Re: [ksurf] Re: Cannot stand on the board! Almost dissapointed

  • zc
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
      OK,

      I am 82Kgr and have a Surfactory 157cm board, I have removed 2 of the 4 fins. I have a Naish seat harness.

      I will not quit, believe me

      Thank you really for your help

      Christos

      ex_cpe <wetstuff@...> wrote:
      > I have a 12m Naish V4 and a 160cm board (2-fins only).

      .......you should have mentioned your weight along with: wind speed - kite size - and butt
      lard... all are calculated. Also, a 2-finned board sounds a little unusual - give us a better
      idea of what it looks like, brand, etc.. The kite is top shelf, so that's not at issue.

      I have spent
      > hours and hours in the water in order to learn how to waterstart and
      > get on the board. With winds varying from 13-17knots i have tried
      > many times the powedive but always something happens and i cannot
      > stand on the board and i fall foreward and backward.
      >
      > I have tried the waterstard hooked and unhooked.

      ........stay hooked in. Seat or waist harness?

      > Most of the time i am using the "slow turning" setting of the kite in
      > order not to fall on the water. I am using this setting also because
      > twise i lost control of my kite and it started looping in the air and
      > dragged me violently a lot of meters downwind.

      .......keep your hands away from the extreme ends of the bar 'till you can anticipate the
      kite's next move. Hands closer in will help limit the wide power swings. ALWAYS release
      to leash if you feel out of control at all. Besides, you need the relaunch practice.

      > I understand that it takes time to learn how to kitesurf but how
      > difficult is to learn. I am almost dissapointed.

      ......It's hard as sh_t - 'till the day you get it.

      I'll echo one of the earlier postings: lie back in the water with your forward foot higher
      than trailing (to keep the nose of the board out of the water) ...keeping kite at zenith 'till
      you're settled.. swing the kite back a bit to about 1 o'clock (or 11 depending which tack
      you are on) ...then dive the sucker. The minute you can see it's headed down - PULL it
      back UP. ( don't linger at the pretty site of a kite at speed).

      You just got a shot in the ass which gave you a big yank. IF the front of the board was out
      of the water... IF the nose of the board was 45 degrees (half the angle of where you'd
      think you'd like to head off to and the position of the kite) then you are now out of the
      water and have already started the kite back down - you did remember the kite, eh? (only
      swing the kite past 12 for that first time to get your ass out of the water)

      As the kite is giving you another power spike, headed down - you lean back to counter the
      kite which almost naturally points the board upwind. You then either have enouh power to
      park the kite at 10 or 11 which is a great assist in keeing your board balance - or you
      gotta sine the hell out of the kite whilst keeping the board under your center by falling
      back and coming over it during the ebb and spikes of power.

      If you are sining the kite and having to balance like walking on a railroad track - then
      you're headed downwind, but you can still finesse and stay up like a ballet dancer. If that's
      the case: keep the kite high to help hold you up. If you have enough power: you can drag
      your upwind hand in the water without falling backwards.

      I'm not a fan of the 'point the board toward the kite'. As soon as you're up with any juice -
      you're on a direct slide forward; shortly to loose your balance ...and you'll also depower
      the kite by heading toward it. Save that move for those 'Oh S__t!' times.

      By the way: I don't mind if you quit. There's too many people taking this up with the
      attendant pressure on launch sites and liability to civilians. If you continue: stay well away
      from civilians and read all the posts you can written by Rick Iossi.

      ...and stay the hell aways from my launch.

      Good luck

      jim

      (apology for any spellign or grammer errors - it's too long to proof)

      to the most frequently asked questions.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • ex_cpe
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, zc <zchris_gr@y...> wrote:
        > OK,
        >
        > I am 82Kgr and have a Surfactory 157cm board, I have removed 2 of the 4 fins. I have a
        Naish seat harness.

        Chris: Your kite is probably too small. I'm 85kg and my kite for those winds is a 16M. I
        prefer to work the lower half of a kite's range because I have grapes instead of coconuts in
        my shorts but I also don't like to work my ass off to have fun.

        I'd personally not mess with cable parks and wakeboats. Not only are you a beginner in
        this sport - you'd be a beginner in another at the exact same time. The few guys I've met
        who were accomplished wakeboarders did certainly have an advantge over us bipeds.
        ...but you can probably add qualified snowboarders, skaters and stunt-kite flyers to the
        list.

        I suspect a waist harness may be easier to learn on because the bar is mostly above your
        shoulders and the UP pull above your body's C/L is very helpful at this point. The board is
        fine too, but put those fins back on. 'Can't imagine why you took them off?

        Safety first - fun second. Always wear a rubber.

        jim