Re: Kite seasons

  • roylium
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 16, 2005
      In Costa Rica there are two great kitesurfing spots, Lake Arenal and
      Bahia Salinas. Both of them have world-class kitesurfing winds
      starting late november thru april. In Bahia Salinas (Playa Copal)
      January, February and March are the windiest months with averages over
      20 knots; all the other months have averages between 15-20 knots.
      They say its got about 87% kiteable days per season! Lake Arenal
      windiest months are December, January, February and March.
      You can find more info on these webpages:
      Lake Arenal: Tico Wind
      www.ticowind.com
      Bahia Salinas: Kite Centre 2000 (with wind data graphs, etc)
      http://www.suntoursandfun.com/kitesurfing.htm

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, kitesurfvenezuela <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > in venezuela nov through july sometimes starts early ends late best
      > spots coche los roques adicora, thanks Alex http://kitesurf.wtfe.com
      >
      > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "gonzavala" <gonzavala@y...> wrote:
      > > In Peru:
      > >
      > > All seasons, January 1st to December 31st -- kitesurfing
      > >
      > > gonzalo
      > >
      > > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
      > > > Many people have asked me how often and how long the kite
      > seasons
      > > are
      > > > (some of them doesn't even know that kiting is a 4 season sport).
      > > >
      > > > So I plan to add a table showing the various kite seasons and
      > how
      > > often
      > > > one can do it (how many days in a week with enough wind for
      > kiting)
      > > in
      > > > kitesurfingschool.org in the next update.
      > > >
      > > > Here is the info for Ottawa, Canada:
      > > >
      > > > Spring: April 1 to April 30 (1 month), kitelandboarding, 2
      > or 3
      > > days
      > > > a week
      > > > Summer: May 1 to Oct 31st (6 months),
      > kitesurfing/kiteboarding,
      > > 2 or
      > > > 3 days a week
      > > > Fall: Nov 1st to Dec 15th (1.5 months), kitelandboarding, 2
      > or
      > > 3
      > > > days a week
      > > > Winter: Dec 15 to March 31st (3.5 months), kitesnowboarding,
      > > > kiteskiing, 3 or 4 days a week.
      > > >
      > > > Please add the kite seasons for your locations.
      > > >
      > > > Hung.
    • Hung Vu
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 16, 2005
        Thanks for the info. I have never been to Costa Rica. I may give it a
        try in the next few years.

        Any other places and kite seasons ?

        Hung.

      • elisaro@free.fr
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 17, 2005
          Hello,

          i planned to go to Cuba (Cayo Coco) in the beginning of February 06. Is somebody
          goes there ? how is the wind and "El norte" is it cold ?

          thank you
          Liz

        • loco4olas
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 17, 2005
            Hung,

            Sydney Australia.

            We have two basic seasons-winter and summer.

            Winter from May to August is predominantly frontal winds from the S-SE-most of the kiting is in the ocean off beaches and reefs (at least that's where me and the local crew kite). Winds generally are 15-25 knots and we kite about 1-2 times a week on average. (Although there are spells where there'll be no sufficient winds for a few weeks at a time).

            Summer from about October to April is a mix of S frontal winds and per-frontal NE seabreezes. Again, most kiting is off beaches and reefs. Winds average 12-18 with some stronger days. Average about 1-4 days a week. Particularly from October to Jan.

            From August to October we get a lot of W winds (offshore). Most kiting is in bays, harbours and lakes. Winds average 15-30 when it's really blowy. Average about 1-2 days a week. Often gusty and cold and strong.

            Loco

            > Thanks for the info. I have never been to Costa Rica. I may give it a
            > try in the next few years.
            >
            > Any other places and kite seasons ?
            >
            > Hung.
            >
            > roylium wrote:
            >
            >>In Costa Rica there are two great kitesurfing spots, Lake Arenal and
            >>Bahia Salinas. Both of them have world-class kitesurfing winds
            >>starting late november thru april. In Bahia Salinas (Playa Copal)
            >>January, February and March are the windiest months with averages over
            >>20 knots; all the other months have averages between 15-20 knots.
            >>They say its got about 87% kiteable days per season! Lake Arenal
            >>windiest months are December, January, February and March.
            >>You can find more info on these webpages:
            >>Lake Arenal: Tico Wind
            >>www.ticowind.com
            >>Bahia Salinas: Kite Centre 2000 (with wind data graphs, etc)
            >>http://www.suntoursandfun.com/kitesurfing.htm
            >>

            >>--- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, kitesurfvenezuela <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            >>

            >>>in venezuela nov through july sometimes starts early ends late best
            >>>spots coche los roques adicora, thanks Alex http://kitesurf.wtfe.com

            >>>seasons

            >>>how

            >>>kiting)

            >>>or 3

            >>>kitesurfing/kiteboarding,

            >>>or

            >>If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit
            >>http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for the answers
            >>to the most frequently asked questions.

            >>Yahoo! Groups Links

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Hung Vu
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 17, 2005
              Is Cayo Coco on the south side of Cuba? I was on the north side at
              Varadero during Dec-Jan and it was great! It was not cold, T-shirt weather.

              Hung.

            • elisaro@free.fr
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 17, 2005
                Cayo coco is on the North side of Cuba, 40 minutes from Varadero.
                Is there some school here ?
                what about the wind ?
                liz

              • Hung Vu