Re: [ksurf] Wakeboarding lesson before a successful kitesurfing waterstart!

  • Forrest Rae
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2005
      You won't have to generate the same amount of pull with the kite because
      the kite will be pulling from a different angle. The kite will tries
      to lift you out of the water when you dive it, whereas the boat tries to
      pull you laterally across the surface of the water.

      -Forrest

      zchris_gr wrote:
      > Hi!
      >
      > This is my second post after my message about my unsuccessful
      > attempts to stand on my board and kitesurf even for a few seconds.
      >
      > I followed your advice(and thank you really very much-all of you) and
      > today i got my first wakeboarding lesson. With a 140cm wakeboard with
      > 2 fins in the middle (much wider than mine) and a lot of pull from
      > the boat i tried to stand on it and surf.
      >
      > After 6 water-starts in about 15' minutes (i was falling foreward-the
      > pull was really hard) i managed to stand and cruise for a few
      > seconds).The water was swallow and helped me when i was trying to
      > balance on the wakeboard.
      >
      > Tomorrow i have my second wakeboarding lesson. Although today i didnt
      > stand up fully on the board (i had my legs bent) i think that
      > tomorrow i will stand and cruise with better balance.
      >
      > All this happened with a lot (and constant) pull from the boat (i am
      > 82kgs - 33 years old).
      >
      > What i am thinking now is how to generate so much power with my 12m
      > kite. When my kite is set up for slow turning is difficult to move it
      > up and down and generate power (i need at least 13-15 knots of stable
      > wind). When my kite is set up for fast turning is less forgiving and
      > too reactive (and dangerous).
      >
      > Tomorror i will ask my wakeboarding teacher to use my board for the
      > lesson.
      >
      > Thanks in advace,
      >
      > Christos

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2005
        Hi Christos

        I recon your grief with your kite is the size, though youre not very
        heavy (compared to me at 140 kilos haha!!!)... I find my 9 and 12
        meter kites good for land boarding and buggyin' only, and 16,19,25
        for water. Though even 16m will be a bit touch and go for me.

        You can prob get a decent grunter from ebay:

        http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
        ViewItem&item=7173496210&category=58133&rd=1

        http://www.whitstablewindsurfing.com/hotdeals/hotdeals.aspx

        L8r

        Mark

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "zchris_gr" <zchris_gr@y...> wrote:
        > Hi!
        >
        > This is my second post after my message about my unsuccessful
        > attempts to stand on my board and kitesurf even for a few seconds.
        >
        > I followed your advice(and thank you really very much-all of you)
        and
        > today i got my first wakeboarding lesson. With a 140cm wakeboard
        with
        > 2 fins in the middle (much wider than mine) and a lot of pull from
        > the boat i tried to stand on it and surf.
        >
        > After 6 water-starts in about 15' minutes (i was falling foreward-
        the
        > pull was really hard) i managed to stand and cruise for a few
        > seconds).The water was swallow and helped me when i was trying to
        > balance on the wakeboard.
        >
        > Tomorrow i have my second wakeboarding lesson. Although today i
        didnt
        > stand up fully on the board (i had my legs bent) i think that
        > tomorrow i will stand and cruise with better balance.
        >
        > All this happened with a lot (and constant) pull from the boat (i
        am
        > 82kgs - 33 years old).
        >
        > What i am thinking now is how to generate so much power with my 12m
        > kite. When my kite is set up for slow turning is difficult to move
        it
        > up and down and generate power (i need at least 13-15 knots of
        stable
        > wind). When my kite is set up for fast turning is less forgiving
        and
        > too reactive (and dangerous).
        >
        > Tomorror i will ask my wakeboarding teacher to use my board for the
        > lesson.
        >
        > Thanks in advace,
        >
        > Christos
      • Mark
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2005
          Howdy

          Try and find a cable-water-ski, dont know where in the world you are,
          but there are 3 in the UK, loads in germany and a few in spain. The
          pull is more like a kite coming from above and not horizontal to the
          water (Dont get hooked though, kiting is loads better dood lol)...

          Mark

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Harper" <neil.harper@h...>

        • georgeiw@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2005
            Hi Chris,

            I took forever to be able to stay up and I recently went wakeboarding.

            The part of wakeboarding that is most like kiteboarding in terms of stance
            and all that is when you are outside the wake and way on the side going at an
            angle and forward with the boat.
            Use your kiteboarding board, it will work, though it might be a little
            wobbly.
            I do not think that fins make the biggest difference.
            Two are enough since you are unlikely to ride toe side on your kiteboard for
            a while though you can definitely do it on the wake board.

            Another trick for learning how to wakeboard is to start sitting in an inner
            tube. Just leave it behind in the water when you get up. You start from a
            much better stance. As soon as the boat driver hits the gas simply stand up.
            When you get back to your kite try to ride for a while sitting in a tube and
            not standing up. Try to loop the kite on one side of the window gently, not
            diving too hard and keep your speed up. Do not fly the kite too far to the
            side before you bring it back up. Use the board to try to steer down wind at
            45 degrees. This is what you will want to do without the tube.

            I will add more later but unfortunately the board is the smallest part of
            the problem.
            Kiting is easier on your arms and back than wakeboarding because you can
            hook into the chicken loop. When you get back to the kite you can try un hooked
            if it is not too windy but eventually you will want to get used to being
            hooked in.

            The hardest part of it all is managing your edging and stance as you loop
            the kite the first 2 or 3 times. After that you will have built up enough
            speed to smooth out everything.

            Think like this:
            1 dive the kite, pop up quickly (not like water skiing), and pull your back
            foot in to turn the tip of the board downwind about 45 degrees.
            2 now turn the kite up and forward, then back a little, (set it to faster
            turning. they are slow anyway), and point your board towards the kite as you
            stand up and coast while the kite is not pulling on the up stroke.
            3 Now turn the kite back down into the middle of the wind window (almost
            straight down and a little backwards if the wind is light) You will now begin
            to edge harder and turn the board more sideways or upwind as the kite pulls
            harder going through the power zone.
            Repeat 2
            Repeat 3

            Now try to make each stroke smoother and longer without flying the kite out
            of the side of the wind window.

            Let us know how that works.
            If it doesn't make sense I will send another idea.
            George

          • Mark
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 11, 2005
              HiLo
              Yah like I said before, best to use a cable water ski if youve got
              one close by, then there is no wake, just a smooth constant pull.

              Mark