Re: [ksurf] Re: w/2005punchout bar:how to flip kite when LE down?

  • dan ddaaan
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2005
      thanks again Chris !! really appreciated the responses
      since i don't know any kitesurfers.

      on my old kitebar (with arm leash to bar), i did as u
      stated and it always worked. with this new bar, same
      method (as u stated) but i hope the kite doesn't fly
      away before i grab that bar again, since the leash is
      a spinning leash attached to the chicken loop (no
      leash for a few seconds).

      the pdf manual :
      http://oceanrodeo.com/pdf/PunchOutBarManual_2005.pdf

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • loco4olas
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
        Disagree Chris.

        Detaching from the bar can lead to all types of line tangles and a difficult
        relaunch.

        Just have your LE pumped enough and swim at the kite hard with the bar STILL
        attached to your harness.

        I kite exclusively in the surf and have no trouble relaunching most of the
        time.

        Loco

        > I don't know about the punchout bar specifically. But generally it is
        > much easier to ge the kite to flip on its back if you unhook as you
        > swim hard toward the kite. Be sure to let the lines go slack or the
        > kite will not roll on its back.
        >
        > When it rolls onto its back, immediately hook into your chicken loop.
        > Then as you pull on one back line to get the kite to drift over to one
        > side, you will be ready for it to relaunch.
        >
        > If it relaunches while you are not hooked in, you will have one or two
        > chances to bring the bar in close and hook in ..before your strength
        > gives out. If you are still not hooked in and have not much strength
        > left, quickly grab the chicken loop with one hand and then the other
        > (letting go of the bar). You can then usually pull the chicken loop
        > down to your hook using both hands. Then of course reach up and grab
        > the bar again.
        > :-)
        > Chris Glazier
        >

        > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "dan9871" <dan9871@y...> wrote:
        >> I have your punchout 2005 bar on my 4line kite. when
        >> the kite crashes LE down, when i swim towards the
        >> kite,the lines remain taut (tight) since i'm still
        >> hooked in (spinning leash is on too). i think the
        >> lines need slack in them for the kite to roll over
        >> downwind but it's now possible. am i suppose to unhook
        >> (thus spinning leash is not on) and swim with the bar
        >> in my hand towards the kite (thus lines will get some
        >> slack) ? if so, i run the risk that the kite will
        >> launch and my arm strength must be able NOT to let go
        >> of the bar or i will lose the kite.
        >>
        >> Thanks
        >> Daniel.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Chris Glazier
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
          Hmmm... I didn't realize that the puchout bar had no other leash
          than the one clipped just above the chicken loop. Maybe you should
          unclip it from there and temporarily clip it onto your spreader bar
          before unhooking your chicken loop.

          You don't want to be without a leash in case you cannot hang on.

          And keeping hooked into the bar is fine, but it is easier to flip
          the kite on its back if you detach and hold your bar in front of you
          in one hand while you swim. This just creates a little more slack in
          the lines. It also allows you to feel when the kite has flipped on
          its back as you swim, because all the pressure on the bar stops.
          (You should be swimming hard and not really able to look up.)

          More experieinced kiters may not need to unhook. And some chicken
          loops may not let you unhook easily.

          Having said all this, with my 5th line system, I haven't had to do
          this in a long time ..thankfully.

          Chris Glazier

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
            Out of interest, how much extra grief is it having a 5th line? What
            are the expenses incured? is it something a novice could do?

            Mark
            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Glazier" <cglazier@c...>

          • CCKiteboarder@hotpop.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
              5th line to the leading edge is no extra grief - unless - you hindenburg your kite - which a
              beginner is quite likely to do on occassion - especially if flying in light wind - as it
              seems you might be.
              My guess is the reason you are having so much trouble getting the kite to roll onto it's back
              is because you are out in light wind. Yes? If so - a fifth line really helps to roll the
              kite - but be careful not to luff the kite at the top of the window.

              Steve

            • Chris Glazier
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
                The North and Naish 5th line systems have been around almost a full
                season and are well liked by everyone that uses them including
                beginners. Do a search on this topic and you will find lots of
                discussion.

                You can add a 5th to any old kite, but it is far better to buy one
                with the real professional system. If you are on a budget, you will
                start seeing some used 2005 Naish/North 5 line kites available soon
                as the 2006 models are starting to be announced.
                :-)
                Chris Glazier

              • Mark
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
                  Nice one, cheers dood. Thing id ive just finished building a 6 kite
                  quiver, none with LEI's :o) 3x 2004 Naish's, Peter Lynn G2, 2004
                  Slingshot Fuel, Flexifoil Strike.

                  I'll take a gander at some images if I find any.....

                  Thanks again m8

                  wrote:
                  > The North and Naish 5th line systems have been around almost a full
                  > season and are well liked by everyone that uses them including
                  > beginners. Do a search on this topic and you will find lots of
                  > discussion.
                  >
                  > You can add a 5th to any old kite, but it is far better to buy one
                  > with the real professional system. If you are on a budget, you will
                  > start seeing some used 2005 Naish/North 5 line kites available soon
                  > as the 2006 models are starting to be announced.
                  > :-)
                  > Chris Glazier
                  >

                  > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mrmawalker@y...> wrote:
                  > > Out of interest, how much extra grief is it having a 5th line?
                  > What
                  > > are the expenses incured? is it something a novice could do?
                  > >
                  > > Mark
                  > > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Glazier" <cglazier@c...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > > Hmmm... I didn't realize that the puchout bar had no other
                  leash
                  > > > than the one clipped just above the chicken loop. Maybe you
                  > should
                  > > > unclip it from there and temporarily clip it onto your spreader
                  > bar
                  > > > before unhooking your chicken loop.
                  > > >
                  > > > You don't want to be without a leash in case you cannot hang on.
                  > > >
                  > > > And keeping hooked into the bar is fine, but it is easier to
                  > flip
                  > > > the kite on its back if you detach and hold your bar in front
                  of
                  > > you
                  > > > in one hand while you swim. This just creates a little more
                  > slack
                  > > in
                  > > > the lines. It also allows you to feel when the kite has flipped
                  > on
                  > > > its back as you swim, because all the pressure on the bar
                  stops.
                  > > > (You should be swimming hard and not really able to look up.)
                  > > >
                  > > > More experieinced kiters may not need to unhook. And some
                  > chicken
                  > > > loops may not let you unhook easily.
                  > > >
                  > > > Having said all this, with my 5th line system, I haven't had to
                  > do
                  > > > this in a long time ..thankfully.
                  > > >
                  > > > Chris Glazier
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "loco4olas" <loco4olas@h...>

                  > and
                  > > > difficult

                  > > the
                  > > > bar STILL

                  > > > most of the

                • Thierry Dehove
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
                    Hello you will find hereafter my newsletter.
                    Welcome to Anguilla and St martin.
                    http://www.tropical-paradise.net/Tropical-Paradise-news-May.html

                    Enjoy,
                    Thierry Dehove