heard it before??

  • Barnes, Tim (UK)
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2005
      I am new to kitesurfing and i have been trying to teach myself.

      I am having a few problems getting up and going. I seem to be able to get up and out of the water but i just sink back down .... Is this me flying the kite too far out of the wind before i'm going with enough speed to keep up with the kite??
      How 'powered' should i be exactly?? I ride an airush misfit 120 (quite wide) and a 14m airush flow. Sould it nearly be lifting me off when powered at the top or what??

      Thanks for any help guys.

    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2005
        Tim,

        Sounds like you don't have enough power.

        To stay on the board in this case, you need to agressively move the
        kite. Try to get on the board half way through the power stroke and
        try to turn the kite up as soon as you are on the board then dive it
        down again.

        Imagine having a big clock (oval) in front of you and the kite should
        do: 1, 8, 11, 8, 11, 8 ... if you are going toward the left.

        Hung.

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Barnes, Tim (UK)" <tim.barnes@b...>
        wrote:

        > I am new to kitesurfing and i have been trying to teach myself.
        >
        > I am having a few problems getting up and going. I seem to be
        able to get up and out of the water but i just sink back down .... Is
        this me flying the kite too far out of the wind before i'm going with
        enough speed to keep up with the kite??
        > How 'powered' should i be exactly?? I ride an airush misfit 120
        (quite wide) and a 14m airush flow. Sould it nearly be lifting me off
        when powered at the top or what??

        > Thanks for any help guys.

      • oldair42
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6, 2005
          Hey Tim,
          I spent a year teaching myself, its not easy, and at times was very
          frustrating, however when I had the same problem that you describe it
          was usually one of three things (or a combination thereof)
          1. not flying a large enough kite for the wind.
          2. needing more than one powerstroke.
          3. keeping your board pointed downwind a little longer ( build up
          some speed before you turn your board upwind)
          just stay with it and it will come, your body is having to do a lot
          of things at once and it takes some time to train it.

          Jon