RE: [ksurf] Wakeboarding lesson before a successful kitesurfing waterstart!

  • Neil Harper
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2005
      Don't worry about the power as you will find the pull less strenuous with a
      kite one because you get some vertical from the kite and two because you
      have less pull on your arms (assuming you are hooked in to your harness) :-)
      Definitely a good idea to use your kiteboard instead of a normal wakeboard
      given your goals. I can't remember the size of the board you are using but
      it is generally acknowledged that a 150cm long and fairly wide board (40cms
      or so) and smaller kite is a better combination to start off with given your
      weight I would think you would need at least 12kts of wind if not more to
      get planing upwind with a board of the size just mentioned.

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2005
        You won't have to generate the same amount of pull with the kite because
        the kite will be pulling from a different angle. The kite will tries
        to lift you out of the water when you dive it, whereas the boat tries to
        pull you laterally across the surface of the water.

        -Forrest

        zchris_gr wrote:
        > Hi!
        >
        > This is my second post after my message about my unsuccessful
        > attempts to stand on my board and kitesurf even for a few seconds.
        >
        > I followed your advice(and thank you really very much-all of you) and
        > today i got my first wakeboarding lesson. With a 140cm wakeboard with
        > 2 fins in the middle (much wider than mine) and a lot of pull from
        > the boat i tried to stand on it and surf.
        >
        > After 6 water-starts in about 15' minutes (i was falling foreward-the
        > pull was really hard) i managed to stand and cruise for a few
        > seconds).The water was swallow and helped me when i was trying to
        > balance on the wakeboard.
        >
        > Tomorrow i have my second wakeboarding lesson. Although today i didnt
        > stand up fully on the board (i had my legs bent) i think that
        > tomorrow i will stand and cruise with better balance.
        >
        > All this happened with a lot (and constant) pull from the boat (i am
        > 82kgs - 33 years old).
        >
        > What i am thinking now is how to generate so much power with my 12m
        > kite. When my kite is set up for slow turning is difficult to move it
        > up and down and generate power (i need at least 13-15 knots of stable
        > wind). When my kite is set up for fast turning is less forgiving and
        > too reactive (and dangerous).
        >
        > Tomorror i will ask my wakeboarding teacher to use my board for the
        > lesson.
        >
        > Thanks in advace,
        >
        > Christos

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2005
          Hi Christos

          I recon your grief with your kite is the size, though youre not very
          heavy (compared to me at 140 kilos haha!!!)... I find my 9 and 12
          meter kites good for land boarding and buggyin' only, and 16,19,25
          for water. Though even 16m will be a bit touch and go for me.

          You can prob get a decent grunter from ebay:

          http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
          ViewItem&item=7173496210&category=58133&rd=1

          http://www.whitstablewindsurfing.com/hotdeals/hotdeals.aspx

          L8r

          Mark

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "zchris_gr" <zchris_gr@y...> wrote:
          > Hi!
          >
          > This is my second post after my message about my unsuccessful
          > attempts to stand on my board and kitesurf even for a few seconds.
          >
          > I followed your advice(and thank you really very much-all of you)
          and
          > today i got my first wakeboarding lesson. With a 140cm wakeboard
          with
          > 2 fins in the middle (much wider than mine) and a lot of pull from
          > the boat i tried to stand on it and surf.
          >
          > After 6 water-starts in about 15' minutes (i was falling foreward-
          the
          > pull was really hard) i managed to stand and cruise for a few
          > seconds).The water was swallow and helped me when i was trying to
          > balance on the wakeboard.
          >
          > Tomorrow i have my second wakeboarding lesson. Although today i
          didnt
          > stand up fully on the board (i had my legs bent) i think that
          > tomorrow i will stand and cruise with better balance.
          >
          > All this happened with a lot (and constant) pull from the boat (i
          am
          > 82kgs - 33 years old).
          >
          > What i am thinking now is how to generate so much power with my 12m
          > kite. When my kite is set up for slow turning is difficult to move
          it
          > up and down and generate power (i need at least 13-15 knots of
          stable
          > wind). When my kite is set up for fast turning is less forgiving
          and
          > too reactive (and dangerous).
          >
          > Tomorror i will ask my wakeboarding teacher to use my board for the
          > lesson.
          >
          > Thanks in advace,
          >
          > Christos
        • Mark
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2005
            Howdy

            Try and find a cable-water-ski, dont know where in the world you are,
            but there are 3 in the UK, loads in germany and a few in spain. The
            pull is more like a kite coming from above and not horizontal to the
            water (Dont get hooked though, kiting is loads better dood lol)...

            Mark

            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Harper" <neil.harper@h...>

          • georgeiw@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3, 2005
              Hi Chris,

              I took forever to be able to stay up and I recently went wakeboarding.

              The part of wakeboarding that is most like kiteboarding in terms of stance
              and all that is when you are outside the wake and way on the side going at an
              angle and forward with the boat.
              Use your kiteboarding board, it will work, though it might be a little
              wobbly.
              I do not think that fins make the biggest difference.
              Two are enough since you are unlikely to ride toe side on your kiteboard for
              a while though you can definitely do it on the wake board.

              Another trick for learning how to wakeboard is to start sitting in an inner
              tube. Just leave it behind in the water when you get up. You start from a
              much better stance. As soon as the boat driver hits the gas simply stand up.
              When you get back to your kite try to ride for a while sitting in a tube and
              not standing up. Try to loop the kite on one side of the window gently, not
              diving too hard and keep your speed up. Do not fly the kite too far to the
              side before you bring it back up. Use the board to try to steer down wind at
              45 degrees. This is what you will want to do without the tube.

              I will add more later but unfortunately the board is the smallest part of
              the problem.
              Kiting is easier on your arms and back than wakeboarding because you can
              hook into the chicken loop. When you get back to the kite you can try un hooked
              if it is not too windy but eventually you will want to get used to being
              hooked in.

              The hardest part of it all is managing your edging and stance as you loop
              the kite the first 2 or 3 times. After that you will have built up enough
              speed to smooth out everything.

              Think like this:
              1 dive the kite, pop up quickly (not like water skiing), and pull your back
              foot in to turn the tip of the board downwind about 45 degrees.
              2 now turn the kite up and forward, then back a little, (set it to faster
              turning. they are slow anyway), and point your board towards the kite as you
              stand up and coast while the kite is not pulling on the up stroke.
              3 Now turn the kite back down into the middle of the wind window (almost
              straight down and a little backwards if the wind is light) You will now begin
              to edge harder and turn the board more sideways or upwind as the kite pulls
              harder going through the power zone.
              Repeat 2
              Repeat 3

              Now try to make each stroke smoother and longer without flying the kite out
              of the side of the wind window.

              Let us know how that works.
              If it doesn't make sense I will send another idea.
              George

            • Mark
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 11, 2005
                HiLo
                Yah like I said before, best to use a cable water ski if youve got
                one close by, then there is no wake, just a smooth constant pull.

                Mark