Re: [ksurf] Cannot stand on the board! Almost disappointed (not alone!!)

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005
      Hi

      Also, do loads of dragging without your board, you get to learn the
      characteristics of your sail ready for your board. Find shallow
      waters too, if you can, to start. Not more than chest deep if
      possible.

      (Remember, on-shore only dood)

      Mark

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, alex.unsworth@u... wrote:
      > Chris - you are far from alone in struggling to get to grips with
      this awesome sport. I've been waiting for the wind and getting
      dragged through the water for over a year and still have not
      mastered it.

      > Here's some tips:
      > 1) Try wakeboarding for a day to pick up your board skills and get
      used to the fast start on to the board

      > 2) Try with a bigger kite sometime (keep it away from full power) -
      it's much easier to pull yourself up (vertically)

      > 3) Mess around in the water in position to get up on to the board,
      but not actually trying to get up. Do it for ages. Then it will come.

      > Believe me it will come and then you'll very quickly forget what a
      pain in the arse it was to work out. Until you're prompted by
      reading a plea like yours!

      unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      > This communication is issued by UBS AG or an affiliate ("UBS") to
      > institutional investors only. It is for informational purposes and
      is
      > not guaranteed as to accuracy, nor is it a complete statement of
      the
      > financial products or markets referred to. Opinions expressed are
      > subject to change without notice and may differ or be contrary to
      the
      > opinions or recommendations expressed by other business areas or
      > groups of UBS as a result of using different assumptions and
      criteria.
      > UBS may maintain long or short positions in the financial
      instruments
      > referred to and may transact in them as principal or agent. Unless
      > stated specifically otherwise, this is not a recommendation, offer
      or
      > solicitation to buy or sell and any prices or quotations contained
      > herein are indicative only. UBS may provide investment banking and
      > other services to, and/or its officers/employees may serve as
      > directors of, the companies referred to in this material. To the
      > extent permitted by law, UBS does not accept any liability arising
      > from the use of this communication. Additional information or UBS
      > Investment Research is available upon request.
      >
      > Copyright 2005 UBS. All rights reserved. Intended for recipient
      only
      > and not for further distribution without the consent of UBS.
    • Leo Peers
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005
        Just a small note. Onshore wind is dangerous as you could be lofted and head
        straight for the beach, putting other beach users and yourself at risk.

        Side-onshore is the best as you will be parallel to the beach.

        Keep trying with the waterstart. Once you have it, it's like riding a bike
        and you'll never look back! My tip: with your front foot point the board
        towards the direction of the kite as you dive it (almost downwind) with your
        backleg tucked in by your ass! Once you have a little speed downwind, start
        edging to control the power, twist your hips and look with your head upwind
        and where you want to go.

        Good winds.

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005
          Yes sorry, X-on >X is ideal. Only thing is youre never going to get a
          directly X shore wind, and if it starts to turn off shore you might
          not notice, or not untill you cant see land anymore. While dragging
          in North Cyprus I had the space to practice with X-on-on as there was
          loads of space and can keep the rig under full control, usually.
          Would also walk the sail out at least 80 meters first to clear the
          shore (is why I mentioned keep water shallow if possible) depends on
          location onviously. If any people should wander into my local, I
          would just park the kite and wait for dangers to pass.

          In a previous messgae to someone else, someone mentioned try a
          wakeboard before taking to kitesurfing to get a feel and control for
          the board. Better still youd be better off Cable-Waterskiing as the
          pull is more from above (45%ish) that horrizontal to the skiier. I
          instructed cable wake boarding since cable ski's started in the UK,
          also did some windsurf instrcting a few years ago and realise once
          you get the board control down at a moderate lick you can more or
          less forget your kite board and get down with your kite.

          Hi Leo, with the cableski wake riding, when launching you get your
          butt down over the trailing edge of the board, back leg/knee at about
          90% and front leg bent enough to take initial thrust of the launch.
          In this position you can launch at virtually any speed within reason.
          Kinda hoping kiting flollows a sim principle. Ive bought a buggy to
          try and get a better idea how a kite handles whilst in motion.

          Catch you l8r
          Mark