w/2005punchout bar:how to flip kite when LE down?

  • dan9871
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 30, 2005
      I have your punchout 2005 bar on my 4line kite. when
      the kite crashes LE down, when i swim towards the
      kite,the lines remain taut (tight) since i'm still
      hooked in (spinning leash is on too). i think the
      lines need slack in them for the kite to roll over
      downwind but it's now possible. am i suppose to unhook
      (thus spinning leash is not on) and swim with the bar
      in my hand towards the kite (thus lines will get some
      slack) ? if so, i run the risk that the kite will
      launch and my arm strength must be able NOT to let go
      of the bar or i will lose the kite.

      Thanks
      Daniel.
    • Chris Glazier
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 31, 2005
        Hi Daniel
        I don't know about the punchout bar specifically. But generally it is
        much easier to ge the kite to flip on its back if you unhook as you
        swim hard toward the kite. Be sure to let the lines go slack or the
        kite will not roll on its back.

        When it rolls onto its back, immediately hook into your chicken loop.
        Then as you pull on one back line to get the kite to drift over to one
        side, you will be ready for it to relaunch.

        If it relaunches while you are not hooked in, you will have one or two
        chances to bring the bar in close and hook in ..before your strength
        gives out. If you are still not hooked in and have not much strength
        left, quickly grab the chicken loop with one hand and then the other
        (letting go of the bar). You can then usually pull the chicken loop
        down to your hook using both hands. Then of course reach up and grab
        the bar again.
        :-)
        Chris Glazier

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "dan9871" <dan9871@y...> wrote:
        > I have your punchout 2005 bar on my 4line kite. when
        > the kite crashes LE down, when i swim towards the
        > kite,the lines remain taut (tight) since i'm still
        > hooked in (spinning leash is on too). i think the
        > lines need slack in them for the kite to roll over
        > downwind but it's now possible. am i suppose to unhook
        > (thus spinning leash is not on) and swim with the bar
        > in my hand towards the kite (thus lines will get some
        > slack) ? if so, i run the risk that the kite will
        > launch and my arm strength must be able NOT to let go
        > of the bar or i will lose the kite.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Daniel.
      • dan ddaaan
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 31, 2005
          thanks again Chris !! really appreciated the responses
          since i don't know any kitesurfers.

          on my old kitebar (with arm leash to bar), i did as u
          stated and it always worked. with this new bar, same
          method (as u stated) but i hope the kite doesn't fly
          away before i grab that bar again, since the leash is
          a spinning leash attached to the chicken loop (no
          leash for a few seconds).

          the pdf manual :
          http://oceanrodeo.com/pdf/PunchOutBarManual_2005.pdf

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • loco4olas
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
            Disagree Chris.

            Detaching from the bar can lead to all types of line tangles and a difficult
            relaunch.

            Just have your LE pumped enough and swim at the kite hard with the bar STILL
            attached to your harness.

            I kite exclusively in the surf and have no trouble relaunching most of the
            time.

            Loco

            > I don't know about the punchout bar specifically. But generally it is
            > much easier to ge the kite to flip on its back if you unhook as you
            > swim hard toward the kite. Be sure to let the lines go slack or the
            > kite will not roll on its back.
            >
            > When it rolls onto its back, immediately hook into your chicken loop.
            > Then as you pull on one back line to get the kite to drift over to one
            > side, you will be ready for it to relaunch.
            >
            > If it relaunches while you are not hooked in, you will have one or two
            > chances to bring the bar in close and hook in ..before your strength
            > gives out. If you are still not hooked in and have not much strength
            > left, quickly grab the chicken loop with one hand and then the other
            > (letting go of the bar). You can then usually pull the chicken loop
            > down to your hook using both hands. Then of course reach up and grab
            > the bar again.
            > :-)
            > Chris Glazier
            >

            > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "dan9871" <dan9871@y...> wrote:
            >> I have your punchout 2005 bar on my 4line kite. when
            >> the kite crashes LE down, when i swim towards the
            >> kite,the lines remain taut (tight) since i'm still
            >> hooked in (spinning leash is on too). i think the
            >> lines need slack in them for the kite to roll over
            >> downwind but it's now possible. am i suppose to unhook
            >> (thus spinning leash is not on) and swim with the bar
            >> in my hand towards the kite (thus lines will get some
            >> slack) ? if so, i run the risk that the kite will
            >> launch and my arm strength must be able NOT to let go
            >> of the bar or i will lose the kite.
            >>
            >> Thanks
            >> Daniel.

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Chris Glazier
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
              Hmmm... I didn't realize that the puchout bar had no other leash
              than the one clipped just above the chicken loop. Maybe you should
              unclip it from there and temporarily clip it onto your spreader bar
              before unhooking your chicken loop.

              You don't want to be without a leash in case you cannot hang on.

              And keeping hooked into the bar is fine, but it is easier to flip
              the kite on its back if you detach and hold your bar in front of you
              in one hand while you swim. This just creates a little more slack in
              the lines. It also allows you to feel when the kite has flipped on
              its back as you swim, because all the pressure on the bar stops.
              (You should be swimming hard and not really able to look up.)

              More experieinced kiters may not need to unhook. And some chicken
              loops may not let you unhook easily.

              Having said all this, with my 5th line system, I haven't had to do
              this in a long time ..thankfully.

              Chris Glazier

            • Mark
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
                Out of interest, how much extra grief is it having a 5th line? What
                are the expenses incured? is it something a novice could do?

                Mark
                --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Glazier" <cglazier@c...>

              • CCKiteboarder@hotpop.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
                  5th line to the leading edge is no extra grief - unless - you hindenburg your kite - which a
                  beginner is quite likely to do on occassion - especially if flying in light wind - as it
                  seems you might be.
                  My guess is the reason you are having so much trouble getting the kite to roll onto it's back
                  is because you are out in light wind. Yes? If so - a fifth line really helps to roll the
                  kite - but be careful not to luff the kite at the top of the window.

                  Steve

                • Chris Glazier
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
                    The North and Naish 5th line systems have been around almost a full
                    season and are well liked by everyone that uses them including
                    beginners. Do a search on this topic and you will find lots of
                    discussion.

                    You can add a 5th to any old kite, but it is far better to buy one
                    with the real professional system. If you are on a budget, you will
                    start seeing some used 2005 Naish/North 5 line kites available soon
                    as the 2006 models are starting to be announced.
                    :-)
                    Chris Glazier

                  • Mark
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
                      Nice one, cheers dood. Thing id ive just finished building a 6 kite
                      quiver, none with LEI's :o) 3x 2004 Naish's, Peter Lynn G2, 2004
                      Slingshot Fuel, Flexifoil Strike.

                      I'll take a gander at some images if I find any.....

                      Thanks again m8

                      wrote:
                      > The North and Naish 5th line systems have been around almost a full
                      > season and are well liked by everyone that uses them including
                      > beginners. Do a search on this topic and you will find lots of
                      > discussion.
                      >
                      > You can add a 5th to any old kite, but it is far better to buy one
                      > with the real professional system. If you are on a budget, you will
                      > start seeing some used 2005 Naish/North 5 line kites available soon
                      > as the 2006 models are starting to be announced.
                      > :-)
                      > Chris Glazier
                      >

                      > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mrmawalker@y...> wrote:
                      > > Out of interest, how much extra grief is it having a 5th line?
                      > What
                      > > are the expenses incured? is it something a novice could do?
                      > >
                      > > Mark
                      > > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Glazier" <cglazier@c...>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > > Hmmm... I didn't realize that the puchout bar had no other
                      leash
                      > > > than the one clipped just above the chicken loop. Maybe you
                      > should
                      > > > unclip it from there and temporarily clip it onto your spreader
                      > bar
                      > > > before unhooking your chicken loop.
                      > > >
                      > > > You don't want to be without a leash in case you cannot hang on.
                      > > >
                      > > > And keeping hooked into the bar is fine, but it is easier to
                      > flip
                      > > > the kite on its back if you detach and hold your bar in front
                      of
                      > > you
                      > > > in one hand while you swim. This just creates a little more
                      > slack
                      > > in
                      > > > the lines. It also allows you to feel when the kite has flipped
                      > on
                      > > > its back as you swim, because all the pressure on the bar
                      stops.
                      > > > (You should be swimming hard and not really able to look up.)
                      > > >
                      > > > More experieinced kiters may not need to unhook. And some
                      > chicken
                      > > > loops may not let you unhook easily.
                      > > >
                      > > > Having said all this, with my 5th line system, I haven't had to
                      > do
                      > > > this in a long time ..thankfully.
                      > > >
                      > > > Chris Glazier
                      > > >

                      > > > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "loco4olas" <loco4olas@h...>

                      > and
                      > > > difficult

                      > > the
                      > > > bar STILL

                      > > > most of the

                    • Thierry Dehove
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
                        Hello you will find hereafter my newsletter.
                        Welcome to Anguilla and St martin.
                        http://www.tropical-paradise.net/Tropical-Paradise-news-May.html

                        Enjoy,
                        Thierry Dehove