Re: [ksurf] You Can stand on the board! Practice.

  • crsaniv20y@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2005
      Don't know your age but wake boarding almost pulled this 17 year old with 41
      years of practice at being 17 apart. Kite boarding is much easier than wake
      boarding. My back round was shalom water skiing. My first time above the
      water under my kite was on that shalom ski. I was only up for a few seconds each
      time but what a blast.

      I had a tough time getting used to the wake board and totally bombed out on
      the surf like board. No surf experience at all.

      One person said it best about aim the board more at the kite. As far as
      going over the board or falling back into the water, Well think about how bad we
      all were at walking before our parents gave us lessons with lots of patience
      and encouragement. That is the key. Find a good teacher and save lots of time
      in the learning curve.

      Fly Safe

      Tom

    • Neil Harper
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2005
        "My back round was shalom water skiing" is that a kosher watersport :-)

        On a more serious note some instructors I have spoken to advocate a
        technique similar to that used when teaching beginners how to snowboard,
        known as a falling leaf technique, if you can imagine how a leaf might sway
        back and forth as it falls through the air you can try emulating that zig
        zag path with your board across the surface of the water (twin tips only) by
        steering the kite as if you were body dragging, but with your feet on the
        board which is in front of you. As your confidence grows you can try
        extending the distance you travel in each direction and the amount of time
        your butt is out of the water. Which will eventually lead to you making
        longer runs and then on to the holy grail of getting upwind! This is only
        any good if you have plenty of safe water downwind of you however. Stick
        with it its well worth it :-)

[...]

        to the most frequently asked questions.

        Yahoo! Groups Links