksurf] Re: Kite seasons

  • loco4olas
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 17, 2005
      Hung,

      Sydney Australia.

      We have two basic seasons-winter and summer.

      Winter from May to August is predominantly frontal winds from the S-SE-most of the kiting is in the ocean off beaches and reefs (at least that's where me and the local crew kite). Winds generally are 15-25 knots and we kite about 1-2 times a week on average. (Although there are spells where there'll be no sufficient winds for a few weeks at a time).

      Summer from about October to April is a mix of S frontal winds and per-frontal NE seabreezes. Again, most kiting is off beaches and reefs. Winds average 12-18 with some stronger days. Average about 1-4 days a week. Particularly from October to Jan.

      From August to October we get a lot of W winds (offshore). Most kiting is in bays, harbours and lakes. Winds average 15-30 when it's really blowy. Average about 1-2 days a week. Often gusty and cold and strong.

      Loco

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 17, 2005
        Is Cayo Coco on the south side of Cuba? I was on the north side at
        Varadero during Dec-Jan and it was great! It was not cold, T-shirt weather.

        Hung.

      • elisaro@free.fr
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 17, 2005
          Cayo coco is on the North side of Cuba, 40 minutes from Varadero.
          Is there some school here ?
          what about the wind ?
          liz

        • Hung Vu