Re: Kite seasons

  • kitesurfvenezuela
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "gonzavala" <gonzavala@y...> wrote:
      > In Peru:
      >
      > All seasons, January 1st to December 31st -- kitesurfing
      >
      > gonzalo
      >
      > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
      > > Many people have asked me how often and how long the kite
      seasons
      > are
      > > (some of them doesn't even know that kiting is a 4 season sport).
      > >
      > > So I plan to add a table showing the various kite seasons and
      how
      > often
      > > one can do it (how many days in a week with enough wind for
      kiting)
      > in
      > > kitesurfingschool.org in the next update.
      > >
      > > Here is the info for Ottawa, Canada:
      > >
      > > Spring: April 1 to April 30 (1 month), kitelandboarding, 2
      or 3
      > days
      > > a week
      > > Summer: May 1 to Oct 31st (6 months),
      kitesurfing/kiteboarding,
      > 2 or
      > > 3 days a week
      > > Fall: Nov 1st to Dec 15th (1.5 months), kitelandboarding, 2
      or
      > 3
      > > days a week
      > > Winter: Dec 15 to March 31st (3.5 months), kitesnowboarding,
      > > kiteskiing, 3 or 4 days a week.
      > >
      > > Please add the kite seasons for your locations.
      > >
      > > Hung.
    • kitesurfvenezuela
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
        in venezuela nov through july sometimes starts early ends late best
        spots coche los roques adicora, thanks Alex http://kitesurf.wtfe.com

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "gonzavala" <gonzavala@y...> wrote:
        > In Peru:
        >
        > All seasons, January 1st to December 31st -- kitesurfing
        >
        > gonzalo
        >
        > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
        > > Many people have asked me how often and how long the kite
        seasons
        > are
        > > (some of them doesn't even know that kiting is a 4 season sport).
        > >
        > > So I plan to add a table showing the various kite seasons and
        how
        > often
        > > one can do it (how many days in a week with enough wind for
        kiting)
        > in
        > > kitesurfingschool.org in the next update.
        > >
        > > Here is the info for Ottawa, Canada:
        > >
        > > Spring: April 1 to April 30 (1 month), kitelandboarding, 2
        or 3
        > days
        > > a week
        > > Summer: May 1 to Oct 31st (6 months),
        kitesurfing/kiteboarding,
        > 2 or
        > > 3 days a week
        > > Fall: Nov 1st to Dec 15th (1.5 months), kitelandboarding, 2
        or
        > 3
        > > days a week
        > > Winter: Dec 15 to March 31st (3.5 months), kitesnowboarding,
        > > kiteskiing, 3 or 4 days a week.
        > >
        > > Please add the kite seasons for your locations.
        > >
        > > Hung.
      • roylium
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 16, 2005
          In Costa Rica there are two great kitesurfing spots, Lake Arenal and
          Bahia Salinas. Both of them have world-class kitesurfing winds
          starting late november thru april. In Bahia Salinas (Playa Copal)
          January, February and March are the windiest months with averages over
          20 knots; all the other months have averages between 15-20 knots.
          They say its got about 87% kiteable days per season! Lake Arenal
          windiest months are December, January, February and March.
          You can find more info on these webpages:
          Lake Arenal: Tico Wind
          www.ticowind.com
          Bahia Salinas: Kite Centre 2000 (with wind data graphs, etc)
          http://www.suntoursandfun.com/kitesurfing.htm

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, kitesurfvenezuela <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > in venezuela nov through july sometimes starts early ends late best
          > spots coche los roques adicora, thanks Alex http://kitesurf.wtfe.com
          >
          > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "gonzavala" <gonzavala@y...> wrote:
          > > In Peru:
          > >
          > > All seasons, January 1st to December 31st -- kitesurfing
          > >
          > > gonzalo
          > >
          > > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
          > > > Many people have asked me how often and how long the kite
          > seasons
          > > are
          > > > (some of them doesn't even know that kiting is a 4 season sport).
          > > >
          > > > So I plan to add a table showing the various kite seasons and
          > how
          > > often
          > > > one can do it (how many days in a week with enough wind for
          > kiting)
          > > in
          > > > kitesurfingschool.org in the next update.
          > > >
          > > > Here is the info for Ottawa, Canada:
          > > >
          > > > Spring: April 1 to April 30 (1 month), kitelandboarding, 2
          > or 3
          > > days
          > > > a week
          > > > Summer: May 1 to Oct 31st (6 months),
          > kitesurfing/kiteboarding,
          > > 2 or
          > > > 3 days a week
          > > > Fall: Nov 1st to Dec 15th (1.5 months), kitelandboarding, 2
          > or
          > > 3
          > > > days a week
          > > > Winter: Dec 15 to March 31st (3.5 months), kitesnowboarding,
          > > > kiteskiing, 3 or 4 days a week.
          > > >
          > > > Please add the kite seasons for your locations.
          > > >
          > > > Hung.
        • Hung Vu
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 16, 2005
            Thanks for the info. I have never been to Costa Rica. I may give it a
            try in the next few years.

            Any other places and kite seasons ?

            Hung.

          • elisaro@free.fr
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 17, 2005
              Hello,

              i planned to go to Cuba (Cayo Coco) in the beginning of February 06. Is somebody
              goes there ? how is the wind and "El norte" is it cold ?

              thank you
              Liz

            • loco4olas
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 17, 2005
                Hung,

                Sydney Australia.

                We have two basic seasons-winter and summer.

                Winter from May to August is predominantly frontal winds from the S-SE-most of the kiting is in the ocean off beaches and reefs (at least that's where me and the local crew kite). Winds generally are 15-25 knots and we kite about 1-2 times a week on average. (Although there are spells where there'll be no sufficient winds for a few weeks at a time).

                Summer from about October to April is a mix of S frontal winds and per-frontal NE seabreezes. Again, most kiting is off beaches and reefs. Winds average 12-18 with some stronger days. Average about 1-4 days a week. Particularly from October to Jan.

                From August to October we get a lot of W winds (offshore). Most kiting is in bays, harbours and lakes. Winds average 15-30 when it's really blowy. Average about 1-2 days a week. Often gusty and cold and strong.

                Loco

                > Thanks for the info. I have never been to Costa Rica. I may give it a
                > try in the next few years.
                >
                > Any other places and kite seasons ?
                >
                > Hung.
                >
                > roylium wrote:
                >
                >>In Costa Rica there are two great kitesurfing spots, Lake Arenal and
                >>Bahia Salinas. Both of them have world-class kitesurfing winds
                >>starting late november thru april. In Bahia Salinas (Playa Copal)
                >>January, February and March are the windiest months with averages over
                >>20 knots; all the other months have averages between 15-20 knots.
                >>They say its got about 87% kiteable days per season! Lake Arenal
                >>windiest months are December, January, February and March.
                >>You can find more info on these webpages:
                >>Lake Arenal: Tico Wind
                >>www.ticowind.com
                >>Bahia Salinas: Kite Centre 2000 (with wind data graphs, etc)
                >>http://www.suntoursandfun.com/kitesurfing.htm
                >>

                >>--- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, kitesurfvenezuela <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                >>

                >>>in venezuela nov through july sometimes starts early ends late best
                >>>spots coche los roques adicora, thanks Alex http://kitesurf.wtfe.com

                >>>seasons

                >>>how

                >>>kiting)

                >>>or 3

                >>>kitesurfing/kiteboarding,

                >>>or

                >>If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit
                >>http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for the answers
                >>to the most frequently asked questions.

                >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Hung Vu
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 17, 2005
                  Is Cayo Coco on the south side of Cuba? I was on the north side at
                  Varadero during Dec-Jan and it was great! It was not cold, T-shirt weather.

                  Hung.

                • elisaro@free.fr
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 17, 2005
                    Cayo coco is on the North side of Cuba, 40 minutes from Varadero.
                    Is there some school here ?
                    what about the wind ?
                    liz

                  • Hung Vu