Re: [ksurf] Re: Kite seasons

  • Hung Vu
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 16, 2005
      Thanks for the info. I have never been to Costa Rica. I may give it a
      try in the next few years.

      Any other places and kite seasons ?

      Hung.

    • elisaro@free.fr
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 17, 2005
        Hello,

        i planned to go to Cuba (Cayo Coco) in the beginning of February 06. Is somebody
        goes there ? how is the wind and "El norte" is it cold ?

        thank you
        Liz

      • loco4olas
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 17, 2005
          Hung,

          Sydney Australia.

          We have two basic seasons-winter and summer.

          Winter from May to August is predominantly frontal winds from the S-SE-most of the kiting is in the ocean off beaches and reefs (at least that's where me and the local crew kite). Winds generally are 15-25 knots and we kite about 1-2 times a week on average. (Although there are spells where there'll be no sufficient winds for a few weeks at a time).

          Summer from about October to April is a mix of S frontal winds and per-frontal NE seabreezes. Again, most kiting is off beaches and reefs. Winds average 12-18 with some stronger days. Average about 1-4 days a week. Particularly from October to Jan.

          From August to October we get a lot of W winds (offshore). Most kiting is in bays, harbours and lakes. Winds average 15-30 when it's really blowy. Average about 1-2 days a week. Often gusty and cold and strong.

          Loco

          > Thanks for the info. I have never been to Costa Rica. I may give it a
          > try in the next few years.
          >
          > Any other places and kite seasons ?
          >
          > Hung.
          >
          > roylium wrote:
          >
          >>In Costa Rica there are two great kitesurfing spots, Lake Arenal and
          >>Bahia Salinas. Both of them have world-class kitesurfing winds
          >>starting late november thru april. In Bahia Salinas (Playa Copal)
          >>January, February and March are the windiest months with averages over
          >>20 knots; all the other months have averages between 15-20 knots.
          >>They say its got about 87% kiteable days per season! Lake Arenal
          >>windiest months are December, January, February and March.
          >>You can find more info on these webpages:
          >>Lake Arenal: Tico Wind
          >>www.ticowind.com
          >>Bahia Salinas: Kite Centre 2000 (with wind data graphs, etc)
          >>http://www.suntoursandfun.com/kitesurfing.htm
          >>

          >>--- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, kitesurfvenezuela <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          >>

          >>>in venezuela nov through july sometimes starts early ends late best
          >>>spots coche los roques adicora, thanks Alex http://kitesurf.wtfe.com

          >>>seasons

          >>>how

          >>>kiting)

          >>>or 3

          >>>kitesurfing/kiteboarding,

          >>>or

          >>If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit
          >>http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for the answers
          >>to the most frequently asked questions.

          >>Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Hung Vu
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 17, 2005
            Is Cayo Coco on the south side of Cuba? I was on the north side at
            Varadero during Dec-Jan and it was great! It was not cold, T-shirt weather.

            Hung.

          • elisaro@free.fr
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 17, 2005
              Cayo coco is on the North side of Cuba, 40 minutes from Varadero.
              Is there some school here ?
              what about the wind ?
              liz

            • Hung Vu