Re: [ksurf] Cannot stand on the board! Almost disappointed (not alone!!)

  • Leo Peers
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005
      Just a small note. Onshore wind is dangerous as you could be lofted and head
      straight for the beach, putting other beach users and yourself at risk.

      Side-onshore is the best as you will be parallel to the beach.

      Keep trying with the waterstart. Once you have it, it's like riding a bike
      and you'll never look back! My tip: with your front foot point the board
      towards the direction of the kite as you dive it (almost downwind) with your
      backleg tucked in by your ass! Once you have a little speed downwind, start
      edging to control the power, twist your hips and look with your head upwind
      and where you want to go.

      Good winds.

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005
        Yes sorry, X-on >X is ideal. Only thing is youre never going to get a
        directly X shore wind, and if it starts to turn off shore you might
        not notice, or not untill you cant see land anymore. While dragging
        in North Cyprus I had the space to practice with X-on-on as there was
        loads of space and can keep the rig under full control, usually.
        Would also walk the sail out at least 80 meters first to clear the
        shore (is why I mentioned keep water shallow if possible) depends on
        location onviously. If any people should wander into my local, I
        would just park the kite and wait for dangers to pass.

        In a previous messgae to someone else, someone mentioned try a
        wakeboard before taking to kitesurfing to get a feel and control for
        the board. Better still youd be better off Cable-Waterskiing as the
        pull is more from above (45%ish) that horrizontal to the skiier. I
        instructed cable wake boarding since cable ski's started in the UK,
        also did some windsurf instrcting a few years ago and realise once
        you get the board control down at a moderate lick you can more or
        less forget your kite board and get down with your kite.

        Hi Leo, with the cableski wake riding, when launching you get your
        butt down over the trailing edge of the board, back leg/knee at about
        90% and front leg bent enough to take initial thrust of the launch.
        In this position you can launch at virtually any speed within reason.
        Kinda hoping kiting flollows a sim principle. Ive bought a buggy to
        try and get a better idea how a kite handles whilst in motion.

        Catch you l8r
        Mark