Cannot stand on the board! Almost dissapointed

  • zchris_gr
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
      Dear All,

      I have a 12m Naish V4 and a 160cm board (2-fins only). I have spent
      hours and hours in the water in order to learn how to waterstart and
      get on the board. With winds varying from 13-17knots i have tried
      many times the powedive but always something happens and i cannot
      stand on the board and i fall foreward and backward.

      I have tried the waterstard hooked and unhooked.

      Most of the time i am using the "slow turning" setting of the kite in
      order not to fall on the water. I am using this setting also because
      twise i lost control of my kite and it started looping in the air and
      dragged me violently a lot of meters downwind.

      I understand that it takes time to learn how to kitesurf but how
      difficult is to learn. I am almost dissapointed.

      Any good tip or advice?

      Chris

      PS: About the theory i am following the guidelined from
      kitesurfingschool.org
    • ex_cpe
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
        > I have a 12m Naish V4 and a 160cm board (2-fins only).

        .......you should have mentioned your weight along with: wind speed - kite size - and butt
        lard... all are calculated. Also, a 2-finned board sounds a little unusual - give us a better
        idea of what it looks like, brand, etc.. The kite is top shelf, so that's not at issue.

        I have spent
        > hours and hours in the water in order to learn how to waterstart and
        > get on the board. With winds varying from 13-17knots i have tried
        > many times the powedive but always something happens and i cannot
        > stand on the board and i fall foreward and backward.
        >
        > I have tried the waterstard hooked and unhooked.

        ........stay hooked in. Seat or waist harness?

        > Most of the time i am using the "slow turning" setting of the kite in
        > order not to fall on the water. I am using this setting also because
        > twise i lost control of my kite and it started looping in the air and
        > dragged me violently a lot of meters downwind.

        .......keep your hands away from the extreme ends of the bar 'till you can anticipate the
        kite's next move. Hands closer in will help limit the wide power swings. ALWAYS release
        to leash if you feel out of control at all. Besides, you need the relaunch practice.

        > I understand that it takes time to learn how to kitesurf but how
        > difficult is to learn. I am almost dissapointed.

        ......It's hard as sh_t - 'till the day you get it.

        I'll echo one of the earlier postings: lie back in the water with your forward foot higher
        than trailing (to keep the nose of the board out of the water) ...keeping kite at zenith 'till
        you're settled.. swing the kite back a bit to about 1 o'clock (or 11 depending which tack
        you are on) ...then dive the sucker. The minute you can see it's headed down - PULL it
        back UP. ( don't linger at the pretty site of a kite at speed).

        You just got a shot in the ass which gave you a big yank. IF the front of the board was out
        of the water... IF the nose of the board was 45 degrees (half the angle of where you'd
        think you'd like to head off to and the position of the kite) then you are now out of the
        water and have already started the kite back down - you did remember the kite, eh? (only
        swing the kite past 12 for that first time to get your ass out of the water)

        As the kite is giving you another power spike, headed down - you lean back to counter the
        kite which almost naturally points the board upwind. You then either have enouh power to
        park the kite at 10 or 11 which is a great assist in keeing your board balance - or you
        gotta sine the hell out of the kite whilst keeping the board under your center by falling
        back and coming over it during the ebb and spikes of power.

        If you are sining the kite and having to balance like walking on a railroad track - then
        you're headed downwind, but you can still finesse and stay up like a ballet dancer. If that's
        the case: keep the kite high to help hold you up. If you have enough power: you can drag
        your upwind hand in the water without falling backwards.

        I'm not a fan of the 'point the board toward the kite'. As soon as you're up with any juice -
        you're on a direct slide forward; shortly to loose your balance ...and you'll also depower
        the kite by heading toward it. Save that move for those 'Oh S__t!' times.

        By the way: I don't mind if you quit. There's too many people taking this up with the
        attendant pressure on launch sites and liability to civilians. If you continue: stay well away
        from civilians and read all the posts you can written by Rick Iossi.

        ...and stay the hell aways from my launch.

        Good luck

        jim

        (apology for any spellign or grammer errors - it's too long to proof)
      • zc
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
          OK,

          I am 82Kgr and have a Surfactory 157cm board, I have removed 2 of the 4 fins. I have a Naish seat harness.

          I will not quit, believe me

          Thank you really for your help

          Christos

          to the most frequently asked questions.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • ex_cpe
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, zc <zchris_gr@y...> wrote:
            > OK,
            >
            > I am 82Kgr and have a Surfactory 157cm board, I have removed 2 of the 4 fins. I have a
            Naish seat harness.

            Chris: Your kite is probably too small. I'm 85kg and my kite for those winds is a 16M. I
            prefer to work the lower half of a kite's range because I have grapes instead of coconuts in
            my shorts but I also don't like to work my ass off to have fun.

            I'd personally not mess with cable parks and wakeboats. Not only are you a beginner in
            this sport - you'd be a beginner in another at the exact same time. The few guys I've met
            who were accomplished wakeboarders did certainly have an advantge over us bipeds.
            ...but you can probably add qualified snowboarders, skaters and stunt-kite flyers to the
            list.

            I suspect a waist harness may be easier to learn on because the bar is mostly above your
            shoulders and the UP pull above your body's C/L is very helpful at this point. The board is
            fine too, but put those fins back on. 'Can't imagine why you took them off?

            Safety first - fun second. Always wear a rubber.

            jim