Re: [ksurf] Re: w/2005punchout bar:how to flip kite when LE down?

  • loco4olas
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
      Disagree Chris.

      Detaching from the bar can lead to all types of line tangles and a difficult
      relaunch.

      Just have your LE pumped enough and swim at the kite hard with the bar STILL
      attached to your harness.

      I kite exclusively in the surf and have no trouble relaunching most of the
      time.

      Loco

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
        Hmmm... I didn't realize that the puchout bar had no other leash
        than the one clipped just above the chicken loop. Maybe you should
        unclip it from there and temporarily clip it onto your spreader bar
        before unhooking your chicken loop.

        You don't want to be without a leash in case you cannot hang on.

        And keeping hooked into the bar is fine, but it is easier to flip
        the kite on its back if you detach and hold your bar in front of you
        in one hand while you swim. This just creates a little more slack in
        the lines. It also allows you to feel when the kite has flipped on
        its back as you swim, because all the pressure on the bar stops.
        (You should be swimming hard and not really able to look up.)

        More experieinced kiters may not need to unhook. And some chicken
        loops may not let you unhook easily.

        Having said all this, with my 5th line system, I haven't had to do
        this in a long time ..thankfully.

        Chris Glazier

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
          Out of interest, how much extra grief is it having a 5th line? What
          are the expenses incured? is it something a novice could do?

          Mark
          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Glazier" <cglazier@c...>

        • CCKiteboarder@hotpop.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
            5th line to the leading edge is no extra grief - unless - you hindenburg your kite - which a
            beginner is quite likely to do on occassion - especially if flying in light wind - as it
            seems you might be.
            My guess is the reason you are having so much trouble getting the kite to roll onto it's back
            is because you are out in light wind. Yes? If so - a fifth line really helps to roll the
            kite - but be careful not to luff the kite at the top of the window.

            Steve

          • Chris Glazier
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
              The North and Naish 5th line systems have been around almost a full
              season and are well liked by everyone that uses them including
              beginners. Do a search on this topic and you will find lots of
              discussion.

              You can add a 5th to any old kite, but it is far better to buy one
              with the real professional system. If you are on a budget, you will
              start seeing some used 2005 Naish/North 5 line kites available soon
              as the 2006 models are starting to be announced.
              :-)
              Chris Glazier

            • Mark
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
                Nice one, cheers dood. Thing id ive just finished building a 6 kite
                quiver, none with LEI's :o) 3x 2004 Naish's, Peter Lynn G2, 2004
                Slingshot Fuel, Flexifoil Strike.

                I'll take a gander at some images if I find any.....

                Thanks again m8

                wrote:
                > The North and Naish 5th line systems have been around almost a full
                > season and are well liked by everyone that uses them including
                > beginners. Do a search on this topic and you will find lots of
                > discussion.
                >
                > You can add a 5th to any old kite, but it is far better to buy one
                > with the real professional system. If you are on a budget, you will
                > start seeing some used 2005 Naish/North 5 line kites available soon
                > as the 2006 models are starting to be announced.
                > :-)
                > Chris Glazier
                >

                > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mrmawalker@y...> wrote:
                > > Out of interest, how much extra grief is it having a 5th line?
                > What
                > > are the expenses incured? is it something a novice could do?
                > >
                > > Mark
                > > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Glazier" <cglazier@c...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > Hmmm... I didn't realize that the puchout bar had no other
                leash
                > > > than the one clipped just above the chicken loop. Maybe you
                > should
                > > > unclip it from there and temporarily clip it onto your spreader
                > bar
                > > > before unhooking your chicken loop.
                > > >
                > > > You don't want to be without a leash in case you cannot hang on.
                > > >
                > > > And keeping hooked into the bar is fine, but it is easier to
                > flip
                > > > the kite on its back if you detach and hold your bar in front
                of
                > > you
                > > > in one hand while you swim. This just creates a little more
                > slack
                > > in
                > > > the lines. It also allows you to feel when the kite has flipped
                > on
                > > > its back as you swim, because all the pressure on the bar
                stops.
                > > > (You should be swimming hard and not really able to look up.)
                > > >
                > > > More experieinced kiters may not need to unhook. And some
                > chicken
                > > > loops may not let you unhook easily.
                > > >
                > > > Having said all this, with my 5th line system, I haven't had to
                > do
                > > > this in a long time ..thankfully.
                > > >
                > > > Chris Glazier
                > > >

                > > > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "loco4olas" <loco4olas@h...>

                > and
                > > > difficult

                > > the
                > > > bar STILL

                > > > most of the

              • Thierry Dehove
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
                  Hello you will find hereafter my newsletter.
                  Welcome to Anguilla and St martin.
                  http://www.tropical-paradise.net/Tropical-Paradise-news-May.html

                  Enjoy,
                  Thierry Dehove