Re: [ksurf] Wakeboarding lesson before a successful kitesurfing waterstart!

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3 8:52 AM
      Howdy

      Try and find a cable-water-ski, dont know where in the world you are,
      but there are 3 in the UK, loads in germany and a few in spain. The
      pull is more like a kite coming from above and not horizontal to the
      water (Dont get hooked though, kiting is loads better dood lol)...

      Mark

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Harper" <neil.harper@h...>
      wrote:
      > Don't worry about the power as you will find the pull less
      strenuous with a
      > kite one because you get some vertical from the kite and two
      because you
      > have less pull on your arms (assuming you are hooked in to your
      harness) :-)
      > Definitely a good idea to use your kiteboard instead of a normal
      wakeboard
      > given your goals. I can't remember the size of the board you are
      using but
      > it is generally acknowledged that a 150cm long and fairly wide
      board (40cms
      > or so) and smaller kite is a better combination to start off with
      given your
      > weight I would think you would need at least 12kts of wind if not
      more to
      > get planing upwind with a board of the size just mentioned.

      and

    • georgeiw@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3 4:40 PM
        Hi Chris,

        I took forever to be able to stay up and I recently went wakeboarding.

        The part of wakeboarding that is most like kiteboarding in terms of stance
        and all that is when you are outside the wake and way on the side going at an
        angle and forward with the boat.
        Use your kiteboarding board, it will work, though it might be a little
        wobbly.
        I do not think that fins make the biggest difference.
        Two are enough since you are unlikely to ride toe side on your kiteboard for
        a while though you can definitely do it on the wake board.

        Another trick for learning how to wakeboard is to start sitting in an inner
        tube. Just leave it behind in the water when you get up. You start from a
        much better stance. As soon as the boat driver hits the gas simply stand up.
        When you get back to your kite try to ride for a while sitting in a tube and
        not standing up. Try to loop the kite on one side of the window gently, not
        diving too hard and keep your speed up. Do not fly the kite too far to the
        side before you bring it back up. Use the board to try to steer down wind at
        45 degrees. This is what you will want to do without the tube.

        I will add more later but unfortunately the board is the smallest part of
        the problem.
        Kiting is easier on your arms and back than wakeboarding because you can
        hook into the chicken loop. When you get back to the kite you can try un hooked
        if it is not too windy but eventually you will want to get used to being
        hooked in.

        The hardest part of it all is managing your edging and stance as you loop
        the kite the first 2 or 3 times. After that you will have built up enough
        speed to smooth out everything.

        Think like this:
        1 dive the kite, pop up quickly (not like water skiing), and pull your back
        foot in to turn the tip of the board downwind about 45 degrees.
        2 now turn the kite up and forward, then back a little, (set it to faster
        turning. they are slow anyway), and point your board towards the kite as you
        stand up and coast while the kite is not pulling on the up stroke.
        3 Now turn the kite back down into the middle of the wind window (almost
        straight down and a little backwards if the wind is light) You will now begin
        to edge harder and turn the board more sideways or upwind as the kite pulls
        harder going through the power zone.
        Repeat 2
        Repeat 3

        Now try to make each stroke smoother and longer without flying the kite out
        of the side of the wind window.

        Let us know how that works.
        If it doesn't make sense I will send another idea.
        George

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11 11:40 AM
          HiLo
          Yah like I said before, best to use a cable water ski if youve got
          one close by, then there is no wake, just a smooth constant pull.

          Mark