Re: [ksurf] Cannot stand on the board! Almost disappointed (not alone!!)

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2 3:04 AM
      Yes sorry, X-on >X is ideal. Only thing is youre never going to get a
      directly X shore wind, and if it starts to turn off shore you might
      not notice, or not untill you cant see land anymore. While dragging
      in North Cyprus I had the space to practice with X-on-on as there was
      loads of space and can keep the rig under full control, usually.
      Would also walk the sail out at least 80 meters first to clear the
      shore (is why I mentioned keep water shallow if possible) depends on
      location onviously. If any people should wander into my local, I
      would just park the kite and wait for dangers to pass.

      In a previous messgae to someone else, someone mentioned try a
      wakeboard before taking to kitesurfing to get a feel and control for
      the board. Better still youd be better off Cable-Waterskiing as the
      pull is more from above (45%ish) that horrizontal to the skiier. I
      instructed cable wake boarding since cable ski's started in the UK,
      also did some windsurf instrcting a few years ago and realise once
      you get the board control down at a moderate lick you can more or
      less forget your kite board and get down with your kite.

      Hi Leo, with the cableski wake riding, when launching you get your
      butt down over the trailing edge of the board, back leg/knee at about
      90% and front leg bent enough to take initial thrust of the launch.
      In this position you can launch at virtually any speed within reason.
      Kinda hoping kiting flollows a sim principle. Ive bought a buggy to
      try and get a better idea how a kite handles whilst in motion.

      Catch you l8r
      Mark

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Leo Peers" <leopeers@h...> wrote:
      > Just a small note. Onshore wind is dangerous as you could be lofted
      and head
      > straight for the beach, putting other beach users and yourself at
      risk.

      > Side-onshore is the best as you will be parallel to the beach.
      >
      > Keep trying with the waterstart. Once you have it, it's like riding
      a bike
      > and you'll never look back! My tip: with your front foot point the
      board
      > towards the direction of the kite as you dive it (almost downwind)
      with your
      > backleg tucked in by your ass! Once you have a little speed
      downwind, start
      > edging to control the power, twist your hips and look with your
      head upwind
      > and where you want to go.
      >
      > Good winds.
      >
      > >From: "Mark" <mrmawalker@y...>
      > >To: kitesurf@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: Re: [ksurf] Cannot stand on the board! Almost
      disappointed (not
      > >alone!!)
      > >Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 07:34:12 -0000
      > >
      > >Hi
      > >
      > >Also, do loads of dragging without your board, you get to learn the
      > >characteristics of your sail ready for your board. Find shallow
      > >waters too, if you can, to start. Not more than chest deep if
      > >possible.
      > >
      > >(Remember, on-shore only dood)
      > >
      > >Mark
      > >

      > >--- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, alex.unsworth@u... wrote:
      > > > Chris - you are far from alone in struggling to get to grips
      with
      > >this awesome sport. I've been waiting for the wind and getting
      > >dragged through the water for over a year and still have not
      > >mastered it.
      > > >
      > > > Here's some tips:
      > > > 1) Try wakeboarding for a day to pick up your board skills and
      get
      > >used to the fast start on to the board
      > > >
      > > > 2) Try with a bigger kite sometime (keep it away from full
      power) -
      > > it's much easier to pull yourself up (vertically)
      > > >
      > > > 3) Mess around in the water in position to get up on to the
      board,
      > >but not actually trying to get up. Do it for ages. Then it will
      come.

      > > > Believe me it will come and then you'll very quickly forget
      what a
      > >pain in the arse it was to work out. Until you're prompted by
      > >reading a plea like yours!
      > > >
      > > > I've written up almost all my tears and tribulations while on
      the
      > >way here:
      > > > http://waitingforthewind.blogspot.com
      > > >
      > > > Cheers,
      > > > Alex
      > > > aka Fat Chicken

      On
      > > > Behalf Of zchris_gr
      > > > Sent: 02 August 2005 16:32
      > > > To: kitesurf@yahoogroups.com
      > > > Subject: [ksurf] Cannot stand on the board! Almost dissapointed
      > > >

      > > > Dear All,
      > > >
      > > > I have a 12m Naish V4 and a 160cm board (2-fins only). I have
      > >spent
      > > > hours and hours in the water in order to learn how to waterstart
      > >and
      > > > get on the board. With winds varying from 13-17knots i have
      tried
      > > > many times the powedive but always something happens and i
      cannot
      > > > stand on the board and i fall foreward and backward.
      > > >
      > > > I have tried the waterstard hooked and unhooked.
      > > >
      > > > Most of the time i am using the "slow turning" setting of the
      kite
      > >in
      > > > order not to fall on the water. I am using this setting also
      > >because
      > > > twise i lost control of my kite and it started looping in the
      air
      > >and
      > > > dragged me violently a lot of meters downwind.
      > > >
      > > > I understand that it takes time to learn how to kitesurf but how
      > > > difficult is to learn. I am almost dissapointed.
      > > >
      > > > Any good tip or advice?
      > > >
      > > > Chris
      > > >
      > > > PS: About the theory i am following the guidelined from
      > > > kitesurfingschool.org
      > > >

      > > > If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit
      > > > http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for the answers
      > > > to the most frequently asked questions.
      > > >
      > > > === to unsubscribe, please send an email to kitesurf-
      > >unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > > >

      > > > This communication is issued by UBS AG or an affiliate ("UBS")
      > > > institutional investors only. It is for informational purposes
      and
      > >is
      > > > not guaranteed as to accuracy, nor is it a complete statement of
      > >the
      > > > financial products or markets referred to. Opinions expressed
      are
      > > > subject to change without notice and may differ or be contrary
      > >the
      > > > opinions or recommendations expressed by other business areas or
      > > > groups of UBS as a result of using different assumptions and
      > >criteria.
      > > > UBS may maintain long or short positions in the financial
      > >instruments
      > > > referred to and may transact in them as principal or agent.
      Unless
      > > > stated specifically otherwise, this is not a recommendation,
      offer
      > >or
      > > > solicitation to buy or sell and any prices or quotations
      contained
      > > > herein are indicative only. UBS may provide investment banking
      and
      > > > other services to, and/or its officers/employees may serve as
      > > > directors of, the companies referred to in this material. To the
      > > > extent permitted by law, UBS does not accept any liability
      arising
      > > > from the use of this communication. Additional information or
      UBS